Kozee Sound Solutions ** MAJOR CS ISSUES - NOT RECOMMENDED (info in first post) ** Custom IEMs & Reshell review
Apr 18, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #197 of 852
$15 for the impression kit and another $15 for the earphones

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #199 of 852
Received my re-shelled UE10 Pro Custom yesterday.  Its finish and fit is awesome.  They look and feel identical to the original UE shell (I got clear acrylic with no art work).  Adam also did a great job to retain the sound signature of the original.  Still very neutral and detailed.  He also responded to all of my emails within a day, often in just few hours.  Great price, and workmanship.  I would definitely send all of my future re-shell orders to Adam.

The ONLY suggestion I have for Adam is to quote a bit more deliverable turnaround time.  Under promise and over deliver.  Everyone understands that the low price and quality work Adam offer is definitely worth waiting 4-5 weeks (especially knowing that he has a newborn baby).  But it's just a human nature to be unnecessarily anxious after the quoted time expire.  We all hate to wait.  I feel that my purchasing experience with Kozee would have been even more exceptional if I was quoted a more realistic turnaround time.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the outcome.

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #200 of 852
I WANT MINE NOW, DAMMIT!!
*ends tantrum*

Did he give you tracking, or were you surprized? I've been watching the mail for the past two weeks; the anticipation is driving me nuts o.0

PS: Mind uploading pics? Curious to see how they came out

Edit: would you be able to comment on the UE10 sound vs TF10? I remember reading how the TF10 crossover was tuned for a little more bass to compensate the fit; otherwise the drivers are the same. True or false?

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #201 of 852
I just emailed Adam asking for status, and he had shipped it out earlier that day.  It was a surprise (a good one).  I did receive a tracking number from Adam.  I'm not sure what his normal practice in shipping notification though, since I had an odd timing to make my inquiry.

I have never listened to TF10, so I can't really make any comments.  UE10 Pro Customs were, at the time of release, reviewed as the most neutral sounding IEMs and I do agree.  I would love to be able to afford JH13s or Audeze LCD-2, but these UE10s are more than enough for my use.  These will be savior in my upcoming 11 hour flight.

It was difficult to take them out of my ears, but I managed to distract myself for a minute to take a few pics:

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #202 of 852
Got my TF10 reshells back today, took about 5 weeks. Cable and finish are stellar from what I can tell, these are my first customs. My ears are a little off right now as I have some sinus pressure ( may be getting sick) and the ears need a little rest after having both Etymotic ER4P's and Copper Turbines shoved in my ears all day. Not quite a 'disappear' fit as I was imagining. They'll work, just have to get used to the installation/removal. I think these will do what I was looking for: isolation, imaging, and detail. Great job guys ! I can't see them making any money off of this, gotta be a 'gateway drug'.

I think the sound is pretty close to what I remember about the original ( but that's hard to gauge since I rarely got a good fit with the left earbud, just wouldn't stay in). I think the mids are a little more forward than I remember. Treble and bass are about the same I think.

Turned an awful fit into something I will use all day every day.

Sigh, although it's a good position to be in, now I once again have to decide what I'm keeping amongst my universals and what gets liquidated.

There will be a few for sale here soon !

I'm hoping Kozzee's X2/X3 has better bass response, these are a bit light after "brain burn in " from W3's. lol

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #203 of 852
Headphones shipped to Kozee: March 18, 2011
Headphones arrived at Kozee: March 22, 2011
Headphones shipped from Kozee: April 19, 2011
Headphones arrived: April 20, 2011

Today, my reshelled Triple.Fi 10 arrived. I ordered a Silicone shell with a black and metallic swirl. I guess metallic isn't a silicone color, so they are instead full black, which I said was perfectly fine if the swirl was not possible. I requested that my Westone ES cable be used instead of their stock cable, as I love the feel and durability. Well, it seemed to take Kozee quite a while to reshell my headphones, and they were even delayed past the day that I was told they would have been shipped. I now see why.

According to Kozee, removable cables are not an option when getting a silicone shell. I received a silicone shell with removable cables! It seems that the outward part of the shell is made of a sort of plastic, though not acrylic, and is attached somehow to the silicone. The delay was probably to make sure that the plastic and silicone were bonded together well, so that they do not become detached and require a reseal. I did not ask for removable cables, but am very happy to have gotten the extra bonus! In fact, I like the look quite a bit! My only question is how long will the bond hold? Only time will tell. The seal seems to be quite strong though.

The fit on these are amazing! These are my first custom-fit headphones, and I now see why people love their fit so much. Compared to the pain-inducing triple flanges (which were the only tips, even out of foam, that gave me a good seal), these feel like absolute heaven! The isolation is also great. I can speak to an extent, but if I open my mouth too wide, I lose the seal.

Now, for the sound. I asked Adam to create a sound similar to how average_joe's first TF10 reshell was. For the bass to hit deeper, the mids to be more forward, and the treble to sparkle just a little less, as I was experiencing some siblance. Thankfully, he has somehow achieved all of those aspects. The bass hits deeper and the quantity is increased a little more than the stock. The mids are much more forward. And the treble actually does kind of sparkle, yet I am not experiencing any sort of siblance. The only downside I can see to the sound is that the headphones are much more revealing, so some high-quality MP3s, which sounded fine before the reshell, sound a little worse due to the fact that I can hear ever-so-slight artifacts. FLAC, on the other hand, sound better than before, due to the improvement in the sound signature.

