KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Dec 12, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #4,036 of 4,052
So Ifi released the Phantom:
https://ifi-audio.com/products/ican-phantom/

I've been debating getting a modded Stax amp to run my 95X plus then I can jump into Stax which I currently don't own any.

However the iCan Phantom also runs electrostats. It appears to be the ultimate end game amp.

Rather then buy a modded Stax amp the Phantom seems to deliver more power then any Stax amp ever made.

I guess due to the cost reviews seem to be scant. Has anyone in this thread plugged their 950/95X into a Phantom?
Just remember that the Phantom is transformer based. In that sense it is similar to using an SRD-7 Mk II or pro. They both offer flexibility in different ways. The phantom offers a plethora of bias options, while the SRD offers amp flexibility. For use with the ESP950, you need an SRD with a pro bias such as the SRD-7 Mk II or the pro version. And with any of these options, you need an adapter to fit the Koss to the Stax plug.

Dec 12, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #4,037 of 4,052
Just remember that the Phantom is transformer based. In that sense it is similar to using an SRD-7 Mk II or pro. They both offer flexibility in different ways. The phantom offers a plethora of bias options, while the SRD offers amp flexibility. For use with the ESP950, you need an SRD with a pro bias such as the SRD-7 Mk II or the pro version. And with any of these options, you need an adapter to fit the Koss to the Stax plug.

I have the cable in the mail.........but still no Stax energizer lol. I keep changing my mind over and over. I prefer solid state to tube and then I am debating if it makes more sense to get an "end game" unit right now or get something more entry level. I'm not sure of my abilities to hear massive differences in amps.

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #4,038 of 4,052
Just an fyi when everyone says Stax can be less expensive than a Koss setup point out they are now wrong. Stax has discontinued their SRM-252 and the next 2 up price are the D10 at about $700-$1000 and the SRM-T400 (SRM-353 replacement) and they seem to be priced around $1000. The D10 is a rechargeable unit with a built in DAC. They even have discontinued the SR 002 portable amp and iem’s, but the SR-003 iem is still available at $210 or more.

Dec 14, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #4,039 of 4,052
Just an fyi when everyone says Stax can be less expensive than a Koss setup point out they are now wrong. Stax has discontinued their SRM-252 and the next 2 up price are the D10 at about $700-$1000 and the SRM-T400 (SRM-353 replacement) and they seem to be priced around $1000. The D10 is a rechargeable unit with a built in DAC. They even have discontinued the SR 002 portable amp and iem’s, but the SR-003 iem is still available at $210 or more.

I think Stax has gone bankrupt twice?....imagine if to get into Nintendo you had to buy a voltage transformer to plug it into the wall, or pay $1,000+ just for entry level stuff. I don't get their business strategy at all.

Dec 21, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #4,040 of 4,052
My Stax SRM-T1S(no mods) got here today. I got in the adapter cable last week.

I knew the Stax amps drove the 95X better then the box the come with but holy crap I didn't think it would be that much of a difference. I barely have to turn the volume knob to get to a good listening volume, my RME ADI-2 DAC isn't turned up high at all.

One thing that is lost in the transition is some of the "ghostly" character of the 95X, the T1S is a tube amp, and they are known to have high levels of distortion, maybe that has something to do with it?

When I use the presets with Equalizer APO the 95X comes off as crazy bass heavy, I assume because the presets were made with measurements coming from the Koss energizer which has that filter of frequencies below 200hz. I've been listening with no Equalizer APO preset and just dialed in +3 db bass on the RME ADI-2.

I'm glad I went with an "entry level" Stax amp first so I have something to compare if I upgrade down the road.

Dec 21, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #4,041 of 4,052
Actually, the T1 is a hybrid, with solid state in all stages except the output. And the high levels of distortion in "tube amps" is as much myth as reality. In fact, the T1 is specified to have 0.02% distortion at 100V RMS which is a very loud level, and well below the consensus level of audible distortion, which is about 0.1%.

