KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Jan 28, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #3,648 of 4,054
I've been wanting to type up a description of the Dekoni versus Vesper pads for a while now - but I've been going back and forth from week to week to confirm what I was hearing. When I went home for Thanksgiving, I decided to reset my expectations since I couldn't bring my Koss with me. Based on Amish's description, I ended up deciding to order the Vesper pads in a different format from the Dekoni pads. In the meantime, my defective Dekoni pads were finally replaced. To make a long story short - I've been surprised how much of a difference these pads make on Open cans - the sound changes a lot for such a small surface area.

I think I previously mentioned my Dekoni pads came in defective, the flap on one side was sewn in wrong. I contacted Dekoni and they mailed me a replacement - to the wrong address. I contacted them again, and got a second pair shipped - and they finally arrived by the time I came home from Thanksgiving.

The Dekoni pads are 15mm thick (like the original) fenestrated sheepskin. Even after that defect, someone put it in my head that the surface that contacts my face is not exactly flat. To make a long story short - the Vesper pads would have the same "imperfection". To have two different types of pads, and because I'd been enjoying the Stax L300 - despite their 10mm original pads - I ordered the second pair angled from Vesper. Angled from 10mm in the front, to 15mm in the back, bringing the Koss drivers closer to my ears. Solid black leather.

The Dekoni pads boost the treble a lot, I feel it's not so much extension (because my hearing's not good past 16K) - but quantity. Cymbals in particular are louder and more forward. I originally mentioned the Dekoni's were sibilant, but no - they're borderline sibilant, I never found myself really wincing or changing the volume. Originally - I thought this was the one area I'd like more of out of the Koss vs my Stax - more treble quantity. But in reality - I'd like more airiness - that perhaps my ears can't adequately hear. The Stax have more air, but they're also "peaky", nearly shrill at times. The Dekoni pads make my Koss feel really balanced, but borderline bright.

The Vesper pads - at first I thought I wasted my money for little difference or improvement. Then I realized I was having trouble getting a seal due to the 10mm front, and the fact that the Koss don't really hinge that way. So I focused on getting the Koss really vertical to seal. The result was impressive. Bass became impressive in quantity and quality. I'd already previously measured through a tone generator that I could hear down to 20 hz on the Koss. I don't have much "bassy" music - but a couple random tracks hit really hard, to the point where I had to drop the volume due to the bass being overpowering. I've never had to do that with other pads. Overall - the sound signature turned really dark and forward. The mids became more intimate and detailed, which was my idea behind the 10mm angled. With my "gateway drug" Sony MDR V6 - getting thicker more comfortable pads destroyed the sound. With the Koss - the only issues are that Treble quantity takes a further step back, and the soundstage gets (not surprisingly) smaller.

I'm still not sure which I prefer - and in a moment I'll provide a good picture comparing the two pads. I can recommend both based on what you're looking to improve. The Dekoni were $65 shipped through Drop, and the Vesper were $75 shipped by contacting Vesper directly. Based purely on my qualitative expectations:

Dekoni pads: Bass - 8/10, Mids 8/10, Treble 8/10

Vesper pads: Bass - 9/10, Mids 9/10, Treble 7/10

I'm going to enjoy rolling pads back and forth. I don't regret either purchase. I just have to keep convincing myself that I don't need to try a version of the Vesper pads fenestrated . . . because having a third pair of expensive pads for one headphone seems nuts.

Jan 28, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #3,649 of 4,054
20200111_095808.jpg

Jan 28, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #3,650 of 4,054
This is the forward side of the headphones - Dekoni on the left (fenestrated), Vesper on the right. I'd have to say the standard leather quality of the Vesper is a little better than the Dekoni sheepskin. But since the Dekoni are fenestrated, I don't think it matters much if at all on the comfort , seal or looks front. Depending on what you're looking to get out of the pads - both are good options. The Vesper took about a month to get to me from the time I ordered on Thanksgiving, but they were worth the wait. Thank you Amish for the recommendation.

It just occured to me, while the comparison between the pads should be the same for anyone - overall qualitative assessment (bass especially) may differ to you, based on the source. I found dynamics improved a great deal going to my Stax SRM 717 amp. I did all my listening back and forth on that amp.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #3,651 of 4,054
Vesper pads are likely my next and last 'mod' for these headphones (I'll get around to getting a couple pairs at some point). I can't justify getting a new amp for the 95X.

One weak point is the dynamics (heh) of this electrostat. The difference between loud and quiet in a single song is lessened compared to, say, the Elex.

Does a good amp help with the Koss' dynamic properties? I was looking at a Linear Tube Audio e-stat amp / dynamic amp two-in-one, but it's double the price of a regular LTA headphone amp / preamp unit.

