KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Jun 11, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #1,817 of 4,052
  Electrostatics don't pair differently with DACs?

Not in my opinion.  The stats just present the sound they are given, just like any other headphone.  If you don't like a dac, its probably because you don't like the dac, not because it doesn't pair well with stats.  you just need a good dac, period.

I'm just saying that grouping all stats together doesn't work.  the stax lambda is different then the koss 950, which is different then king sound, etc. you have to look at each headphone individually.

You wouldnt ask what dac works well with dynamic cans, would you?

I may have missed it, but are you asking what dac everyone likes with the 950 specifically? 

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #1,819 of 4,052
Yeah, you just want a good quality DAC.  Researching in some of the DAC threads would help you more.  I'll recommend the ifi Nano dsd dac as something to consider though.  I've been using it for a couple weeks, and i'm fairly impressed.  only around $200.  lots of people talking about it in the going digital thread.

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #1,823 of 4,052
Does anyone have the stax / koss pinout diagram for making the adapter cable? I tried the wiki.faust3d.com link towards the beginning of this thread but the link is dead now. Funny thing is that it worked for me a week ago.

Thanks.

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #1,824 of 4,052
Does anyone have the stax / koss pinout diagram for making the adapter cable? I tried the wiki.faust3d.com link towards the beginning of this thread but the link is dead now. Funny thing is that it worked for me a week ago.

Thanks.

Here you go:

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #1,826 of 4,052
Thanks! That diagram shows the HE-60. The colors are the same on the Koss plug?

The colors are just there on the drawing for clarity to make it easier match colors rather than letters and symbols.

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #1,827 of 4,052
Here are a couple more pictures to make it more clear (hopefully not more confusing):

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #1,828 of 4,052

There's a list of the pinouts for most headphone connectors on Head-Fi.

For whatever it's worth, according to my notes when I made an adaptor a few weeks ago, the colors of the wires on the Koss extension cable are:

Wire colorCable markingElectricalStax pin
WhiteWhite dashL+3
Orange bias1
Yellow L-4
Green R-5
Orange bias1
RedWhite solidR+2

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #1,829 of 4,052
  Does anyone have DAC suggestions for electrostatics?

I recently discovered that I'm actually sensitive to DACs...

AK4396 in an X-Fi USB HD makes my ears hurt after 10 mins, even at very low volume.  Maybe it's too harsh?  (Google shows some comments about how it was famous for that)

Cheap CS4382 DACs in the creative soundcards didn't have that effect, although they're still cheap DACs.

The WM8741 in a Fiio E10 was quite nice and was much sharper than the CS4382 without giving me fatigue.

I'm trying out cheap ones right now, but I'm gunning for somewhere around $500, so a used Gungnir or a super Bifrost (When they release the multi-bit capability) has my attention.

For now I'm messing with sub $100 DACs just so I can get a feel for the actual chips (Got a Sabre 9023 coming to listen to), fishing for a BB PCM1793 platform (like the Aune T1)

Personally, I use Centrance DACport LX (the version w/o the amp) with my Koss (at work) and I don't feel fatigue at all. I think the LX is an excellent overall DAC, although it is certainly north of $100 ($250 list, althoughI have seen it for around 200).

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #1,830 of 4,052
I like the wm8742 in my gamma2

.:Sent by pneumatic tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back