KRK KNS 6400 Appreciation Thread!!
Jul 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 29
I bought them at a local store and planned on returning them. I did, don't worry. But I had to try them out because of tdockweiler
I found them to be nice and all but not what I would call a "Giant Killer"

They were good if you're into not modding your headphones, but at that price, I usually mod like crazy and my cans turn into Giant killers regardless.

They were clear, second to my Grado but still not up to par.

Compared to the ultimate Giant Killer I own, T50RP, drop short by a long shot. My T50RP I estimate at $800 worth of SQ, and the 640 at about $200~

I did like the detachable cable. Good for stage work IMO

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 29
Why make an appreciation thread when there is only about one person (so far) that has these?
normal_smile%20.gif

I guess you can add my name to the list.

They are a giant killer if you consider the following:

Portability...seriously the T50RP is not very portable and needs an amp. You also need to do excessive modding. If you get a bad (un-moddable) pair like I did, you've wasted your $75.
The Grados and the T50RP are the rare headphones that can be modded to sound..what 2x as good or more? Many people avoid modding or don't think they can do it for whatever reason.
How much do you need to spend on materials anyway? How much for the pads and Akasa foam? Another $40 including shipping? Still worth it, but you see my point.

Please find me of a headphone under $100 that's closed, as comfortable and as clear and detailed without mods. My SR-80 is much more grainy and it's open. The SR-80 has good mids though.
The SR-80 can never match the comfort of the KNS-6400 with the 8400 memory foam pads. SR-80 is a good headphone though for it's price and I've had mine for years. I know why people love it. The KNS-6400 just fits my preferences more.

So far I've yet to find a studio monitor at under $200 that's better for my ears. I'm always looking for headphones that will top my favorites.

It's just weird comparing my 6400 to my HD-598 and K601 and thinking they actually sound better! The KRK just can't compare when it comes to the soundstage though, but it's closed.
For me, sometimes I wonder why I even spend $250 on a headphone when I could have just got the KRK in the first place.

One thing that would be interesting is a comparison of the 6400/8400 to the DT-880 and SRH-940! See how well it compares when it comes to detail and sound clarity. The 6400 would probably lose badly, but it may be a surprise! The DT-880 is super clear sounding to me and has more treble extension too, but I dislike it's mids. I'm willing to bet money there's nothing you can hear on the DT-880 that you can't hear on the 6400. No surprise there though.

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 29
I've had mine for a little over two weeks, and I'm very happy with my purchase. They're not perfect, but they're definitely the best sub-$150 headphones I've ever heard, for the kind of sound I'm after.

The high treble range, above 8Khz, is very clean and precise, but a little recessed and removed from the conversation of the overall presentation. Small cymbals and bells sound great but just not at equal footing with the rest of the music. I personally don't mind, because I like a little roll-off in my preferred sound signature.

The higher mid range, between 4KHz-8KHz, is absolutely ridiculous. So lush and smooth, excellent vibrancy and no grain, and a bit forward compared to the rest of the spectrum. Listening to synth-heavy 80s music makes every note bounce with life. Listening to the excellently recorded drums on Iron Maiden's The Number of the Beast album makes it sound like I'm getting a private drum lesson. Every hit sounds very close to like it would in real life on an expensive setup. Another note is absolutely no sibilance whatsoever. It's actually like they increased the presence and clarity of the high mids to the absolute threshold of replication, right before they would be reproduced as sibilant. On any tracks that gave you trouble with sibilance with other headphones, you subconsciously 'predict' it to happen again, and you're like "oh no oh no gotta prepare myself for that shrill sound", and then you're greeted with nothing but lush ultra-replication, just like real life. No tinniness or harshness of any kind at all. All of this also applies to the higher trebles, even though they are more recessed.

The lower mids, around 400-4000Hz, are nearly as good, but still not quite as impressive as higher in the range. Male vocals are clear and present but not as lifelike. However, guitar especially sounds crunchy and well-defined when distorted, and extremely clean and bouncy when not, just like synths in the higher range. I guess that means these perform a bit better with instruments than voice, but it's not a large margin.

Bass is definitely present, but recessed. I'm not a basshead, I'm a roughly-equal head. While "anemic" would be too strong of a term to describe the bass response, it is "light". Even though light, it still has great detail, though it has trouble replicating sound below ~35Hz. And all of <100Hz is considerably quieter than intended in tracks. Adjusting EQs, while not just a bad idea, has next to zero effect. I think the bass response can be described well with a phrase I hear others use a lot for various phones: it's there when it needs to be. An actual bass guitar with the multiple harmonies sounds clear and tasty, but sweeping bass tones in the background that help give tracks "body" and "fullness" are pretty weak. All that being said, it's still so much better than boomy, one-note bass that is still present in some headphones costing what these do.

These headphones benefited well from just 4 hours of usage (a.k.a burn-in). I haven't noticed any difference in performance after the 4-6hr mark, and I've now been using them close to 100 hours. The bass is still a bit thin and I'm sure that's how they'll always sound, which isn't so bad, but immediately out of the box the *entire* spectrum was thin-sounding. They also don't really need amplification, though they still got a bit more evenness in replication when I used one. Not a big difference and definitely not necessary.