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #3,652 of 4,054
Vesper pads are likely my next and last 'mod' for these headphones (I'll get around to getting a couple pairs at some point). I can't justify getting a new amp for the 95X.

One weak point is the dynamics (heh) of this electrostat. The difference between loud and quiet in a single song is lessened compared to, say, the Elex.

Does a good amp help with the Koss' dynamic properties? I was looking at a Linear Tube Audio e-stat amp / dynamic amp two-in-one, but it's double the price of a regular LTA headphone amp / preamp unit.

The amp definitely helps the dynamics, no doubt, but its not a night and day difference. I find it hard to recommend people spend as much money as I did on my amp, $750 used (I stupidly overpaid). But I've had fun trying Stax phones too.

Funny you should mention the elex. I almost impulse bought an elear last weekend, but backed out. When you listen to the Elex after the Koss, do you miss the detail and speed? Or can the Elex keep up?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #3,653 of 4,054
I love my Vesper pads. I'd not use the Koss without them. Made a big difference to me for sure. Not to mention the extra comfort. I find the Koss a good general use headphone and for the price and real bang for the buck. When i want to get serious about music listening though I do take them off and put my Stax on. Other than that though I have the Koss sitting on my head more than any other headphone I own.

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #3,654 of 4,054
The amp definitely helps the dynamics, no doubt, but its not a night and day difference. I find it hard to recommend people spend as much money as I did on my amp, $750 used (I stupidly overpaid). But I've had fun trying Stax phones too.

Funny you should mention the elex. I almost impulse bought an elear last weekend, but backed out. When you listen to the Elex after the Koss, do you miss the detail and speed? Or can the Elex keep up?

The Elex is technically superior, on dynamic control and speed {edit - and detail}. The Koss 95X has a unique soundstage due to its large vertical earcups and drivers. Sounds very spacious and .. yeah, unique.

Thanks for the response, I'm going to stick with the default energiser + Linear Power Supply.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #3,655 of 4,054

I own both so I thought I would add my 2 cents.
The Elex is more dynamic and has better bass with more body. It also has more treble but I would have to do a critical A/B session to determine if it's better quality/more detailed. I find my ESP/95X to be faster, cleaner (thanks to that Estats driver), wider soundstage, and more laid back but retains tons of detail.

The ESP/95X is much more "effortless" and the Elex demands your attention more.

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #3,656 of 4,054
Can anyone help me? My termination seems to be upside down. I’m having to twist the connection to fix the plug in to the energiser. Please see the attached pic.

Attachments

• 80C6D21C-4E14-43DE-91E0-42AFA60DB024.jpeg
    80C6D21C-4E14-43DE-91E0-42AFA60DB024.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jan 29, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #3,658 of 4,054
Can anyone help me? My termination seems to be upside down. I’m having to twist the connection to fix the plug in to the energiser. Please see the attached pic.
I'm not sure I understand what "upside down termination" means. Looking at your image your plug looks the same as mine. The the Koss logo and the wires with the dashed and solid lines face up when it's plugged in. Could you elaborate on your issue more?

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #3,659 of 4,054
I'm not sure I understand what "upside down termination" means. Looking at your image your plug looks the same as mine. The the Koss logo and the wires with the dashed and solid lines face up when it's plugged in. Could you elaborate on your issue more?

Sure sorry, you see those dotted and solid lines? They are the underside of the cable if you follow it from the cans down to the plug, but to actually plug it in you have to turn it upside down to affix it in causing a twist in the cable, not nice for my OCD if this is the design? I'm so OCD I might just get a stax 353x cos of this dont laugh.

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #3,660 of 4,054
Sure sorry, you see those dotted and solid lines? They are the underside of the cable if you follow it from the cans down to the plug, but to actually plug it in you have to turn it upside down to affix it in causing a twist in the cable, not nice for my OCD if this is the design? I'm so OCD I might just get a stax 353x cos of this dont laugh.
Okay, I see. Seems to be two possible reasons why this would happen. The good news is that think this is fixable. If I understand correctly when you are wearing the headphones, facing the energizer, after the Y split in the cable, you have to turn the cable over to plug it in, resulting in a twist in the cable? Mine doesn't have any twists when wear them like this.

Option 1:
You are wearing the headphones backwards, which I doubt.

Option 2:
I think this might be caused because of identical twists in the cable above the Y split on both sides. This can be fixed, I think, by disconnecting both cups from the headband and untwisting them until you can plug them in without a twist.

Otherwise, I don't think the headphones would work because of how they are wired. On my set the wire with the dashed line is closest to the back (in relation when you are wearing them) of the L cup, facing out. The solid line wire, however, is on the front of the R cup, facing inside. Does that make sense? I hope this helps. Let me know.
15803499033111272048218904100229.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back