KOSS PORTAPRO
Jan 1, 2009 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

z50j

100+ Head-Fier
I have 'em ! ! !
eek.gif

Just got it at Kingsound, Mong Kok, Hong Kong for 320HKD at 12/28/08.

My Review from the outside in.

LOOKS
Well, they look younger in actual rather than the net. The funky blue is not seen that much. My cousins say they look cheap because of the metal headband. Overall, it is a hit and miss kind of design, some will like it while some dislike it.
redface.gif

PORTABILITY
Compared to the Sennheiser PX100 and the AKG K 414, it folds more "compact". Unlike the other two which folds in a manner that ressembles a pair of glasses, the PortaPros fold into a ball, more than twice the width of the Senn's but half the length. Overall, nobody has made headphones fold in a way that everyone likes.
confused.gif

COMFORT
"It pulls out your hair !" As most of you know this is one of the dislikes of the portapros, for me the answer is simple, stretch it first then put it on your head. On the ears, on firm it may be a little too tight but on light, the entire weight is held by those foam cussions above the drivers. Overall, they may be used for hours on end but after getting them of your head, you feel that your ears are relieved from those pads on them.
popcorn.gif

ISOLATION
When they're at decent at volume, you dont hear the noise outside, unless of course there's a car hoking at you. When your source is switched off its like your phones arent there. Overall, if you want to enjoy to listen to music at noisy environments or use your phones to escape the outside, I wouldnt recomend these for you.
smile_phones.gif

SOUND
-highs (treble)
To make it short, I hear things that I dont hear before
-mid
Well, women voices sound like womens voices while mens voices sound like mens voices
-lows (bass)
It's like I'm wearing full sized enclosed headphones
Overall, THESE ARE the perfect pair
L3000.gif

My Remarks
I like the RetRo design
I bought ray ban aviators and chuck taylors to match 'em
The wires dont look so Hi-Fi
Cant Koss at least change the color?
Why are these made in China?

Jan 1, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol why WOULDN'T they be made in china. Look at the thing... The entire design of the headphone is begging to be assembled by cheap sweat shop labor.

I was just shocked when i was about to open the box, there was the address of Koss USA, the barcode, then "Made in China"

lol

Jan 1, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Porta Pro, what a brilliant value for money
smily_headphones1.gif
My favourite headphone for my PSP at home..

Yes ! I agree, they are a great value for money. They are also great for music, movies and games

Jan 1, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by z50j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ISOLATION
When they're at decent at volume, you dont hear the noise outside, unless of course there's a car hoking at you. When your source is switched off its like your phones arent there. Overall, if you want to enjoy to listen to music at noisy environments or use your phones to escape the outside, I wouldnt recomend these for you.
smile_phones.gif

They're open headphones, isolation has nothing to do with them. With regards to the PortaPros in general, they're great for the price, but I believe that the PortaPro drivers are the same as the ksc75 drivers, so they should sound very similar.

Most every headphone nowadays are made in China. It doesn't mean that they're bad though, look at Head-Direct!

Personally, I found the highs to be a bit harsh, mids recessed, and the bass fuzzy and a little bit weak. However, for the price, everything is excellent and I can't recommend these enough to people who are interested in headphones. PortaPros > Bose anyday
icon10.gif
These are probably the best headphones to travel with. The ESW9's are amazing, but I'm always afraid that somebody will take them or that they'll be damaged.

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Personally, I found the highs to be a bit harsh, mids recessed, and the bass fuzzy and a little bit weak. However, for the price, everything is excellent and I can't recommend these enough to people who are interested in headphones. PortaPros > Bose anyday
icon10.gif
These are probably the best headphones to travel with. The ESW9's are amazing, but I'm always afraid that somebody will take them or that they'll be damaged.

The highs maybe a bit harsh, but the mids are not recessed I can tell you that. The bass, maybe you just didnt play the right song for it

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 43
Ahh, I was speaking from memory. Pulled out my PortaPro's and listened to them for about 2 hours. When I first started my plunge into audiophilia, the first things I bought were PortaPro and KSC75. Definitely the best 60$ that I've spent. The bass is definitely fuzzy, but has good impact and quantity, High's are harsh and not very detailed. You're right, Mid's are very present, a little forward, but very pleasant also. The frequency chart shows a significant mid hump. It may seem like the PortaPro's aren't good, but I loved them. Of course, this is comparing them to my ESW9's.

I think the next step up from the PortaPro's should be Grady SR-60 or SR-80. Definitely not portable, but if you like the sound signature of the Koss, you'd probably like those also.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that the PortaPro drivers are the same as the ksc75 drivers, so they should sound very similar.

Actually not. They have different drivers. The KSC75 has a titaninium coating on its driver, which makes the sound more detail, lesser bass and to my ears, more fatigue. The Porta has the same drivers with KSC35 and both of them sound warm, quite dark and very bassy. KSC35 is by far the best Koss I've ever heard.

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually not. They have different drivers. The KSC75 has a titaninium coating on its driver, which makes the sound more detail, lesser bass and to my ears, more fatigue. The Porta has the same drivers with KSC35 and both of them sound warm, quite dark and very bassy. KSC35 is by far the best Koss I've ever heard.

I thought all three had the same drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back