Koss KSC-35 vs. KSC-50 (in pictures...)
Jul 12, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #16 of 43
i think pictures are decieving.

if most ppl had the koss 50's in their actual hands, like i do, most will deem them butt ugly. I would definitely take the koss 35's over the 50's anyday...*hint hint*...if anyone wants to send me some koss 35's feel free to PM me about it
biggrin.gif

If i dont aquire some 35's soon...i will be forced to buy the portapros for aprox $50US ($75CAN)...
mad.gif

I hate the fit of the 50's...

Quote:

what kind of mods can I do to my 50s??

There is the croakie mod (i tried it, doesnt work too well, uncomfortable too), there is the wire mod (super easy, works very well, but looks geeky and stupid)....and i cant remember any others at the moment...

Jul 12, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
i think pictures are decieving.

if most ppl had the koss 50's in their actual hands, like i do, most will deem them butt ugly. I would definitely take the koss 35's over the 50's anyday...*hint hint*...if anyone wants to send me some koss 35's feel free to PM me about it
biggrin.gif

If i dont aquire some 35's soon...i will be forced to buy the portapros for aprox $50US ($75CAN)...
mad.gif

I hate the fit of the 50's...

There is the croakie mod (i tried it, doesnt work too well, uncomfortable too), there is the wire mod (super easy, works very well, but looks geeky and stupid)....and i cant remember any others at the moment...

what do they do and how do you do them?

Jul 12, 2002 at 6:07 AM Post #18 of 43
What's this wire mod you speak of?

Jul 12, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #19 of 43
the croakie mod:

Take a pair of croakie (or suitable imitation) and fit the two holder things that are supposed to attach to the ends of glasses, over the clips on the 50's. It should cover all of the rubber part of the clip. I did this mod with a pair of cotton imitation thing. Let me tell you to be sure that the croakie things are BIG enough for the 50's, as mine was barely big enough, and it took me 2 days of stretching to get them on.

The croakie mod is meant to improve comfort, and lessen the tendency of the 50's to slip or fall off when you have a lot of head movement. Personally, i did not like this mod. For me it was less comfortable, as it made the clips tighter to me, but if you want the clips tighter then do this mod. It did help the 50's stay on your ears.

The thing that annoys me the most about the 50's though, is that the bottom of the driver drifts away from your ear if you lean your head side to side. The croakie mod does NOT fix this.

the WIRE MOD:

The wire mod is super easy and cheap. Take some wire, maybe 2 or 3 inches, and wrap it like a coil around the headphone cord after the Y splitter, so that the wires going to the drivers are now wrapped together. This coil of wire should not have wire overlapping. Slide the wire down to the bottom, touching the grey Y splitter part. Put the headphones on. Move the wire up the cords until you feel it is tight enough so that the drivers do not drift from your ears.

This mod worked better for me. I can lean my head 90 degrees to the side, and still have the drivers pretty close to my ears. I usually have to pull the wire coil up to my chin to achieve this. THE DOWN SIDE: You look like a total dork. It just looks wierd. I wear it all the time since im at home, but the wire mod is the reason why i never take my koss 50's outside.

Dec 10, 2002 at 8:20 AM Post #22 of 43
Hi... You have had both the ksc35 and the 50s apart... do you think one could switch the diaphrams between the two? Does the speaker mount to the encloser the same way? They look almost identicle. I have the new 50's but they are bulky and I think hideous and difficult to work out in. I would be willing to spring for a pair of the 35's which some are still selling at marked up price in order to take advantage of their snugger fit design but only if I could pop the diaphrams of the 50's into them. What do you think? Will it work?

Dec 10, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by hawkeye128
Hi... You have had both the ksc35 and the 50s apart... do you think one could switch the diaphrams between the two? Does the speaker mount to the encloser the same way? They look almost identicle. I have the new 50's but they are bulky and I think hideous and difficult to work out in. I would be willing to spring for a pair of the 35's which some are still selling at marked up price in order to take advantage of their snugger fit design but only if I could pop the diaphrams of the 50's into them. What do you think? Will it work?

Why would you want to? The diaphrams (I'm assuming you mean the drivers) are identical except for color.

Dec 10, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #25 of 43
I noticed in the pictures that the KSC50s you show have the OLD fabric covered cords. Koss has now switched to its regular black plastic (?) coating (same as the KSC35's, portapros, etc). The fabric coating was supposed to be tangle-proof, in imitation of Sony earclips, but it was a big disaster. Not only didn't it prevent tangles, the covering also split open revealing the wires inside.

Dec 11, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Why would you want to? The diaphrams (I'm assuming you mean the drivers) are identical except for color.

Looks like a better choice would be to remove the backs of the 50s and snap on the 35 earpieces, if you had any extras.

Dec 11, 2002 at 5:52 AM Post #27 of 43
Why would I want to switch the driver? Actually I don't. I want to be able to utilize the 50's drivers should one go bad on the 35's in the future.

Update on my new Ksc50's ...They broke! Had'em one day. One side of the little plastic clasp where the pivot clips in on the L phone cracked and fell apart. I had never even tried to take them apart either. So I took them back and got a replacement...but then... there was a problem with the replacements. The drivers were imbalanced. The L phone was noticebly quieter...so I had to take them back. The third pair... seems to be ok...lets hope. Any other cheapies I probably would have just returned them and moved on.. but these do sound great! To bad they are eysores!

Might be adviseable not to buy them from an e-tailer in case you need to take them back if your first pair isn't quite right. I purchased mine at bestbuy for $19.99

One more thing as to the drivers being exactly the same... I don't think they are. Someone else reported that the plastic color of the diaphram is different betweent the Ksc35's and the ksc50's. Maybe from different source maybe better... I don't think they'd change to something worse... you never know. I don't have the ksc35's so I couldn't give in a personal test. The Ksc50's as well haveing completely different design asside from the drivers has to have affected the sound to some degree. I think they sound great so hopefully it was for the better.

Dec 11, 2002 at 8:58 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by hawkeye128
One more thing as to the drivers being exactly the same... I don't think they are. Someone else reported that the plastic color of the diaphram is different betweent the Ksc35's and the ksc50's. Maybe from different source maybe better... I don't think they'd change to something worse... you never know.

I've taken them apart -- the material is exactly the same; the only difference is the color of the plastic, which appears to be just that: color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back