Koss portapro Vs Sennheiser HD 238
Apr 10, 2010 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Salent

Head-Fier
So my local best buy has both the koss portapros and sennheiser hd 238 both about the same price. which one should i get. I mostly listen to hardcore music and some rap if that helps.

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #5 of 20
thats a cheap 238
biggrin.gif
Anyway this is a hard question to answer at those prices because I prefer the portapro but the 238s are priced at 1/3 of regular street prices. Lets just say if you want a smooth and punchy sound with some sparkle get the portapro. If you want a richer sounding can with the typical senn sound signature, get the hd238. If I were to say what their biggest weaknesses were it would be that the portapro has slightly recessed mids with a slightly pronounced mid bass. I say slightly on the midbass because it is not that much more pronounced than typical earpad types. The hd238s biggest weakness is worse... It sounds distorted... basically on the verge of sounding damaged. It also has the typical bass boominess of earpad cans and a rolled off treble but thats not really gonna be as much of an issue as its distortion problem.

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 20
I own both and the hd238's sound signature is outstanding (I have never heard any distortion with them), sounding like an audiophile headphone while the Porta Pros sound like a good budget phone. Buy the 238's for that price but keep in mind that they will need more juice to power them(Fiio E5) good match.

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 20
maybe koss porta pro LE at same price ur means?

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 20
I would say if you're not planning on using an amp it would be the PortaPro all the way. Great sound, good bass nice instrument separation. The 238 is slightly darker sounding. Not so forward and clear. But if you amp the 238, you will get some very good sound out of them. As one poster said, perhaps the Fiio E5 for 20 would be an ice match. If you can really pick up a brand new 238 for 34 dollars and go order the E5 for 19.99, that's probably what I would do. 55 dollars for both is an amazing deal!

May 23, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 20
Listened to and liked both of them.... longer bass notes where better on the HD238, and drums and percussion where better on the PortaPro. Soundstage is similar, and highs both have shimmer, though I would say the HD238 is a little more 'steely'. Comfort wise I prefer the HD238, they fit my largish head well, and the earpads are soft. My biggest complaint is the thin cord with the huge jack at the end, feels like I could get enough leverage to split my s9 in half if my pocket twisted it the wrong way. PortaPros are more portable, and the ones at B-Buy have a nicer 3.5mm connection that is small and fits in recessed headphone jacks, and fabric sheathing on the cable.

May 23, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
thats a cheap 238
biggrin.gif
Anyway this is a hard question to answer at those prices because I prefer the portapro but the 238s are priced at 1/3 of regular street prices. Lets just say if you want a smooth and punchy sound with some sparkle get the portapro. If you want a richer sounding can with the typical senn sound signature, get the hd238. If I were to say what their biggest weaknesses were it would be that the portapro has slightly recessed mids with a slightly pronounced mid bass. I say slightly on the midbass because it is not that much more pronounced than typical earpad types. The hd238s biggest weakness is worse... It sounds distorted... basically on the verge of sounding damaged. It also has the typical bass boominess of earpad cans and a rolled off treble but thats not really gonna be as much of an issue as its distortion problem.

Agreed, I own the HD238's took the first pair back.......Second pair is just as lousy. They get used for comparison to headphones in about the same price range, it can't get much worse IMO. No clarity, seperation, and very poor soundstage for an open can.

May 25, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 20
What source are you using? The amplifiers in most portable players are too weak to get decent sound out of a good headphone, and most lack equalizers to compensate for so called "boominess" Try listening to a stereo with the Senns and PortaPros, not an ipod, not a zune, and if you must have a portable, get an s9.

May 25, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 20
BNe careful, because as far as i know the Porta's, the Senn HD218,228 and 238 are now all being counterfeited. 

If I had my choice though.... much as like the Koss, I'd go for the HD's. I find the HD's far more comfortable

May 25, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
Agreed, I own the HD238's took the first pair back.......Second pair is just as lousy. They get used for comparison to headphones in about the same price range, it can't get much worse IMO. No clarity, seperation, and very poor soundstage for an open can.

I have a set and think they are great - especially at $34.99.  Guess everyones ears are different.   I like them better than some Allesandro MS1's that everyone seems to think are great.

May 25, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #15 of 20
It's strange to compare portapros and hd 238 side by side.
IMO there's simply no comparison.
The portapros are super muddy, while the hd238's have comparable SQ to the AT-ESW9 that's so lauded, and super comfy to boot.

Only thing is hd238 needs more power to drive than portapros to sound decent, but portapros are a definite no-no, at least for me.
And I'm already considered somewhat a basshead.

My 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back