Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Sep 17, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #1,381 of 1,437
OK the pads from Ali have arrived. They're about the same size as the stock pads, but the texture is different - thicker and softer. I've put them over the original pads and the result is positive. Both the comfort and the sound improved, though I did have to lower the bass frequencies a bit and push the highs just a little because the double pads arrangement made the bass more pronounced and the entire sound darker. (They reminded me of the KTX Pro1 at first, which I tried once and didn't like)

koss3.jpg

With these small EQ interventions the soundstage is wonderfull, there is more air around the music, everything is so immersive, warm yet clear and easy on the ears. I'm wearing them for hours with ease.

Simply put, they have this large, convincing sound, like having real speakers close to your ears. This is a real step above the stock KSC75 sound and a fantastic value. Big win Head-Fi!

Sep 22, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #1,382 of 1,437
Logitech H370 headset and Rode AI-Micro soundcard

Had a well used Logitech headset I was going to toss away. Then decided to cannibalize the mic for my Rode AI-Micro just for fun. As I popped out the drivers from the headset, I realized that they are mini ball socket joints which look familiar. Hmm, had a quick thought to just check on my long-ignored KSC75 to see if they may fit. Surprise surprise, they did wonderfully!

Pluses

These Logitech headset have split bands over the top, they are light and do not apply too much pressure on the drivers over my ears. They are perfect and can be worn full day without any sore or pain – for me at least. Much better than those silly ear hooks! This refreshes my KSC75 with better fit and comfort. As the drivers are now gently pressed closer to my ears, I think they sound better. Been enjoying them to listen to streaming radio using my Redmi Note10 Pro phone (with Atmos enabled) via Ikko Zerda USB DAC, with Yaxi pads. Sounds wonderful with good clarity and well balanced sound.

Take Note

Do note that these Logitech seems to be on the smaller side, so if you have big head please check ahead to make sure they fit you. Also the sockets on the headband run vertically (as opposed to Koss' horizontally) so it will result in your wires protruding either to the front or back (your choice), but not bottom. I choose back so that they are not at my cheeks and not in my peripheral vision. Finally, with the mic boom removed, there will be a gap on the left cup where the mic swivel used to be – think of it as useful indicator to let you know which is the left side.

Buy Used?

These Logitech headsets are more costly than Part Express’ headphone alternative, so do consider buying them used. It’s an old model USB headset from Logitech so they are aplenty on used market, at least where I am in Singapore.

Steps

Steps, if you need them:

1. Gently pop out the Logitech drivers with your fingers. They are just moderately attached to the ball sockets, not too hard or too firm. Be gentle as you do not want to damage those sockets else it’s ruined.
  2. Unscrew the 3 screws on each driver, and pry away the round faceplates with a fine screwdriver or pen knife.
  3. Over on the left cup, use a screwdriver to pry out the PCB (held down by melted plastic from the standoffs).
  4. Snip off all the wires in both cups.
  5. Use a pair of sharp tipped tweezers to pull out part of the wire which crosses the headband over to right cup. Once a small portion of it is pulled out, then just pull out the rest with your fingers. It’s lightly glued down in the slot channel. Alternatively, just leave the wire alone, it does no harm just that it has no purpose. I am OCD, so I chose to remove it.
  6. Unscrew the last visible screw connected to the swivel cap (with Logi logo) which holds down the mic boom on left cup.
  7. Remove mic boom, and screw back the swivel cap.
  8. Remove ear hooks from your KSC75 drivers and mark them Left and Right for easy identification.
  9. Choose whether you want your cable out front or back, align each accordingly, and then pop the drivers in. You’re done!

Rode AI-Micro

Finally, if you love your 3.5mm Koss so much and cannot part with it, then consider getting the Rode AI-Micro which is a sound card with a headphone out and 2x mic inputs. It can be used on Android and Apple phones, and also PC and Mac. There are couple of Rode softwares you can download which will give you basic control like mic gain level or a virtual mixer board with up to 4 mic inputs and 2 computer inputs. Why do I need this for??