Soundstage is good but not really "killer", which is pretty much the only aspect I disagree with tdockweiler over. It's better than a lot of other closed cans, but it definitely wouldn't be the first pro I would talk about when recommending these to others. It's not terribly wide, and quite horizontal, with no real vertical placement of instruments.

Comfort is quite good, but the headband does create a small point of pain on my head after about 2 hours; but it goes away very quickly after removal. Just take breaks. On the ear, they're fine and very pleasant; though I did notice a small design fault in that if you turn your head either direction, the opposite cup will pry off your ear a little and lose its seal, reducing perceived volume in that side by 10-20%. You need to have your head straight, basically, while listening to them. I actually thought at first that one side was louder than the other -- imbalanced -- and that I was going to have to return them. The only fault turned out to be that I was sitting crooked in my chair
tongue.gif

Overall I'm super happy with these headphones and would like to thank tdockweiler for his recommendations and thoughts on them that lead me to my purchase. The only real negative is thin bass, which actually makes them a nice companion to someone with other bassy phones (me). The entire midrange far, far outclasses its pricepoint in quality and smoothness, and that's really what I was looking for. A great buy :) and thanks for reading.

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 29
Thanks for the mini-review. I probably went overboard with my comments on it's soundstage. I still don't think it can compete with any open headphone in terms of soundstage size, but it's still quite good. Maybe even comparable to the soundstage of the D2000? Maybe not, but it seems better than my K240 Studio and DJ100. I'd have to compare them again though. I guess the soundstage is good enough for games and movies for me. I've rarely had a closed headphone where the soundstage was actually good. DJ100 isn't bad, but nothing impressive. The D2000 is one of the best i've heard for a closed headphone. I haven't tried the W1000X though!

I'm perfectly satisfied with the bass, but I've never really loved many bass heavy headphones. The closest i've come to that is the DJ100. I'd rather give up bass for mids any day.

SOMEHOW I haven't used my KNS-6400 in about a week (until earlier today). I just got in the K501 so I've been addicted to that and have been trying out my DJ100 again. The 6400 is never going anywhere though. I ended up getting rid of my 2nd 8400 since I liked the 6400 a lot more. Mostly due to it's more forward mids and slightly more engaging sound.

Have you tried the 8400 pads on the 6400? I could have sworn Katun had mentioned to me that they have have improved the bass a little. On mine with the 8400 pads, there's quite a decent amount of bass impact. I at first thought there was no change, but maybe a tiny bit. I only did a one time only comparison.

Today I was playing them straight out of my Ipod Touch and was surprised at how high I had to cranked the volume. Maybe these things do benefit from a good amp, who knows. I haven't done any side by side comparisons, but I guess it doesn't hurt to use my E5 when I use them out of a portable player. Still sounds great out of my Ipod Touch though when needed.

Hopefully more people will give these a chance. They're really quite good for the price.

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 29
Mini-review? It was actually quite a good read! No excessive bs or anything else. :) Actually sounds like they could be quite good based on your evaluations. Have you tried them against a K271/272? 

Thin bass, is good bass :) I liked how you discerned bass guitar and its harmonies from background bass-rumble, if it can be called that. Basically everything being distinguishable already calls for good bass-performance. I'm all for following what the bass player does with his/her instrument, instead of 'feeling it to the max'. Basically you're saying that these would be quite good for a musician who's tabbing notes from songs? Color me interested! KRK monitors, at least the VXT series are tremendously musical in this sense: notes are played according to their pitch! Always good to hear that a manufacturer has a goal or philosophy they wish to accomplish/portray along their whole production line. Always preferred products that were aimed toward musicians or music lovers. I'm a "Linnie" in that sense, heh.

I will be buying these along with SRH940s and K550s and pitch them all against my K272's to see who takes the throne as my new all-around/portable can. The 272's have been doing a tremendous job for the past 1,5 years and have not met an equal. Then again, I've never felt the need to find one. That's important in a headphone: it's so good your thirst is quenched and you can't wish for more. I was never fully happy with my HD25-1's or SRH840s and even less so when I found the 272s...

Anyway, thanks for the read!

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 29
Well done, soundstige.

I'll just reiterate what tdockweiller mentioned regarding the 8400 memory pads: they really add to the experience. Much more comfortable, particularly in a hot environment.  Surprisingly, I found that they helped a bit at the top end, but then my middle-aged ears have pretty poor performance with treble so ymmv. I'd imagine that the bass improved as well with the improved seal, but tbh I didn't notice any drastic difference at the time.

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 29
I agreed the KRK is amazing for the money. One area I have a different experience from others is that my pair seem to need some initial run-in to begin sounding good.

Quote:

I will be buying these along with SRH940s and K550s and pitch them all against my K272's to see who takes the throne as my new all-around/portable can. The 272's have been doing a tremendous job for the past 1,5 years and have not met an equal.

I would be interested in how the KRK flare against these new comers. Do keep us posted of your impressions. Thanks !

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #9 of 29
Thanks, I will. Will be a few weeks I reckon, since the situation with the K550s. I'll try to get them all at once and write something then :) I'm not very organized though, so don't expect a full or completely adequate review...

