KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Jul 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #1,036 of 4,052
Why don't you make/purchase a rca patch cord with rca socket to 2 rca plugs.

play the one channel into both channels of the amp to get the sound centred.

then remove the patch cord and you should have the sound balanced - at least for that volume level.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #1,037 of 4,052
Quote:

And that will drive the price up by $300
biggrin.gif

Then 300 is the price I will pay for better sound~~~~~~
I mean my HDVD800 setup cost way more than these system, but I believe with a better amp, these phone can do just as good as my HD800 and provide me another sound signature that is more suitable for pop and rock~~~~~

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #1,038 of 4,052
About to trade my only bass guitar (Schecter Custom 4) for a pair of ESP 950's w/ the energizer... I'd estimate it at ~$400 right now. I'm assuming that is a fair trading price/value for one?

Anything to look out for when I'm buying them? Or...? Will warranty definitively help me out with any issues I might have, even though I'm not the first owner? That is my primary concern... along with are there any version updates to the headphones over time?

I have a Focusrite DAC w/ some microphone preamps, monitor outputs, and a 3.5mm headphone preamp... Not much else in the terms of audiophile gear at this point in time. I'd be running it from my computers USB --> Focusrite --> 3.5mm to RCA ---> EP90 amp -----> ESP950?... Think that will sound ok for now?

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #1,039 of 4,052
Quote:
Why don't you make/purchase a rca patch cord with rca socket to 2 rca plugs.

play the one channel into both channels of the amp to get the sound centred.

then remove the patch cord and you should have the sound balanced - at least for that volume level.

Well, I can, but do it every time when I use it is not that fun~~~~ (Maybe not every time I use it, but at least once a while I need to tune it.)
I think tune it using a well known simple tuning sound will be easier.
However, I do wish they have balance input and unified volume control~~~~~

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #1,040 of 4,052
Quote:
I have a Focusrite DAC w/ some microphone preamps, monitor outputs, and a 3.5mm headphone preamp... Not much else in the terms of audiophile gear at this point in time. I'd be running it from my computers USB --> Focusrite --> 3.5mm to RCA ---> EP90 amp -----> ESP950?... Think that will sound ok for now?

I imagine you'd be better off running the line out from the Focusrite into the EP90, otherwise you'll be double-amping for no real reason...

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #1,042 of 4,052
Sooo....

I had been using the ESP-950 as my primary can for about a week, and then yesterday I got severe static in the left channel (to the point that it's unusable).  I was able to discharge a bit of it, but it's still there.

frown.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #1,045 of 4,052
Proud new owner of a pair of ESP-90's! I don't have enough experience with headphones to give an objective review, but subjectively they sound very good to my ears, if a tad on the quiet end even double amp'd. The noise floor is non-existant, this is like listening to ribbon tweeters for the first time! Thank you for all the information on this thread that lead to my eventual purchase!

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #1,047 of 4,052
How much do you pay for them toomainstream?

Traded a Schecter Custom 4 bass I've had for awhile for them... bought it back when Guitar Center still would haggle with a bunch of other gear, so I'm pretty sure I paid like $370-$400 out the door on the bass new.

I can't necessarily see the clarity that everyone is raving about in electrostatic's in these, at least compared to my loudspeakers - however, I definitely can see an amazing transparency in everything. I just listened to Crystal Blue Persuasion, and dozens of nuances I'd never heard come through were popping up, spent more time listening to the reverb and effects than the actual song. Can't say I've done that in awhile! 

One side of the headband is lose enough to where one side slides freely up and down unless they are on my head - the previous owner tried disconnecting one of the drivers from the headband, and reinserted it incorrectly to the point of cross-threading... :frowning2: No issues there with function or comfort, just not perfect and I'm OCD. They were also covered in duct-tape sticky gunk, took some isopropanol to them and they look pretty new other than the pads and the one cup that was inserted into the headbands correctly... ordering new replacement earpads from Koss as well. I think it's safe to say that I'm officially a headphone convert after this listening session....

My only concern is, I have read lots of people saying that the headphones can get deafeningly loud. Now, I'm used to playing music pretty loud. However, I have E/90, my Focusrite preamp, and my computer volume, all dimed, and the headphones are not uncomfortably loud, just slightly so. The bass response also sounds like there is slight clipping on low-freq tracks at this volume, but again, it is not uncomfortably loud. I have heard louder sounds throughout the frequency range produced through my B&W's and my SOL's (don't hate) without clipping. There still is a non-existant noise floor across all volumes, crystal clear reproduction at lower volumes... Is this just the nature of the headphone? Or is there something happening here? I am certainly pleased either-way!

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #1,049 of 4,052
I'm listening to it right now... By transparency, I mean, there is no muddiness, and each instrument can be differentiated from the mix. I can hear the attack of the acoustic guitar over the trailing reverb of the vocalist and the piano, and differentiate the reverb from both the piano and the guitar. However, it lacks that surgical clarity, that crystalline digital tone of sound that I would associate with clarity, and replaces it with warmth, precision and transparency. If that makes any sense? 

edit - listening to some Django right now, and I'm thinking I might've came to my conclusion too quickly. The headphones respond very tightly across all frequency ranges - maybe my X-Art tweeters are spoiling me a bit in the high end and I'm cross-comparing two unique animals here... It does lack that crystalline chime I'm accustomed to, but it's just a different tonality, not a bad thing. Before I was more looking for an issue with the headphones, now that I'm just laying back accepting them, it really doesn't feel like anything is missing and the low freq/high freq response actually play pretty nice with eachother in terms of balance the more I listen to it... I'm also realizing I've never listened to headphones that have this flat of a response, so maybe I am not used to what I am hearing in terms of reproduction as well... Onto YouTube now, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JidTWAx9338 sounds absolutely amazing through these headphones, I can't say I've heard anything like it... I can hear the stool creaking while he's playing, tons of little background noises that never were there before... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV42mm__AI0 was pretty great as well

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #1,050 of 4,052
With electrostat's and this may not apply to some particular units, but don't play music too loud as it can cause the diaphragm sandwiched between the stators to stick to oneside of the stator and cause an arc. This has happened before to a unit I purchased on ebay. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back