Well, firstly as a soundcard the output ain’t too shabby for Koss headphones. It outputs decent 48kHz 24bit with good separation and soundstage – it’s for stereo sound recording after all – so I do enjoy listening to music with it. Secondly and the bonus is you can attach any cheap 3.5mm mic (TRS or TRRS only; TS or mono jack is not written in the spec sheet) and it allows you to adjust the gain and do real time monitoring with virtually no lag. It’s faster than Aptx LL, and I am guessing only 5-10ms lag which is not noticeable. Why do I need that for??

Well, if you love your Koss so much that you sleep with them on, you can now use this set up for your virtual meetings with real time monitoring! So your Koss is with you all the time for leisure and work too! Needless to say, it can also be used for sound recording for your video on mobile phones, for podcasting and for vlogging.

I find it fun so thought I would just share the idea of its use case. Especially for long virtual meetings, the Koss’es are light and comfortable for extended use.

Oh, The Logitech Boom Mic

Oh, don’t forget that the boom mic you just popped out of the Logitech can be repurposed to be used on the Rode AI-Micro. There are just 2 wires, so you can solder it to a TRS 3.5mm jack – Signal to Tip (and Ring too if you want the mono sound to be on both Left and Right channels), and Ground (the copper one which looks like bare wire) to Sleeve. They are coated with some non-conductive coatings, so just use a lighter to burn them off – they burn like dynamite fuse so be ready with your breath to blow the flame out before the flame reaches your fingers! - and wipe the soot off, prior to soldering.

Hope you find this sharing helpful. Enjoy your Koss!

20220921_222217.jpg
20220922_195514.jpg
20220922_194936.jpg
20220922_195147.jpg
20220922_195421.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #1,383 of 1,437
KTXPRO1 drivers on a parts express headband.

I was curious about the KTXPRO1 as not many seem to mention it and no one seems to mod it. So I bought one and took it apart, soldered a new cable on it and had to add the cable cover caps on the drivers from a damaged pair of porta pros. The pictures should be self explanatory, so I won’t go into detail on the process. Most people seem to think it’s the same driver as the KSC75. It isn’t. It has the same back as the porta pro, but it’s titanium coated. The back of the KSC75’s are their own thing, more rounded bigger holes. I own the porta pro, KSC75, kph30iC, kph40i, and these modded KTXpro1’s. They have more bass then the KSC75’s and more treble and mids then everything else. They sit right in the middle in regards to tone then the KPH40’s and the KSC75’s. I like all of these Koss headphones for different reasons, but if I had to pick only one I’d go with the KPH40’s.
0BC5A79A-E300-4419-8C71-C720D39E681D.jpeg
0046E26C-97AE-4C99-916F-08EDED793389.jpeg
ABD4EE2C-8C58-4B66-A952-711ED00CBACB.jpeg
2A937DC0-9F22-4602-B156-D97889EFD8FF.jpeg
929E1A61-58F2-435F-A665-33346A37E794.jpeg
08A5EBB4-ED3B-4660-B25A-7CF7534F635B.jpeg
7F668933-E12A-432B-9626-F5BD59B5DF33.jpeg
A09A6148-AA99-4F71-B2E4-70F37EC05CA6.jpeg

Feb 11, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #1,384 of 1,437
Has anyone purchased this headband from ebay? I've gotten the Parts Express headband in the past, but a while back they switched up the shape to a more boxy design... Does anyone know if they switched back to a single curve? I wish I could buy Porta Pros headbands without drivers...

Feb 12, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #1,386 of 1,437
Mar 21, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #1,387 of 1,437
After 5 years of more music listening than I have ever listened in my 43 years of living and a few well regarded iems, headphones and speakers later, plus lots of experience of listening to HiFi and HiEnd systems, plus countless hours of reading and watching hundreds of other opinions on the matter, I have come to a point we're I can say I enjoy music through my phone, BTR5 and KSC75s on a headband more than anything else and they rarely leave my head nowadays. Not saying they sound better than anything else. Just that I enjoy them more than anything and will sell most of the rest soon. 🍻 Long live Koss!
Amen to this. LG v20 straight to KSC75s with Yaxi pads and headband... heaven. In the process of selling so many things. Simplicity and amazing sound coming out of this setup.

Mar 25, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #1,388 of 1,437
For anyone who wants to splurge on a good headband, you can get replica PortaPro ones from AliExpress. I picked up mine from the post office today:
20230325_133927.jpg

Apr 15, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #1,389 of 1,437
This is just a simple appreciation post to thank a fellow head-fier @ledzep for his flawless work and enduring generosity.

