KSC-75, iGrado or PX100/200?
Nov 30, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #16 of 30
The PX100s are "subtle" if that's what you want to call it, but the KSC75 is extremely colored. Highs are all up in your face with that funny Koss sound. Totally unnatural, but it has its uses.

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #17 of 30
hehe i dunno if unnatural is the word as it implies some sort of value placed on the sound as if there's something wrong with an up front and sparkly sound. i personally find that unanalytic (
biggrin.gif
) sound to be what makes them so fun to rock out with and in general listen to. my real complaint about the 75s is the ambiguously almost bloated bass that cuts through the mid highs and highs that sparkle so much coupled with the graininess. in comparison to better balanced headphones this can be tiring but i still come back to the 75s quite often though as i already mentioned, its now the portapros
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #18 of 30
I bought some PX100's a few days ago and I have to say for relatively cheap portable can, they are pretty good. Very light, comfortable and with not bad sound quality. I haven't heard the others, so I can't compare.

cheers
Simon

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #19 of 30
Really liking the description of the Koss sound. I think I might be sold on them... but part of my heart still yearns to try Grado as I've just read so much 5* rating propaganda on them and am dying to see if they're as good as toted to be.

Though the iGrados are a bit of a plop-plop version of the SR-60s I suppose.

I might just go ahead and order those KSC-75's and see if that sates the hunger of my ears.

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #21 of 30
Personally, I think that the iGrado has the best sound quality, but only with modded pads and a well-powered source. Hence, I wouldn't use them as a portable. For what it's worth, with my modded (and dual-layered) pads, I find the iGrados to be a great compromise for people like me who think that standard Grado headphones are largely uncomfortable. They're even fighting with my treasured Senn HD650s for home listening time!
eek.gif

In any case, I also own the KSC-75, PX-100, and PortaPro, and honestly, I rank the Sennheiser at the bottom of all of them. For me, they're too loose on the head, and their sound is too muffled. My favorite current setup is attaching the PortaPro 'phones/drivers to the KSC-75 earclips - it's a very comfortable, great-sounding solution for me.

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #22 of 30
The px100 is such a great portable. I have had the ksc 35s, portapros(god ugly lol) and senn buds. The px100 blow all but the portapros out of the water and I even prefer the senns to them.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trastan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite current setup is attaching the PortaPro 'phones/drivers to the KSC-75 earclips - it's a very comfortable, great-sounding solution for me.

Trastan, could you describe how you detached KSC-75's drivers from the earclips? I tried to do the similar thing but didn't see how it can be done. Thanks.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by paladinca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trastan, could you describe how you detached KSC-75's drivers from the earclips? I tried to do the similar thing but didn't see how it can be done. Thanks.

Just get a good grip on the connection where 'Koss' is printed and give it a good tug. The first time, it gets pulled off is the hardest, but it usually always comes off.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #25 of 30
I've owned all three and have to give my vote to the IGrado. I've give the other two away without ever having a second thought. I highly recommend them for someone who likes sparkling highs, alot of detail, and an in your face sound.

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #26 of 30
I have both iGraods and KSC-75s. I like them both a lot. I seem to grab the iGrados a lot lately, especially if I can carry an amp with me, as they are very good unamped (and slightly better than the Koss), but really improve when amped. That said, I still like the KSCs too. And I'm not convinced the iGrados are worth the price difference. For comfort, they both suck -- but they're not really bad, just not ideal (I haven't found ideal yet...). I find that neither leaks too badly for general portable use. If I'm on the bus or train, I will occasionally take them off to make sure they are not so loud that others would be annoyed, and I usually can't hear anything to speak of when they're off my head (both brands). If you can get the Koss as cheaply in the UK as in the US, it's a great starting point (I picked up a couple pair for $10 each when they were on sale at Radio Shack). If the prices are closer to the iGrado, then it may be worth springing for what I consider the better cans. But, as others have said, a loot depends on personal preference -- I like the Grado sound and not the Senn sound. YMMV

Dec 3, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #27 of 30
I like ksc-75 the best, because, to me they have a big soundstage, they are detailed, has a very clear sound with a liquid beautifull midrange and a well balanced punchy bass, i also think the treble is very refined and non fatigue, the Denon D2000 hurts more. Ksc-75 is one of my all time favorites of all cans.
The ksc-75 is a very good match with the x-can v3, they like tubes
biggrin.gif

The px100 is to bloated in the bass and are the most veiled of all senns I have heard and also has a small soundstage, I have listened to them out of an arcam cd and harmony design headphone amp.

Dec 3, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get a good grip on the connection where 'Koss' is printed and give it a good tug. The first time, it gets pulled off is the hardest, but it usually always comes off.

Just did it without breaking any part. Thanks!

Now get back to the topic. I like my KSC-75 and px100 better than my SR60, which I believe sounds similar to iGrado. My px100 sounds good right out of box, on the other hand, KSC-75 and SR60 do need at least 100 hours to break in. To my ears, px100 sounds warm and relaxing but a little bloated in mid-low, KSC-75 sounds clean but slightly bright. SR60 has very good build quality but its sound signature is just not right to my taste. All three leak sound similarly. I feel KSC-75 is the most comfort one to wear. IMO, the safest bet is to get KSC-75 (for less $20) to start enjoying music.

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #29 of 30
I have a couple of posts in this thread that may be of some help regarding these phones. I still have the iGrados on right now, after using them all day. They have a little more sparkle and impact than the PX100/PMX100 and don't leak too much sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dow...94/index2.html

Dec 4, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by meepror /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the responses!

Sadly I won't have the opportunity to sound test any of these before purchase unless anyone knows any shops in London that do that kind of thing.

Good point. Do any of you know any good hi-fi shops in London that allow testing? The only one I found was Micro Anvika in the basement of Selfridges on Oxford Street and even then they only had Sennheiser sets wired up for testing.

I do like what the Grado sound has been described like but would be great to hear it first hand before committing!

Sevenoaks HiFi, on the Kings Road is where I demo'd & bought a pair of iGrados, I would guess that their other branches will be able to offer the same service. It's generally difficult to find anywhere that will let you listen to the cheaper end of headphone ranges. I have the PX100's and like them a lot. I've not listened to the iGrado's much so far, but I'm not that taken with the band round the back of the head, ok if your walking down the road, or in the gym, but no good if your in an armchair, or bed. To be honest these phones all all so cheap, you might as well by one of everything, you can always sell them on if you really dont take to them, its worth it for the extended test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back