KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Dec 31, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #2,386 of 4,052
  Just got these, how does everyone usually adjust the seperate channels when listening to them?

You can tape them together.

Or, I turned them all the way down to make sure they're lined up. Then I put a piece of white tape on both knobs so the pieces of tape are lined up.
This way I can see more easily if the two knobs are aligned.

Jan 1, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #2,388 of 4,052
Just got these, how does everyone usually adjust the seperate channels when listening to them?

I try to balance the volume between left and right. I find that if one is louder than the other, I spin in my chair.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #2,389 of 4,052
Got a used pair koss esp950 for $453 used

Think it was a good price?

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #2,390 of 4,052
Sounds like a great price to me, as the best new price is generally in the $600-700 range.'
Enjoy it!

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #2,391 of 4,052
Sounds like a great price to me, as the best new price is generally in the $600-700 range.'
Enjoy it!

Yeah i hope i enjoy it! The description on the headphone says there was squealing problem but disappeared after few months. Is this a common issue?

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #2,392 of 4,052
Oh boy, they're finally here! I'm typing this as I open the box!

The first thing that stands out to me is that the bag is pretty small. I was expecting it to be a pain to carry around but this is quite portable. I also think that the build quality is actually pretty nice, but then again, this is generally a $1000 headphone. I'm a little worried about the headband mechanism, which seems like it can wear down over time. I also don't like the power supply, especially how it sticks out of the back of the unit. Oh well, time to listen!

....I don't hear anything. Brb.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #2,393 of 4,052
The headband will wear down. Likely it stays in the position you set it to :D

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #2,394 of 4,052
I never extend my headbands so maybe I will be ok regardless.

I shouldn't judge the ESP-950's just yet since electrostatic amps supposedly need to charge up for a relatively long time, and my E/90 was shipped with the power switch set to on. But so far, its safe to say that it beats out the K701 in everything except MAYBE soundstage. Some of the details it brings out are a bit...interesting. I could've swore I was hearing individual people cheering in the crowd!

I still need to wait and see if other aspects improve further.

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #2,395 of 4,052
Keep us posted :] Don't expect the soundstage to be better than the K702. Probably won't happen :D

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #2,396 of 4,052

And 100 volts can kill you, too. It's the current, not the voltage. 20 ma can stop your heart. Electrotatic headphones have resistors in series with the diaphragm to limit the current, so you can't be killed by that, just painfully shocked. Most amps can't swing enough current on the output to kill you, either. So in general, even if you do something really, really stupid with a pairof electrostatic headphones, short of touching the high voltage rail in the amp, you can't be killed by them.

Crap, I had actually written about the current but somehow I deleted that sentence. Although I could've swore that 100mA was the lower threshold for death.

I would assume the opposite. Worn out pads indicate lots of use, which would imply the headphones work really well.

Just to point out: the pads for the ESP/950 aren't the most durable pads I've seen (to put it nicely) - they're easy to damage (and thankfully cheap to replace). So if they're worn out, that by itself shouldn't indicate the pair have been abused - if the headband or other parts of the headphone are in rough shape that's another story, however.

That seems to be the case. Other than some popping sound (probably these old earpads), it seems fine so far.

Should we be keeping an eye on you? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Lol I didn't even notice that!

FYI on voltage. Voltage is just the differential of an electric current. Amps on the other hand is the amount of an electric current. Believe it or not, a low amperage can kill you very easy, where as a higher current, which can also kill you, but will result in burning of the flesh. Lower amperage will disrupt the heart. Also note, current follows the path of least resistance. If you are not grounded, and you touch a current source, most likely (but not always) it will follow what ever has the least resistance to a ground source. If you or nothing else is a ground source, no current passes. It is always interesting when they state in a movie or novel that it was 50,000 volts that killed a condemned person in the electric chair, that really is only half the info. How much amperage is the more critical issue. You may have seen as a child a Van De Graff generator, where when some one touches the top part, their hair raises up. 