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 29
I just listened to a song of the soundtrack of the very weird movie "Rubber" that goes by the same name (in FLAC). GOD DAMN, I am in LOVE!!

Song in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPwurHIANoA

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #11 of 29
Anyone know if the KRK 6400 will benefit from an amplifier? I have been thinking of making one myself, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort if I don't even have a pair of headphones that will benefit from it. However, it's always nice to have a good quality amp laying there for when you do obtain power hungry headphones.
So, any thoughts?

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 29
My Voyager did not show any benefits vs. an iPod classic. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
Anyone know if the KRK 6400 will benefit from an amplifier? I have been thinking of making one myself, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort if I don't even have a pair of headphones that will benefit from it. However, it's always nice to have a good quality amp laying there for when you do obtain power hungry headphones.
So, any thoughts?

I think they do, especially if it's a warm sounding amp that adds in a little bass. I found out recently that my amps (Headroom Micro Amp, which I love) and Ipod Touch added in a little extra bass and improved the sound a little, so that's why they seemed to have more bass for me than for others. I switched over to a different source and amp/dac and the bass seemed to go out the window, but not too badly. Crossfeed on the Micro Amp is especially nice for this headphone. That adds in a very tiny bit of bass too.

I think the biggest benefit will just be volume. On small players such as the Sansa View and Iaudio 7, they need to be cranked to near max volume. On my Ipod Touch the volume is at about 90%.

BTW has anyone tried these with movies yet? You should. I'm not necessarily talking about Hollywood movies with lots of car chases and explosions, but anything that requires a good soundstage, a clear sound and lots of detail.

I watched the movie "Samsara" (love this movie) last night with these and I swear I'm constantly fooled into thinking I have an open headphone. No joke. I don't know how this is. That movie has a Cyril Morin soundtrack and his soundtracks sounds really good on the KRKs. Someone try and watch a movie with good bass too and see how well it does. I was thinking maybe "Jurassic Park" or "U571". I think the KRKs have the soundstage of the SRH-940 beat, but not the D2000 (which seems more like semi-open to me).

I seriously don't think the bass is as light as people make them out to be. I'm going to do some testing on this later today. With movies, there's some low bass I didn't even expect to hear from the headphone. I bet the 8400 would have even better sub-bass. I wish I didn't let my 2nd 8400 go so fast. It's just for my setup, the mids were a bit too relaxed for me, but I'm not using them in a studio.

I have no clue why I didn't try the E11 with the 6400 when I had it! Should be a nice match, especially since it does have a bass boost, but is a fairly neutral sounding amp.

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 29

Quote:

I think they do, especially if it's a warm sounding amp that adds in a little bass. I found out recently that my amps (Headroom Micro Amp, which I love) and Ipod Touch added in a little extra bass and improved the sound a little, so that's why they seemed to have more bass for me than for others. I switched over to a different source and amp/dac and the bass seemed to go out the window, but not too badly. Crossfeed on the Micro Amp is especially nice for this headphone. That adds in a very tiny bit of bass too.

I think the biggest benefit will just be volume. On small players such as the Sansa View and Iaudio 7, they need to be cranked to near max volume. On my Ipod Touch the volume is at about 90%.

BTW has anyone tried these with movies yet? You should. I'm not necessarily talking about Hollywood movies with lots of car chases and explosions, but anything that requires a good soundstage, a clear sound and lots of detail.

I think the KRKs have the soundstage of the SRH-940 beat, but not the D2000 (which seems more like semi-open to me).

I seriously don't think the bass is as light as people make them out to be. I'm going to do some testing on this later today. With movies, there's some low bass I didn't even expect to hear from the headphone. I bet the 8400 would have even better sub-bass. I wish I didn't let my 2nd 8400 go so fast. It's just for my setup, the mids were a bit too relaxed for me, but I'm not using them in a studio.

I have no clue why I didn't try the E11 with the 6400 when I had it! Should be a nice match, especially since it does have a bass boost, but is a fairly neutral sounding amp.

The soundstage is definitely underestimated! I tried several songs with wide soundstage and it sounds absolutely terrific. And I agree with your point on the bass as well, it's not that bad that everyone is making it out to be, it's actually really head-on, correct and crisp. Right now I'm listening to The Chemical Brothers' album "Dig Your Own Hole" which has lots of bass and I'm not hearing any lack of bass at all, it's quite the contrary.
Also, me and my big brother are planning on making our own amplifiers using old vintage radios as chassis, it's going to be great!

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 29
I received my 6400 today, and I'm impressed--fairly flat frequency response, good clarity, surprising soundstage (small but good instrument placement), and very comfortable. They're more comfortable and more accurate than the M50 (the M50 bass overpowers the mids too much for my taste) and far less fatiguing than the Sony V6. I admit that I haven't tried the Shure cans, which are probably the direct competition for the KRK's.

These are my new go-to recommendation for sub-$100 headphones, particularly for closed cans. It's surprising they haven't made more of a splash on head-fi.

They are power hungry; I'm not sure how well they would work without a dedicated amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back