KRK KNS 6400 or shure srh440
Sep 3, 2011 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Rokoboy

New Head-Fier

[size=medium] KRK KNS 6400 or shure srh440[/size]

Which one would you recomend me? But i have to add that this headphones i need for creating music and good panoraming/monitoring first. Not DJing. 

Also I listen to electro-house, dnb and little bit of 2step. Wolfgang Gartner, Deadmau5, the prototypes and other. 

Thx! 

Sep 3, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 21
Sony MDR-V6

The SRH440 was a celebrity can a while back. Still good, but not good for producing. Not too balanced or neutral

The KNS 6400 is a nice can, but then the sound I would see more on stage while tuning a guitar or use around a stage.

The V6 have been used in production studios for decades. Trusted, worshiped and glorified. They are more balanced and more music pros rely on them.

Also, with a little EQing, I use them as my bassy headphones. They would sound great with your music choices.

Sep 3, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 21
MDR-7506?

Better clarity with these.

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 21
More balanced? Is that a fact? :)

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #7 of 21
Ok so i found mdr 7506 but the price is 230$ 
mad.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #8 of 21
Looking at innderfidelity graphs, I was actually surprised how the V6's measure. Though the roll-off starts at 4-5kHz, which makes them a bit sazzy... :)

Sorry can't really help you making a decision... For that kind of music, maybe the Shure would do the trick. They're really good for their price and I like them even better than the more expensive 840. 

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 21
Nevermind.

I suggest the KRK KNS-6400 with the memory foam pads. I find it much more balanced than the V6/7506 and 440.
Basically you could use these for 10 hours without any problem. With the 8400 memory foam pads, they're one of the most comfortable headphones ever made.
IMO the V6 wasn't balanced sounding and had too much mid-bass, a slight recession in the mids somewhere and too much treble.

Strangely enough...I found the 7506 to be far better than the V6, yet people say they're the same..hmmm...

BTW I'm not sure why I got the impression of too much mid-bass on the V6. I think it may have something to do with the pads. I bet if you swapped pads or used some without the extra foam, it'd get reduced.
I know that the M30 pads fit and don't have a foam backing. Who would have thought that simple foam would increase bass!

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 21
I completely agree with tdockweiler, that is some weird advice.

I think the first question you should ask yourself is what is it that you are producing?
The MDR-7506 is an excellent can for the production of broadcasts of all sorts (TV, radio, monitoring voice recording etc.) but it is definitely not flat enough for music production. I speak from experience here, I am a video editor.

So really, you have to ask yourself - what will the application of these cans be? When you are aware of your exact requirements it will be easier to choose a can.

As for the KRK vs. Shure debate here, I'd personally see the KRK as a better can for music production because it is a little flatter in the low frequencies. The Shure reveals a lot of detail but is not as neutral as the KRK. I therefore see the Shure as a more specialized can, whereas the KRK will be a little more universal.

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #11 of 21
I think the V6's are recessed in the mids. Just look at the graph: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRV6.pdf

That late drop off would suggest they sound recessed. On paper it looks good at a quick glance though...

It's not just you. I'm having trouble understanding BotByte's reasoning as well. The V6 is not in the recording industry because it's a well balanced headphone. It's because, for whatever reason, it's been established as an industry reference. Like mac's for musicians. People are sheep, no other reason I believe...

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
I think the V6's are recessed in the mids. Just look at the graph: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRV6.pdf

That late drop off would suggest they sound recessed. On paper it looks good at a quick glance though...

It's not just you. I'm having trouble understanding BotByte's reasoning as well. The V6 is not in the recording industry because it's a well balanced headphone. It's because, for whatever reason, it's been established as an industry reference. Like mac's for musicians. People are sheep, no other reason I believe...

And most people now a days use Custom IEM's

The V6 are great because they show what's needed. They aren't specialty audiophile headphones and that's why people have problems with them.

A lot of people don't understand that there are celebrity headphones that are out, then ones that last for decads

The reason the V6 have been used with everything for so long is because they are what they are. There isn't anything special with them, and nothing bad.

The only reason people find the mids recessed is because that's what a Balance headphone is. It's when the highs and lows are more upfront then the mids to make more balanced. There is no "just perfect" headphone out there.

The only thing I complain about the V6 (which I've logged 2000+ hours on combined over 20+ pairs) is that there is nothing special about them. The 7509HD is great because somehow everything with them is great, but still no special ZING to them.

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #13 of 21
I find that the MDR-7506 is really a great can for recording voices and the graph you linked to seems to back this up. There is a slight hump around 3 kHz, which is usually considered to be right in the middle of typical voice frequency. With the remainder of the midrage being indeed slightly recessed, this really emphasizes voices to a significant degree. This is why you see it used so often in broadcast studios, radio shows etc. The can is really good at picking up any sort of imperfections in the voice frequency, a feature that also makes it fatiguing and sibilant to listen to casually (for some).

Quote:

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
I think the first question you should ask yourself is what is it that you are producing? So really, you have to ask yourself - what will the application of these cans be? When you are aware of your exact requirements it will be easier to choose a can.

Electronic music. 
Also i have already said that there are no sony available in my country or the price is about 230$, and my budget is  under 130$
Sory my english.

p.s  i have hd 201 now and they are not enough for me. ny sound card is fast track 2 btw

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
I suggest the KRK KNS-6400 with the memory foam pads. I find it much more balanced than the V6/7506 and 440.
Basically you could use these for 10 hours without any problem. With the 8400 memory foam pads, they're one of the most comfortable headphones ever made.

that's good, what about bass? i don't really need loud bass i want it to be "correct" sounding. It would be great if i can listen to them but they are only available online.
Sorry my english

Quote:

As for the KRK vs. Shure debate here, I'd personally see the KRK as a better can for music production because it is a little flatter in the low frequencies. The Shure reveals a lot of detail but is not as neutral as the KRK. I therefore see the Shure as a more specialized can, whereas the KRK will be a little more universal.

Thank you very much! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back