My boss was explaining this to me one day when we were working on UPS's. There's still so much I don't understand about electricity, even though I've been exposed to it in school quite a bit.

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2,397 of 4,052
  You can tape them together.

Or, I turned them all the way down to make sure they're lined up. Then I put a piece of white tape on both knobs so the pieces of tape are lined up.
This way I can see more easily if the two knobs are aligned.

Both of my knobs adjust simultaneously and I noticed some hex screws within the knobs. It may be possible to find the sweet spot and then tighten these so that they always adjust together. Haven't tried it myself though.

Quote:
Yeah i hope i enjoy it! The description on the headphone says there was squealing problem but disappeared after few months. Is this a common issue?

The squealing is common apparently, although I haven't heard of it disappearing over time. By the way, I paid about $510 for my ESP-950 set. Its safe to say you got a bargain!

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #2,398 of 4,052

The squealing is common apparently, although I haven't heard of it disappearing over time. By the way, I paid about $510 for my ESP-950 set. Its safe to say you got a bargain!

I had the 950's for some years and was exposed to the squeal. The problem turned out to be inside the earcup.   The cable from the driver unit doubled back too close to the post where the cable was soldered to the driver unit.  Some of the charge traveled down the outside of the cable.  You could actually see the little sparks in the dark. I ultimately managed to pull the cable a few mm away and that solved the problem.  

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,399 of 4,052
Just got my Stax SRM-1 MK2 in and the plug came yesterday so should have it up and going tonight : )
Thanks to all for the help on the pinout of the connectors especially darinf for the buke9 proof pic.

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #2,400 of 4,052
Oh boy, they're finally here! I'm typing this as I open the box!

The first thing that stands out to me is that the bag is pretty small. I was expecting it to be a pain to carry around but this is quite portable. I also think that the build quality is actually pretty nice, but then again, this is generally a $1000 headphone. I'm a little worried about the headband mechanism, which seems like it can wear down over time. I also don't like the power supply, especially how it sticks out of the back of the unit. Oh well, time to listen!

....I don't hear anything. Brb.

The "squealing" can be the result of numerous things - the simplest is usually just dust, give them a gentle "thump" and it may go away. It can also be indicative of problems with the headphone or the amplifier, especially if its very loud and persistent. :xf_eek:

The headband does not "lock" into any sizing - it just slides to place. If it breaks, there's no need to worry - just call Koss and get it replaced. :)

I never extend my headbands

Why? Is your head really that small?

I've seen people on the train wearing headphones like this - the headband at its smallest size, and the cups are set absolutely wrong on their ears (way too high). I've never understood it - it hurts the sound and I can't imagine its comfortable. I certainly understand if you have a smaller head and need the smallest sizing, but I've never understood "no matter what, this isn't getting extended." I don't think it will harm anything on the 950s either, but again, lifetime warranty. :p

I shouldn't judge the ESP-950's just yet since electrostatic amps supposedly need to charge up for a relatively long time, and my E/90 was shipped with the power switch set to on.

I have never, ever, heard this claim made. Either from a manufacturer (e.g. Koss, MartinLogan, etc) or even in glossy mags. There's no "burn in" that needs to take place here - its at full voltage bias when the light turns green and you're good to go (if you watch very closely the light will go red and then cycle to green on power-up).

But so far, its safe to say that it beats out the K701 in everything except MAYBE soundstage. Some of the details it brings out are a bit...interesting. I could've swore I was hearing individual people cheering in the crowd!

IMHO the ESP/950 walk all over the K701, with the only exception being that the K701 have that gigantic (and in some cases artificially so) soundstage, which nothing will replicate. But the 950s do a better job presenting a 3D image, even if it can't go quite "out" as far as the K701, it can come "in" a lot closer and more accurately. This isn't to say the K701 are a bad headphone by any means - they're around half the price and don't require a specialized amplifier, and it really takes something like the ESP/950 to beat them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back