The soundstage seems slightly smaller than the universals. The forward and backward projection seem to be about the same, while the side-to-side projection seems a little smaller.

Overall, I am completely in love with these customs! I am comparing them to my memory of the universals, but I think that my memory is pretty accurate to how they actually sounded. Kozee's work, along with their customer service, truly makes them a gem in the industry. I will be going back to them for any future reshells I may have.

Now, for the pictures:

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #204 of 852
Holy cow!  Silicone w/ detachable cables!!  That's what's been holding me back.  Time to hand over some money to Adam.  Any chance you could take a close up or Macro shot of the seam weld between the faceplate and the shell?

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #206 of 852

Quote:
I just emailed Adam asking for status, and he had shipped it out earlier that day.  It was a surprise (a good one).  I did receive a tracking number from Adam.  I'm not sure what his normal practice in shipping notification though, since I had an odd timing to make my inquiry.

I have never listened to TF10, so I can't really make any comments.  UE10 Pro Customs were, at the time of release, reviewed as the most neutral sounding IEMs and I do agree.  I would love to be able to afford JH13s or Audeze LCD-2, but these UE10s are more than enough for my use.  These will be savior in my upcoming 11 hour flight.

It was difficult to take them out of my ears, but I managed to distract myself for a minute to take a few pics:

Holy crap, those drivers are gigantic! no way those are TF10 drivers..

Really good looking remold BTW; it makes me more excited for mine ^_^

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #207 of 852
I sadly only have my phone and that was as close of a shot as I could get them. And, well, I may have ran into a possible problem already. I just noticed it now and I did not notice it earlier. There seems to be a bubble that is forming in the plastic behind the driver. On my first picture, on the right headphone, you can barely see it. It's in the middle. I'll try to take another picture to see if I can make it more clear. That bubble was not there when I first inspected the headphones.

EDIT: Here is a picture, I have boxed the bubble in red:

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #208 of 852

Quote:
I sadly only have my phone and that was as close of a shot as I could get them. And, well, I may have ran into a possible problem already. I just noticed it now and I did not notice it earlier. There seems to be a bubble that is forming in the plastic behind the driver. On my first picture, on the right headphone, you can barely see it. It's in the middle. I'll try to take another picture to see if I can make it more clear. That bubble was not there when I first inspected the headphones.

EDIT: Here is a picture, I have boxed the bubble in red:

So the bubble is growing?

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #209 of 852
I've (mostly) read through this thread and it has me quite excited. I have a pair of UE TF10's I'd like reshelled but I have no idea what the options are. Can someone explain?

* Difference between custom and universal reshell? They look identical.
* Can he reshell other IEM's like the Super.Fi 5''s?
* What the practical differences between acrylic and silcone are? What material are the stock TF10's? Why would you choose one over the other?
* From a recent post it seems like it is possible to get detachable cable with silicone. Is this official?
* Does having a detachable cable really matter? I see that many people are getting the feature for free without paying for it.
* I wear my cables around my ears, to the back of my head. Will a reshell change or affect this?
* If I get detachable cables, which cables does Kozee use? My TF10's or some other ones? If I get non-detachable cables, same question.

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #210 of 852

Quote:
I've (mostly) read through this thread and it has me quite excited. I have a pair of UE TF10's I'd like reshelled but I have no idea what the options are. Can someone explain?

* Difference between custom and universal reshell? They look identical.
* Can he reshell other IEM's like the Super.Fi 5''s?
* What the practical differences between acrylic and silcone are? What material are the stock TF10's? Why would you choose one over the other?
* From a recent post it seems like it is possible to get detachable cable with silicone. Is this official?
* Does having a detachable cable really matter? I see that many people are getting the feature for free without paying for it.
* I wear my cables around my ears, to the back of my head. Will a reshell change or affect this?
* If I get detachable cables, which cables does Kozee use? My TF10's or some other ones? If I get non-detachable cables, same question.

Thanks!

I haven't had any customs, let alone a reshell before, but I'm confident I can answer your questions:
  1. They should be identical in practice, since the technology and components inside customs and universals is fundamentally the same.
  2. Yes, as long as they use balanced armature drivers.
  3. Acrylic is easier to produce, allows you to choose custom artwork and is easier to build with detachable cables. Silicone is flexible, so when you're moving (say, chewing) the earphone is less likely to unseat itself than an acrylic one.
  4. On their site, Kozee says that detachable cables are only available with acrylic molds, but I guess it's possible nonetheless, although probably more complicated.
  5. If you want to swap cables, or if your IEMs go through rough use, a detachable cable is a good idea, but for the typical music listener (rather than touring artist), there's no need for a detachable cable.
  6. No, if anything it'll make it easier, because they can change where the cable comes out of the earphone so it's easier to wear the cable over your ear.
  7. I would assume that they use your original cable for it. But it's better to let someone who's actually gotten earphones reshelled to chime in.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back