Koss KSC-35 vs. KSC-50 (in pictures...)
Aug 18, 2001 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
So many people ask about the differences between these two headphones; the verbal descriptions are now pretty well established, but few people have had the chance to seem them side-by-side. So I whipped out the borrowed digicam and took some pictures
wink.gif

Four pictures of the two side-by-side:

You can see how the 50s (on the right) are much thicker and bulkier than the 35s (left). You can also see the stiff plastic earpiece of the 35s as compared to the flexible wire/rubber earpiece of the 50s:
both1.jpg

Another top/side view that shows the difference in size:
both2.jpg

A couple bottom/side views that show the clips quite clearly:
both3.jpg

both4.jpg

A closeup of the 35s:
35closeup.jpg

A closeup of the 50s. Where the earclip meets the driver enclosure, there is actually a spring -- the earclip rotates on the housing:

50closeup.jpg

A (blurry) closeup of the 35s' hinge. Whereas the 50s rotate on a spring to adapt to larger ears, the 35s shift on this hinge:
35hinge.jpg

A demonstration of the spring vs. the hinge. This shows the maximum clearance each of the cans can provide:
35extended.jpg

50extended.jpg

The flexible clip on the 50s. It's sort of a "Gumby" design -- stiff rubber over a piece of wire. The earclip actually stays like that until you bend it back
wink.gif

50bend.jpg

Finally, a closeup of the cables. The 35s have a standard rubber-coated cable, while the 50s have a stiffer cloth-like covering:
cables.jpg

Aug 18, 2001 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 43
Wow......now I am VERY happy that I shelled out $30 with shipping for my KSC-35s a couple months ago.....

Aug 18, 2001 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 43
...and take the foam off both and have a look,or take a picture if you can. The diaphragms on my pair of KSC-50's are metallic looking (vapor deposited metal, maybe titanium like the KTX-Pro?) yet I've heard that the KSC-35's and Porta/Sporta-Pro's have clear plastic diaphragms. I KNOW they probably sound so similar that it wouldn't matter, but it's if it is different then it's proof that they aren't EXACTLY the same or that there have been changes in the line.

Aug 19, 2001 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

The diaphragms on my pair of KSC-50's are metallic looking (vapor deposited metal, maybe titanium like the KTX-Pro?) yet I've heard that the KSC-35's and Porta/Sporta-Pro's have clear plastic diaphragms. I KNOW they probably sound so similar that it wouldn't matter, but it's if it is different then it's proof that they aren't EXACTLY the same or that there have been changes in the line.

Here are some pictures:

Backs (35s on the left, 50s on the right):
backs.jpg

A driver from the 35s:
35driver.jpg

A driver from the 50s:
50driver.jpg

The drivers actually look a bit different since, as you mentioned, the 50s look more "metallic." However, I actually examined the two drivers and they seem to be made of *exactly* the same material; it looks like, for some reason, the material is simply colored differently (clear vs. metallic).

As a side note, while I had them apart I took a picture of the inside of the enclosures for the 50s. You can see the spring-loaded hinge:
50inside.jpg

Aug 19, 2001 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 43
it's really easy to check the drivers too. that little plastic cover over each driver just pops off (it is attached in three places but those connections break very easily). Just stick an exacto-knife in the crack and pry it off. it just pops back into place when you put it back on too. but it's probably not that important.

Aug 19, 2001 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 43
I guess the KSC-50's drivers could be considered the "tweaked" or revised version of the driver used in the older models. I'm guessing a lot of things are the same, just that they added that extra coating (I have never seen plastic colored to the point of appearing metallic). Does this mean they sound different? Probably, just not enough for anyone to notice, especially since other factors come into play. BTW, great pics!

Neruda, from butter to exacto-knives =) J/P but do please be careful more for your own safety than for the headphones.

Aug 19, 2001 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 43
Well, it's commonly said that the KSC-35's sound better, mostly because of fit...

but EVERY difference changes sound. It's just fit that changes it most perceptably, in this case.

Aug 19, 2001 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Does this mean they sound different?

Well, if it means anything, while I had the bare drivers, I compared them using my Max (one through each headphone jack) and couldn't hear any difference at all. If anything should have been able resolve audible differences, the Max and an SACD should have. However, once the two phones were fully assembled, they did sound different (in all the ways that we have discussed here on Head-Fi). So it seems clear to me that the difference in sound is due to the respective enclosures.

My guess is that there is no "coating" -- it's simply the color of plastic they used for the drivers. When I took the covers off later, the two drivers appeared to have identical properties (material, flexibility, etc.). So I think they just used a different color of plastic (one clear, one metallic).

Aug 20, 2001 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 43
Other than myself, who prefers the aesthetics of the older KSC-35 to the newer KSC-50?

Jul 11, 2002 at 1:21 PM Post #13 of 43
Great pictures!

But those drivers look identical to the drivers in the Porta-Pro, except they are not blue.

Are the 35s and 50s better or worse than the Porta-Pro?

Jul 11, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #14 of 43
am i the only one who thinks the 50's look buttloads better than the 35's? i mean, it's to the point where right now if i had a choice, i wouldn't ever buy the 35's. i guess it's because i haven't heard either..?

oh and which one sounds better?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 11, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
am i the only one who thinks the 50's look buttloads better than the 35's? i mean, it's to the point where right now if i had a choice, i wouldn't ever buy the 35's. i guess it's because i haven't heard either..?

I'm with you here all the way. The 50's aren't exceptionally cool looking headphones, but the HIDEOUS 35's make the 50's look cool as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back