KOSS UR20 vs. Sennheiser HD201
Jan 1, 2011 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Xtrenity

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for what you would call, "The best bang for the buck". I usually just use this for moderate gaming, and some music listening. I'm not going to fork over anything that's more than 40 dollars, (if it's something like 42 dollars I'll think about it). So far, from taking a look at head room's, I'm deciding between the KOSS or the Sennheiser. I prefer buying from best buy as I have a gift card from it that I am willing to spend. I care the most about the sound quality and durability. Noise cancellation can be put at the bottom of the list.

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 19
Not sure about the Koss but I have the HD201 and they are pretty crappy headphones. I couldn't even give them away to my 7 year old nephew to use with his DS.

Why don't you go the Koss PortaPro instead? They're well regarded around here.

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 19
was dissapointed with UR20's

Maybe you can check AKG K44's, don't know what they would exactly cost, but they are pretty low budget

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 19
The Coby looks good, but I don't see it at best buy, unfortunately. It's cheap though, and if they are better than Skullcandy, it's taken into consideration.
About those AKG's, those are well over budget. 50 bucks for the cheapest of them? Not gonna happen. I've heard the UR 40 is amazing. Thanks for the quick replies, everyone!

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 19
2 issues I had with the UR20.  1 is the size.  They might be the largest headphone I've ever put on my head.  I mean they are serioulsy HUGE!!  But the 2nd and more disappointing for me is that they sound very hollow.  They have a good solid bass to them but really require a lot of EQ to fill in the sound.  Most likely it's the cheap plastic and not so quality padding that makes them sound this way.  They are quite easy to drive though and if you eq the hell out of them, you can get them sounding pretty good. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
The Coby looks good, but I don't see it at best buy, unfortunately. It's cheap though, and if they are better than Skullcandy, it's taken into consideration.
About those AKG's, those are well over budget. 50 bucks for the cheapest of them? Not gonna happen. I've heard the UR 40 is amazing. Thanks for the quick replies, everyone!

I bought mine at Kohls on clearance I had previously read about them on IjokerI's portable thread when I saw them there for $8 I had to buy them.

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 19
Does anyone else have a suggestion? I'm sort of leaning towards the Sennheiser, but after reading that I'm staying away, and the review about the KOSS is also making me lean away from that.

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 19
UR55. Be happy. $39.99 at Best Buy I believe. It's great for the money. Solid sound. Basically a legendary PortaPro, reshelled.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #12 of 19
UR55 is nice. UR40 is decent too. the UR40 is a poor mans HD650 with less sub-bass. i was using a pair of UR40 right before getting my HD650's and they sound pretty similar.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
Hmmm, anything else? I'm going to go for the UR55, it seems pretty good.

I just got a pair tonight, be careful though, they're really small! I have to adjust them all the way out for them to fit on me. Try them and if they don't fit get the PortaPros, they're pretty similar. (I have those too)

Quote:
Xtrenity said:

The PortaPros are ten dollars more...

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #14 of 19
The HD201 are pretty garbage for anything other than instrumentals from when i had them. They have his slight hollow thin sound that i just did not like at all when i first tried them on. I returned those things asap and spent a little more for the ATH m30s which i still have and love to this day.  

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
The HD201 are pretty garbage for anything other than instrumentals from when i had them. They have his slight hollow thin sound that i just did not like at all when i first tried them on. I returned those things asap and spent a little more for the ATH m30s which i still have and love to this day.  

Yeah I've listened to them, they aren't spectacular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back