KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Mar 21, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #3,962 of 4,052
Hello. I am a new owner of ESP950. I am curious if I have to unplug the headphone cable from e/90 when I am done listening for the day. Does anyone do this ?
There is no need to unplug the 950/95X headphone cable from the energiser unless you want to pack up the system.

Mar 22, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #3,963 of 4,052
Hello. I am a new owner of ESP950. I am curious if I have to unplug the headphone cable from e/90 when I am done listening for the day. Does anyone do this ?
it's a good idea to cover the headset so dust doesn't get into it. This is particular problem with these headphones. I use a hair cap from a hotel I picked up on a trip. A hand towel or anything that covers the headset will do.

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #3,965 of 4,052
for the most part, dust falls down (due to something the scientists call gravity - which I cannot see, therefore it probably doesn't exist). Just cover the whole headset when not using it.

IMG_1960.JPG

Apr 14, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #3,966 of 4,052
For those still on the hunt to find the best setup for your 950 / 95X, here is what I've settled on for now:

1.jpg

This is the Soekris 1421 DAC pumping signal into a Gustard P26 Preamp, with the Burson Classic opamps.
Underneath the Koss energiser is a 9V / 2.5a Linear Power Supply.
Earpads are from Dekoni, nice thick leather (unlike some flimsy Focal earpads I've purchased from there). Be sure to give these earpads some conditioner to soften them up.

In terms of changes of sound:
1) The earpads. Lately giving the Koss headphones a second lease on life, I thought they were hazy in the midrange, boring, with a weird bass hump but also lack of sub-bass.
The earpads make the low end much more linear and clean, cutting the bass hump while also increasing the sub-bass. They cut that hazy area in the 1-2Khz range, and as a result highlight the low treble region much more and overall increase the tonal balance of the 95X.

2) The source: a good source shows what electrostats can do. I had been feeding signal from my OTL amp, the 95X was still agile and speedy in transients, but also a little hazy and grainy. Feeding them signal from this beefy class A preamp shows off their lightning fast transients while making the sound as transparent as these headphones are capable of. The Classic opamps from Burson add a touch of tube warmth, I prefer angling these headphones to the warm side of neutral as that's what they do best.
I had experimented with the stock 95X earpads and a tube preamp, the Dekoni pads and solid state preamp combination is the more transparent and resolving overall, though.

3) The Linear Power Supply: supplied immediate power to the energiser, fleshing out the low end and midrange, maybe adding some sparkle to the top end also.

The headphone stand from Grump Goose serves no purpose other than to hold the headphones for me on those inconvenient occasions when I'm not listening to music! :darthsmile:

In honesty, my LCD-X has a more honest tonal balance, the snare drum sound just right for example. But the 95X is probably the king of warm, relaxing sound for me. The tonal balance is maybe 85% of something more reference like the LCD-X, whereas in stock form it would be 50%.

Next on the list of mods? A new amp for sure! Would have to be the Stax SRM-400S, and the Microzotl Z10E. Also Vesper pads, they would have to be perforated leather like Dekoni for the tonal balance that the Dekoni achieves.

2.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #3,967 of 4,052
Does anyone know if there is any electrical difference between the rca and 3.5mm jack on the E90? One of my dacs supports a balanced connection (with a claimed lower noise level) but I'd have to convert from 4.4mm to RCA and I'm unsure if it's worth the hassle.

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #3,968 of 4,052
Careful, balanced connections are NOT compatible with single ended ones, and the Koss energizer doens not have any balanced input.

Unless you're saying that the convertion is not only physical but also electrical (from 4,4mm balanced to single ended stereo RCA), I would advice against your idea.

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #3,969 of 4,052
Careful, balanced connections are NOT compatible with single ended ones, and the Koss energizer doens not have any balanced input.

Unless you're saying that the convertion is not only physical but also electrical (from 4,4mm balanced to single ended stereo RCA), I would advice against your idea.
What I was asking basically is if the RCA connectors on the E90 are a shared common ground or not. If so, then yes I will not try this.

Thanks!

Jun 6, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #3,970 of 4,052
Jun 8, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #3,971 of 4,052
I know this is a very old post, but how well did this end up working? I have several PD adapters, and if I could replace the massive Koss 9v wallwart with a much smaller PD power adapter and one of these, well, I might just do it!
It worked out great! No discernable difference.

Jul 1, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #3,972 of 4,052
I know this is a very old post, but how well did this end up working? I have several PD adapters, and if I could replace the massive Koss 9v wallwart with a much smaller PD power adapter and one of these, well, I might just do it!
Is there a USB adapter version of this? Maybe I can plug it in my iPhone charger.

Jul 2, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #3,975 of 4,052
Anyone feeding tube amp to e/90 ? It's awesome. In combination with low end EQ, ESP950 gives me warmer, denser sound.
Yep! Ultimately I preferred the solid state Gustard P26 with Burson opamps as it does not reduce the speed and transients of the 95X. My tube amp is being modified currently but I will for sure give it a spin with the E/90 when I have the chance.

Here are some uncompleteted notes of what pairings I have tried:
Koss ESP/95x:
Gustard P26:
Burson V6 Classic = Intimate soundstage with fast transients. A little too warm for a realistic presentation (with stock earpads) but does fill in the hollowness of the 95x's midrange. Female vocals are a little too boosted in the low midrange.
With Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin earpads, sounds more realistic and tonally accurate. Incredibly fast transients and smooth, natural treble. Bass lines are articulate and the midrange is rich and buttery. Timbre is incredibly realistic unlike with the stock earpads.
Burson V6 Vivid =
LF339i:
5693 + 6080WB (warm) = Defined low end, slightly elevated lower midrange and a hazy quality to upper midrange and treble. Soundstage slightly narrows, giving instruments a more focused image.
5693 + 6H13C (warm) = Warm, rounded and slightly rolled off low end. Rich midrange with fast transients. Rolled off upper midrange and treble. Classic tube tone.
5693 + 7236 (warm-neutral) = Clean upper midrange, slightly rolled off treble. Powerful and extended low end. Warm, rich lower midrange.
6SJ7GT mesh + 6080WB (warm-neutral) = Wide, holographic presentation. Thick, textured low end. Slightly laid back treble with sparkling extension. Very non-fatiguing sound profile.
6SJ7WGT + 6AS7GA (warm-neutral) = smooth profile with detail and dynamics. Clean, powerful low end, mellow midrange and rounded top end.
6SJ7WGT (RCA) + 6080WB (warm-neutral) = Punchy and textured bass, clean prominent mids and slightly muted treble. Holographic presentation. Dynamic and versatile combination.
6SJ7WGT (Sylvania) + 6080WB (warm-neutral) = Cavernous and textured bass, clean midrange and detailed, linear treble. Slightly strident and sibilant at times.
6SJ7GT mesh + 6H13C (warm-neutral) = Detailed with a rich, rounded low end.
6SJ7GT mesh + 7236 (neutral-warm) = Slamming and extended low-end, the natural midrange elevates the hollow tone of the 95X and mostly retains its treble extension. Slightly more relaxed transients balanced out with the electrostatic ultra-fast presentation.

I liked the warm-neutral and neutral-warm tube pairings over the warm and mellow tubes, but I preferred the Gustard P26 quite a bit more than any of the tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back