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #4,042 of 4,052
Actually, the T1 is a hybrid, with solid state in all stages except the output. And the high levels of distortion in "tube amps" is as much myth as reality. In fact, the T1 is specified to have 0.02% distortion at 100V RMS which is a very loud level, and well below the consensus level of audible distortion, which is about 0.1%.

I'd disagree with that but I'm also not in the mood to argue.

Years ago I ordered a tube DAC and it was the worst sounding piece of gear I've ever purchased in this hobby, I quickly resold it...................when one of those companies products was measured it was so bad that it was on the bottom of a list of 400+ products, so bad in fact it only reproduced 8-bits distortion free. About what I expected.

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #4,043 of 4,052
Just joined the ESP/950 gang via a pair of 95x I bought locally, in good condition complete with original box. I had previously bought a cheap Stax normal bias extension cable to cannibalize its pro bias 5-pin plug, and used it today to reterminate the Koss extension cable.

Plugged the 950 in my Stax SRM-313 and I have to say it's my favourite of all the pro bias phones I owned or heard (L-300, Gamma pro, Lambda Pro, Nova Basic). Yes its tonal balance is slightly lean and soundstage is not as deep or wide as I'd like, but they are very likeable for my tastes with enough bass and non-disturbing treble.

All in all a very nice experience so far, just ordered Yaxi pads as I'm curious to try pad rolling. Pic of my 95x and the extension cable plugged into my Stax amp.

1703434801307.png

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #4,044 of 4,052
Anyone know where I can get my Stax SRM-T1 serviced?
I love(d) this amp, but it's not currently working.
I'd love to get it up and running again.

Dec 26, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #4,045 of 4,052
Anyone know where I can get my Stax SRM-T1 serviced?
I love(d) this amp, but it's not currently working.
I'd love to get it up and running again.
Check for a local electronics service centers. Any competent tech should be able to fix it. I am guessing that the fuse and tubes are ok? I also will ask if you are using the correct voltage, as some people have purchased them from Japan and tried using them on 120v in the US, they work for a while and I am guessing the transformer burns out or ic’s burn out.

Dec 26, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #4,046 of 4,052
Check for a local electronics service centers. Any competent tech should be able to fix it. I am guessing that the fuse and tubes are ok? I also will ask if you are using the correct voltage, as some people have purchased them from Japan and tried using them on 120v in the US, they work for a while and I am guessing the transformer burns out or ic’s burn out.
Thanks - I am using correct voltage. The Fuse and tubes are fine. I'll check around for a tech Bryan

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #4,047 of 4,052
I've never jumped on the Stax train because I can never decide on what amp to get. I was close to dropping $4,000+ on a nice Stax set and a modded Stax amp but waited too long and they got sold to someone else. I had an Arya Organic coming in the mail and waited to play around with that first. Been on the fence with Stax for almost 20 years now lol
Go with a modded Stax amp and a Koss to Stax adapter from Mjolnir Audio. The ESP95X really come alive with more power and the Sr006t modded amp I have also works great with my SR007.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #4,048 of 4,052
Go with a modded Stax amp and a Koss to Stax adapter from Mjolnir Audio. The ESP95X really come alive with more power and the Sr006t modded amp I have also works great with my SR007.

I ended up getting a Stax T1S, and then the Stax 717 as according to the Internet the 717 is the best amp Stax ever made. Then out of curiosity I got the Topping electrostatic amp as well.

They all sound good.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #4,049 of 4,052
I most often use my ESP950 with a Stax adapter and the Stax SRD/7 Pro. This way I can try many amps with them. I also use a Stax SRM-212 sometimes.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #4,050 of 4,052
SRM-1 MK2 p/p from Mjolnir + the Stax -> Koss adapter (also Mjolnir) sounds really nice. I've added a preamp into the chain with some orange opamps which spread the soundstage out, cut some upper midrange harshness and add a bit of bass which the ESP is lacking.
I have also subed out my usual USB cable for the Cardas Clear (pure copper) which adds some nice extra warmth and richness to the bass. Sounds very smooth and rich through this setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back