Koss KSC75: My Mouth Is Still Open!!
Mar 16, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #62 of 125
I picked up a couple pairs, and I've been listening for a day now. I think something is wrong...(listening out of 4G iPod)

At full volume(on the inline volume control), the bass is distorted, the highs are sparkly, and everything sounds congested. They sound like they aren't getting enough current.

At low volume(on the inline volume control), the bass cleans up(these have some nice bass
basshead.gif
), the midrange comes out from hiding, and the sound becomes less congested. The highs seem to roll off pretty early though. (everything over 15Khz is inaudible at my low listening levels)

This is out of my 4G iPod. My dad has some older Koss phones, and I remember while they sounded okay out of my iPod, plugging them into a better source(my old powerbook g3, an 80's cd player, etc) was night and day. Unfortunately these old phones also had rolled of treble.

It's also possible that I'm wearing them wrong. I put them on like glasses, but they don't cover my ears as much as I thought they would.

I don't have any other sources with me(besides a couple lower end sound cards, and a DAC with no headphone out). I guess I'll try them with other devices(including a DIY amp) in a couple weeks when I go home on break.

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #63 of 125
I stand corrected. I remembered my iMacG5 can supply 8W on its analog out. It usually sounds pretty bad with headphones(and is too loud on even the lowest volume setting...but the KSC75 has an inline attenuator), and as a line out to my stereo, so I've only been using the digital out.

The KSC75 sounds AMAZING out of it! It needed the extra power(the inline volume control makes the levels perfect out of the high power output). The weird tonality disappeared, the sibilance is gone, the bass is tighter but no longer takes over the entire stage, and all the congestion is gone. WOW! I wouldn't have stopped to post here if I didn't need find an extension cable somewhere!

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #64 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
Must experience these and at those prices there is no excuse.

you guys SUCK i'm going to get these tomorrow since the sale at rat shack ends on 3/18. what the heck, i guess i'll see how they sound with the volume control in there.

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #65 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you guys SUCK i'm going to get these tomorrow since the sale at rat shack ends on 3/18. what the heck, i guess i'll see how they sound with the volume control in there.

I hate you all!!! ---------- going off to radioshack the first thing in the morning......picking up 2 pairs ...

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #66 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
I hate you all!!! ---------- going off to radioshack the first thing in the morning......picking up 2 pairs ...

Mew,ha,ha...all will be assimilated...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #69 of 125
dang..these sucks are good....need to compare to PX100.....

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #70 of 125
they are worth the 16 bucks after tax i paid for them today. good stuff!

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #71 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
they are worth the 16 bucks after tax i paid for them today. good stuff!

initial impression is good..don't like the volume control...will let them burn in a little and do a PX100 comparison.

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #72 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
initial impression is good..don't like the volume control...will let them burn in a little and do a PX100 comparison.

vol control is pure suckage. if it's all the way up the highs are a bit bright and the bass goes byebye - if i turn it a bit low the bass comes up but it's a bit mudded and not lively, and the highs start playing hide and seek. screw the variable resistor, i just want a plain old cable!

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #73 of 125
So I laid down my 15 bucks and plugged into my PC...same result as Mikenet--bass way distorted, and nastly sparky treble. Jazz in particulary sounded dreadful.

But plugged into an iPod, much much better. So it was the pc--not the phones. They're lots of fun. They've been making the rounds around the office, and people are impressed.

New member, I'm only down $15 since joining, but thanks a lot for implanting all sorts of ideas about amps, higher end cans, and (gasp) getting more pleasure out of my music.

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #74 of 125
LMAO..I can actually enjoy Mahler with these...
orphsmile.gif
that right was reserved for the HD600/650
orphsmile.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #75 of 125
I listened to these for the first time a few days back too. Man, they're really good for $15! I really don't think there's anything that sounds better in the price range until you hit $65 for the SR-60. Nice tonal balance, thumping bass, an actual soundstage (whoa!) and very little bloat next to consumer-level gear. They don't have anywhere near the detail of a more expensive audiophile headphone, but they don't sound bad even if you ignore how much they cost, and considering our standards, that's saying something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back