Kramer-mod... KSC75...
Oct 3, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #106 of 542
I just got finished with the mod. The first thing that I noticed was how much more forward the sound was. Now the bass is very very strong, but still pretty tight. The mids are just as upfront as the bass. Surprisingly, the high end has been recessed a bit!

Pics:

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

The only thing I am concerned about is that the mesh is a bit flimsy. It is actually plastic, which was much easier to work with. I was a bit sloppy with my glue, but I don't really care and it is hardly noticable.

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #107 of 542
The screen/mesh I used was metal, it wasn't to difficult to work with, I could cut it with a razor blade. It isn't very flimsy really especially since the epoxy.

I kept the epoxy clean by asking both sides of the screen with masking tape cut to equal sized circles, after it started to set up I pulled the tape so it wouldn't epoxy the tape to the grills. After completely dried I went over the stray epoxy parts with a razor knife and sand paper.

I am enjoying thm like this so far quite a bit. I have another pair to do side by side with but haven't had a chance.

Before Epoxy with screens "sewn" on with one "thread" of stranded wire.
DSCF3419.jpg

After tape removed and cleaned up with epoxy.
DSCF3508.jpg

DSCF3511.jpg

Oct 5, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #108 of 542
Following up with the sound quality change, I am a bit dissapointed that the highs that I came to love from the KSC75 have been masked quite a bit. The bass is definetly stronger, but not necissarily "better" than before. I just feel like there is something missing. It could just be that I am used to the Grado sound, but vocals and drums sound pretty recessed. Really it sounds like this mod reversed what I wanted it to do, since my original idea was make the sound more airy and the result was extra warmth. That said, there is still a lot of detail in the highs, so anyone who wanted to have a KSC75 with more bass should pick up another pair and try this mod.

Oct 17, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #110 of 542
This is to everybody who has done the Kramer mod and would like to know something cool I discovered that you can do with just about any over the ear headphones, but works especially well on the Koss's. After mowing my lawn one day I decided to put on my sony over the ear headphones and try to listen to music, well obviously that didn't work. So... I put on some closed ear sennheiser's that I had and the music was still unlistenable due to the mowing noise. So I put my sony over the ears back on, and over them I put your basic earmuff style hearing protectors. Not only did it allow me to hear and enjoy the music while mowing, it also increased the bass response signifigantly. After doing the same with the Koss KSC's Mod's, It turned them into a whole new animal. It not only increased the bass response, but the stereo image was better(in my opinion) and of course the noise reduction was phenomenal at 25 to 30 db's. I listened to them at home, and the music sounded so good I didn'tt want to take them off. I don't have any screaming rugrats or a nagging wife, but I could see that it could be a Godsend to those of you that do. By the way I got the earphone hearing protectors at Harbor Freight for $1.99. If you want to give me any personal feedback, e-mail me at .............
alaska6207@mypacks.net

I'd love to hear from you! Nielex.

P.S.Thanks Kramer....................

Oct 17, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #111 of 542
Ive just realized that the ksc35 75 and portapros use like.. the almost same drivers and grills. No wonder they can do all this magic as such low cost!

Has anyone done the hole drilling/quarter mod to the ksc35? Im about to do it but then after I do i cant go back since all of my ksc75 grills are aready drilled
tongue.gif

Oct 31, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #112 of 542
I was a little skeptical about this mod....I also waitied till I burned ~100hours on them. I figured I would dive into it, and they're my gym cans anyhow(right now, my only ones)...I'll just go get another pair....

So I only did one side then listened to one modded and one without both the stock foamies uncut....

Listened to:

Sia - Where I Belong
Rhianna - Unfaithful

I picked those two because Sia's song has some good horn intrumentals, high cymbals, with a dece bassline. Rhianna's song has a good mid range vocal with some sweet piano and a bass punch...so both are what I'll test out my EQ settings to whenever I change or test something....

I must say...these little cans SCREAM SO MUCH BETTER!!!! I thought they were good before, I'm wondering why these things aren't pricier. The bass is no longer just a "thud"....it's as stated, airyer and has more resonance. Although it does get overshadowed by the mids and highs (IMO, but I'm a basshead), it's less muffled, even with the foamies uncut.

I cut my holes a little larger than most, but it sounds incredible. Just drilled it with a tiny drill, then carved it out with a knife. The pic is uncleaned, as I installed it just so I could hear a difference.....

3y4uctz.jpg

I'm stoked that a free mod made such a big difference...infact, I wanna hear how some unburned ones sound with this mod...

Oct 31, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #113 of 542
Don't own KSC-75's, but looking at those pictures gives me ideas... concerning K81 DJ's... grilles... Have anyone tried this mod yet with K81's?

Nov 2, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #114 of 542
KramerMod.JPG

Did mine yesterday. Not glued, just cut the speaker grille to size and placed into the foam pad for easy reversal if need be. I bought these just to mod and play with. The mesh is actually from computer speakers and doesn't seem to interfere with sound at all.

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #115 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
KramerMod.JPG

Did mine yesterday. Not glued, just cut the speaker grille to size and placed into the foam pad for easy reversal if need be. I bought these just to mod and play with. The mesh is actually from computer speakers and doesn't seem to interfere with sound at all.

looks good smeggy. Have you tried a side by side comparison? I have modded mine to cramer's mod but this looks like a nice fix.

Nov 3, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #116 of 542
Thanks, yes I did compare and the major difference was a less hollow sound. Like you had removed a lid from them (which is precicely what we're doing). It does free the treble, shows less 'honk' and adds a bit of spaciousness and air to the sound.

Removing the acousically crappy driver cover does give an nice improvement to the 75.

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #117 of 542
After doing this mod i noticed the treble and mids kinda screamed out alittle to much. (Note: I did not cut the hole in the middle of my foam) I could stand it, but with some types of music, it just screams to much to take. So i took alittle extra foam i had and made a insert in to sit inside the stock foam. So now there is alittle extra foam where it sits against your ear. Gives it alittle more bass and makes the treble/mids alittle softer. Brilliant....im very happy now...at first i thought i was stuck and going to have to live with the INSANE amounts of treble, even with it turn all the way down in the EQ. Just stuck another peice of foam in there and it balances it out perfectly. Also, since there is extra foam inside the pad, the phones sit alot nicer on your ear. There is no bounce or anything...the fit is much more snug now, which in turn gives it alittle nicer sound.

Im thinking of making a small hole , like the size of a dime in the middle, then sit a piece of screen between the 2 peices of foam im using.

I dunno, maybe a tad more high?

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #118 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
KramerMod.JPG

Great job smeggy! Looks very clean.

RIP my KSC75

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #119 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
Is this in addition to having a hole cut out of the pads?

It seems like the next step is to just take out the grill altogether and mount the drivers directly on your ears?
biggrin.gif

Or inside your ear... oh wait, I think those are called IEMs.
icon10.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #120 of 542
I might just not have an ear for this (my first decent pair of portable headphones), but I just can't notice enough of a difference for this mod. I listened to several mixed bass/treble songs, and the treble only came out a bit more with the pads and grille off (yes, I tried listening diaphragm-only). It was fun to take apart the phone and see the inside, though.
biggrin.gif

Edit: On second thought, I notice a different. But IMO the treble overwhelms the bass; it sounds too bright after taking the stuff off. I think Koss got it right; just my opinion, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back