Kramer-mod... KSC75...
Dec 4, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #121 of 542
I just ordered 2pairs of KSC 75 among other things at buy.com... with the $20 rebate on $ 5o a good deal.

They are for my 30 GB ZEN... I look forward to getting and modding them - will report my experiences...

Dec 5, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #122 of 542
Hi,
I bought these phones on amazon the other day and in the reviews someone said check out the Kramer mod.
I looked it over and thought the old metal coffee filter I had might work well.
The push pin is just for reference,,to show the small mesh.
Don

314579504_8f64e27a7a_o.jpg

314580766_20715ba9e4_o.jpg

Dec 6, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #125 of 542
Hi,
I laid another layer of epoxy on top of the edge to capture the stray wires today. When it hardened I opened up the side slots with a Dremel and that gave me nice smooth edges.
The best I could tell the openings in the screen are about .007 inch.
Yeah I bought a new canon a640 camera, it will really let you get in close.
Don

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #126 of 542
After lurking for a while, reading reviews of good portable headphones, I finally came across this thread. I just finished modding my KSC75's that came in from amazon yesterday, it took about an hour to do the quarter mod and cut holes in the pads.

For other people thinking about doing this, the black plastic cover is actually really sturdy, so don't worry about breaking it while drilling the holes. Getting it out of the case required more than "gentle" pressure, but it does pop out. After that, just some work with a knife + sandpaper cleaning up the holes, it was done.

I don't think they beat out my SR-60s quite yet (lol) but it's definitely a step in the right direction. Bass is definitely more there, maybe a little tighter too.

Anyway, I registered just to post here and say thanks to the HeadFi community for discovering this budget gem. Highly recommended!

EDIT: pictures added.

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #127 of 542
congrats! time for me to experiement too... but i dont have anything that can really "drill holes" or sand them out.

Dec 15, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #128 of 542
I haven't done this to mine yet, but has anyone else had them start sounding scratchy on one side? For some reason the right ear piece on mine has starting doing that, like a constant hum/buzz that is sometimes drowned out by music but still there. I didn't burn them in or anything, just opened them and starting using them on the computer. They've gone to two LAN parties and this buzz just started in the last week or two. Should I look into replacing them via amazon (where I bought them)?

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #129 of 542
Just did this mod to my KSC-75, not sure that the results are that much different from what i got before because my K81DJ are my everyday pair now. But it sure make me realise how good these dirty little KSC-75 sound. It seem to me like the bass as opened up a bit and that they don't sound as muffled as they use to...but it's only from A/B ing my left and right side. Anyway it was cool, make me use my dremel for the first time since i got it
icon10.gif
thanks Gary!

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #130 of 542
I picked up another pair of KSC75s a couple days ago and within 12 hours had alread Kramer modded them. I was always skeptical about increasing the amount of highs on an already bright can, but I am very very pleased with the result. I don't think I will grill mod them again, I lke this sound better.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #131 of 542
Im considering doing this mod, but I think that I will need to use glue or something to make the foam stay on the headphones. These will be enduring pretty rugged handling. When not in use they will be shoved in my backpack with textbooks and the like. They will be in a seperate pocket, but it would be wishful thinking to say that will protect them. I just really don't want the foam to get jostled off and get turn up from the hooks.

Jan 7, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #132 of 542
just did the mod right now. drilled holes in 9 different areas (1 centre, 4 inner ring, 4 outer ring). this really opens up the sound; bass is fuller, and cleans up the highs making it less 'screechy'. i kinda dented the diaphragm (or the film of the driver as it were) whilst prying open the cover -- the 'phones aren't damaged though -- no harm no foul. i'll try to post pics of mine if interested. it's just a great mod on a already great pair of 'phones. thanks muchly Kramer! cheers!

Jan 11, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #135 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by azuriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After lurking for a while, reading reviews of good portable headphones, I finally came across this thread. I just finished modding my KSC75's that came in from amazon yesterday, it took about an hour to do the quarter mod and cut holes in the pads.

For other people thinking about doing this, the black plastic cover is actually really sturdy, so don't worry about breaking it while drilling the holes. Getting it out of the case required more than "gentle" pressure, but it does pop out. After that, just some work with a knife + sandpaper cleaning up the holes, it was done.

I don't think they beat out my SR-60s quite yet (lol) but it's definitely a step in the right direction. Bass is definitely more there, maybe a little tighter too.

Anyway, I registered just to post here and say thanks to the HeadFi community for discovering this budget gem. Highly recommended!

EDIT: pictures added.

hey i noticed i did the same pattern of holes drilled as yours! although i haven't quarter-modded the pads...cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back