Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
May 15, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #1,396 of 1,437
I'd also like to add that my favourite portable set up is, as of right now, my KSC75 with orange Yaxi pads with hole cut out in the middle (see earlier post), clipped to the silver Retrospekt headband, and paired with the ifi Micro iDSD Signature (although I think any ifi product with XBass and 3D/XSpace will do). The Xbass perfectly compliments the KSC75 bass roll-off without being overdone when I feel like a little extra thump (although at this very moment I'm enjoying it without the XBass), and the XSpace adds incredible layering and depth to the sound that rival my Hifiman Arya or ZMF Atrium, whilst weighing next to nothing on my head.

May 15, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #1,397 of 1,437
One day, one day I'll get into modding the KSC75 to detach the cable.... but in the meantime, a koss KSC75 with the linguini utility cable would be an acceptable step up to no longer have to deal with the tangling of the stock KSC57 cable.

Make it black instead of silver and add an inline mic like the Kph30i for extra brownie points.
How'd you get the ksc75 with the linguini utility cable? You're talking about the same cable that comes with the kph40 right?

And I believe that Amazon is selling the dark ksc75x version for $20. Think I'm gonna pick it up my self. Then some easy to do 3d printed adapters for the cable mod(tekki-uk on ebay has them).

I think the ksc75x, mmcx cable mod, Kramer mod/or fibanacci grills, I should have the ultimate koss.

May 15, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #1,398 of 1,437
How'd you get the ksc75 with the linguini utility cable? You're talking about the same cable that comes with the kph40 right?

And I believe that Amazon is selling the dark ksc75x version for $20. Think I'm gonna pick it up my self. Then some easy to do 3d printed adapters for the cable mod(tekki-uk on ebay has them).

I think the ksc75x, mmcx cable mod, Kramer mod/or fibanacci grills, I should have the ultimate koss.
Oh no, I don't have it a ksc75 with linguini cable, I was passively asking the Universe (and Koss specifically) to make it a reality.

It's their best sounding product. They should give it their best cable (if they are going to continue insisting on attached cables :p).

May 15, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #1,399 of 1,437
Oh no, I don't have it a ksc75 with linguini cable, I was passively asking the Universe (and Koss specifically) to make it a reality.

It's their best sounding product. They should give it their best cable (if they are going to continue insisting on attached cables :p).
Ah. I got it. My bad. Lol

And yes that would be nice in a perfect koss world. :)

Jun 8, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #1,400 of 1,437
Picked up a KSC75X (Drop version) this is now my third KSC75. So far this Drop version is the only one of my 3 KSC75s to not exhibit a "chirping" distortion in the sub bass when I use EQ, I've read that others have heard this same distortion as well. The plastic also feels different. Not sure if Koss used a different more durable plastic here in the Drop version, but it just feels better and more solid in the hand. Not sure if I dig the dark midnight blue, but I'm using a Koss X Retrospekt headband that covers most of the color up anyway. I'll probably get another silver KSC75 to see if Koss really did do something different with the Drop version.

Jul 6, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #1,401 of 1,437
koss.jpg

I am aware of the Kramer mod, but it seems too intrusive and risky for my skills, so here is a different modification, very simple to execute, yet with audible and pleasant results.

Just take a ball pen and use it to increase the size of the round holes on the back of the shells. You don't need to apply too much pressure, just place the tip of the pen into a hole and make slow round moves. That's it.

Now I can hear more refined, tighter bass, even better soundstage & imaging and better defined highs. The sound is so sweet even on YouTube videos. :smile_phones:

Oct 3, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #1,402 of 1,437
Koss ksc75....I've been listening to this not so hidden gem for some time. Initially bought for VR gaming, but it's uses have expanded considerably. Only mod is switched to Yaxi pads.

Stunning headphones for the price! Yes, they are cheap and the cable is cheap, but the sound is awesome. Energetic, open, detailed. At times I prefer these to even some of my best headphones like denon ah-d9200 and hifiman he1000 v2 stealth.

Are they as good? Technically no but they are darn close, and just so open. They have this unique sound signature that's unlike anything else. To anyone reading this, pick a pair up! You have nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #1,405 of 1,437
I'm not going to go on and on about this headphone. It's worth noting, though, that it does seem the intention from the onset is to be the "non iem" that you can wear over ear but without a headband. It mostly succeeds in this goal. Admittedly, Koss has never improved it (better/detachable cable? more comfortable foam? etc.) so it's up to modders.

And Koss has never improved the other popular models much either, so they are just sitting on their success which is a bit off putting. So all and all a mixed bag but the ksc75 just sound good, they really do.

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #1,406 of 1,437
To be fair, making improvements like upgrading the cable, making it removable or upgrading the foam would in all likelihood increase the cost. The popular models are all clearly intended to hit a budget price point and they do it well.

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #1,407 of 1,437
I've had my set of 75's for about 2 years and they have yet to leave my portable setup. I am on ships from time to time for the Navy, and to have an open sounding, crisp headphone like setup that takes very little room in my bag is a gift. Sure it's great to have the IEM's for some private listening, but if I'm working out, or just want to have an inner-ear break, they're perfect. I know it's not in their intentions, but I would love to see a premium 75 release from koss.

Oct 14, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #1,408 of 1,437
This just happened to me.

I took out a pair of broken KSC75s (left side, no sound) that I had in a drawer and stupidly proceeded to try them on without looking at the pad. The result? Icky black dots all over my ears!

What Maywind says about contemplating over the $7-8 for replacement pads is valid considering that the KSC75s are around $16. For my needs, I think I'll try out some pads that others have recommended online such as the Plantronics Supras (already quarter-modded) or the venerable HD414 canary yellow pads.

I'm wondering if the cause of the disintegration is due to humidity.

For one of my spare KSC75s, the stock pads just deteriorated. The black foam was falling apart, causing a big mess in a bag I had some other headphones in.

This is the second time this has happened to me. Thanks for reading my mini-rant! :)

This just happened to me again for the third time. However, this time it's a pair of Koss KTXPro1s.

Might try to replace with the Koss warranty, but I hate that the Koss pads disintegrate like this if left in a drawer or a bag for an extended period of time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back