Koss PortaPro
Jul 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

marko93101

500+ Head-Fier
Hi : )
eh i was looking into getting a pair of these. And i listen to mostly rock, some orchestra and they'll be for home use (i.e my laptop) aswel. So i was just wondering would they be suited for me? also would the FiiO E5 do anything for them?
Thanks in Advance
Marko93101

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 26
I have both the Portapro and the KSC75 (they share the same drivers), and IMO the KSC75 is a better headphone with more controlled bass. The Portapro's bass is pretty bloated and you can head a bit of distortion at higher volumes. YMMV, though. That's not saying they are bad headphones - for the price, I was pretty happy. Both are perfect for rock (the KSC75 is better for classical).

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 26
Im quite new to all the higher quality audio.. Like my first 'high' end earphones were Bose In-Ears... They broke 3 differrent times, causing me to move onto the Shure E210's.. Now im looking for my first set of headphones, reckon these will be a good starter?

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 26
Second the KSC75s.  Less than half the price, and I find them much more comfortable.  If you look around I believe there's some mods using cheap headphones if you really want to have a headband to put them on instead; should still be way ahead costwise.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 26
I think the KSC75s are better than the Porta Pros if you can get them adjusted just right.  My ear anatomy doesn't allow that with out being very uncomfortable.  Over all I'd say to go with the porta pros unless you know clip on 'phones don't bother you or you're willing to do the headband mod.  (read the reviews)

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:
Hmmm will any cheap headphones do? i live in Ireland. So ordering them could take a long time ot recieve

Not really.  There are plenty of great sounding cheap headphones but they are lost lost in the background of thousands and thousands of pieces of crap.  You might want to check if the JVC HARX 500/700/900 are available locally.  I've never heard them, but many speak quite highly of them for their price.  That's about the extent of knowledge of super cheap headphones though.

Jul 12, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:
Im quite new to all the higher quality audio.. Like my first 'high' end earphones were Bose In-Ears... They broke 3 differrent times, causing me to move onto the Shure E210's.. Now im looking for my first set of headphones, reckon these will be a good starter?

Yes! I bought them after I already had a few expensive headphones, and was blew away by what the the KSC75 gave me.

Quote:
Not really.  There are plenty of great sounding cheap headphones but they are lost lost in the background of thousands and thousands of pieces of crap.  You might want to check if the JVC HARX 500/700/900 are available locally.  I've never heard them, but many speak quite highly of them for their price.  That's about the extent of knowledge of super cheap headphones though.

+1. Most cheap headphones are garbage and break easily. Not sure what their warranty policy in Ireland is, but in the US, Koss has a lifetime warranty on their headphones and people have gotten free replacements after 10 years or so.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
You might want to check if the JVC HARX 500/700/900 are available locally.  I've never heard them, but many speak quite highly of them for their price.  That's about the extent of knowledge of super cheap headphones though.

They are great headphones...they lack of mids when you got them (on rock music), but after some burn in they improve...with some Eq tweaking too. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 26
Straight off the bat the Grados look too expensive, im 17 so money is a serious issue.
The JVC HARX700's look pretty decent, and from what im reading have been found to be excellent, after a certain period of usage..
Looking into the V/C-Jays now, and still keeping Koss in mind
The JVC's are looking like the winners here. Anyone know if they sell them in Ireland, or a good cheap place to buy them online that delivers to Ireland?

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 26
I'd suggest the Koss UR-55 over the Porta Pros any day. They are far more comfortable and sound much better. I don't think they have the same drivers because they have a lot more bass and it's nowhere near bloated. For me they're very good for rock music. The comfort is also good. Since I wear glasses, the Porta Pro's were painful on my head. Sadly, I lost them. I don't know how someone can lose a pair of headphones!

People who love the KSC75 and Porta Pro's REALLY need to try out the UR-55's. Strangely, these even sound better with an amp, but don't require one.

Oh and they're only $50! I consider them an upgrade of the Porta Pros!

Does anyone know anything else about the UR-55? Are they new? Are they a Best Buy exclusive? Right now they're kind of a mystery to me. I don't know if they're a re-release of an older model or what!

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #15 of 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back