Here’s his modded drivers mmcx style with new Yaxi pads, Parts Express headband and **** cable.

KSC75.jpg

I do prefer the weightlessness of the Parts Express headband over the PortaPro (they exert too much pressure over time on the ear).

KSC75 ibasso.jpg

Nifty little combo with the iBasso DC03pro. The app with gain mode and digital filters adds that little extra element of control.

Couldn’t be happier with this little puppies. Love the clarity, airiness and fine tuning. Embodiment of a timeless classic.

Every time I pick them up for a listening session, these words come to mind :

“… And we sat by the road, two wandering strangers,
like birds that spread their wings over the wide seas.
How good it is to rest deeply as if the road is over
although a long and eternal journey still awaits one.”

Steinn Steinarr, hvíld

May 7, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #1,391 of 1,437
Yesterday my porta pro band and the Luxurious pads arrived from Aliexpress.

I went with the pp band over something like a parts express because I love the weight, clamp, and comfort of the porta pro. And I went with the Luxurious pads over something like the yaxi pads basically because of price and they're pretty much quarter modded with three holes in the center.

And in my humble opinion, this is the way that the ksc75 should be listened too. Lol. The bass is more significant, and the sound has opened up a bit due to the pads. At least to may ears.

Next is the tekki-uk mmcx printed cable mod(available on eBay), and fibannaci grills. I want to do the kramer mod to them, but I want to do it style with the grills. Eventhough if they aren't visible. Lol

May 7, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #1,392 of 1,437
KTXPRO1 drivers on a parts express headband.

I was curious about the KTXPRO1 as not many seem to mention it and no one seems to mod it. So I bought one and took it apart, soldered a new cable on it and had to add the cable cover caps on the drivers from a damaged pair of porta pros. The pictures should be self explanatory, so I won’t go into detail on the process. Most people seem to think it’s the same driver as the KSC75. It isn’t. It has the same back as the porta pro, but it’s titanium coated. The back of the KSC75’s are their own thing, more rounded bigger holes. I own the porta pro, KSC75, kph30iC, kph40i, and these modded KTXpro1’s. They have more bass then the KSC75’s and more treble and mids then everything else. They sit right in the middle in regards to tone then the KPH40’s and the KSC75’s. I like all of these Koss headphones for different reasons, but if I had to pick only one I’d go with the KPH40’s.
0BC5A79A-E300-4419-8C71-C720D39E681D.jpeg0046E26C-97AE-4C99-916F-08EDED793389.jpegABD4EE2C-8C58-4B66-A952-711ED00CBACB.jpeg2A937DC0-9F22-4602-B156-D97889EFD8FF.jpeg929E1A61-58F2-435F-A665-33346A37E794.jpeg08A5EBB4-ED3B-4660-B25A-7CF7534F635B.jpeg7F668933-E12A-432B-9626-F5BD59B5DF33.jpegA09A6148-AA99-4F71-B2E4-70F37EC05CA6.jpeg
Your mod is excellent. It looks like those drivers are the ksc35 drivers.

But i'm curious , what made you take the drivers off the ktxpro headband? I still have to get me a ktxpro1, but l like the looks of the headband. I would rock them just how they are.

Was it a comfort issue, looks issue, or did you just want to try them on the pe headband?

And last question. Was there a sound change for better or worst on the pe band?

Again, nice mod.

May 8, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #1,394 of 1,437
Has anyone tried this funky-looking gradoesque mod for ksc75.

Someone on the kossmods sub reddit have used this mod. The people who made it must have made it with koss in mind cuz the ksc75 fit nicely in the cups with the included ring. The koss driver has to be hot glued in.

Its a very cool looking mod. It combines my two favorite headphones, a koss driver in a grado shell!

Edit: here is the sub link:
https://www.reddit.com/gallery/13b6znb

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #1,395 of 1,437
One day, one day I'll get into modding the KSC75 to detach the cable.... but in the meantime, a koss KSC75 with the linguini utility cable would be an acceptable step up to no longer have to deal with the tangling of the stock KSC57 cable.

Make it black instead of silver and add an inline mic like the Kph30i for extra brownie points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back