KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Apr 29, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #1,771 of 4,052
  LOL...here we go with the transformer.

I think that's a reasonable deal, especially if you don't have easy access to a US shipped product and they are in good shape.  You'll enjoy them.  They sound a bit thin initially when you come from certain dynamics and planars, but once you live with them, they will grow on you and you'll likely enjoy all the detail that you read about here.  Super comfortable too, although they are a bit cheezy with all the plastic.  I like mine.

HS

That's the problem, of sort, I have so many cans, and I rotate them from time to time, I'm afraid I don't give myself enough time to adjust to the sound. Even if I were to make it my main audio rig for a few months, the 'problem' is that I have a couple of other setups available to me so I'd prolly be using them as well. Though admittedly, I'm sort of good with all sorts of sound signatures, as long as it's something that isn't too veiled, or too bass heavy, I'm fine with it, hence my ever expanding collection.

May 3, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #1,772 of 4,052
It is a perfectly reasonable observation, mikey.  I am getting to the point that I am narrowing what I will keep to the stuff that sounds best to me.  I am in the process of downsizing to a core of the cans and supporting kit that is badassedness to my ears.  One pair of closed dynamics for my serious station and maybe a few pair of opens.  E-stats are definitely in the equation.  The KGST amp will be with me for a long time to come.  The ESP's are at their full potential with it.  The SR-007A's kinds hosed me for keeping the ESP's though....  I think I'll be punting the Koss I'm sad to report.

HS

May 3, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #1,773 of 4,052
There's a price drop on Amazon: $700 from both Amazon and World Wide Stereo. WWS is slightly cheaper and, depending on the state you live in, won't charge sales tax and also ship Prime. Amazon Warehouse has a few used units for $600. Those aren't refurbs, just returns, so there's more of a risk of buying somebody else's problems.

Not record-setting prices. But since things have been hovering around $800 for the past few months, I thought it was worth noting.

May 3, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #1,774 of 4,052
I'd say, between Amazon's amazing return/customer service policies, and Koss' lifetime warranty, the risk on the returns is pretty negligible, worth going for if you have an interest in these. When I bought my pair (not a return, Black Friday sale, I believe), I did have problems, contacted Amazon, I had a replacement from them before I had a chance to box mine for return.

May 4, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #1,775 of 4,052
I paid $150 for a used complete kit with buzz issues and sent it in for repair, got new drivers and new boards in the amp for cost of shipping. 

Just wanted to rub it in. Some have acquired them cheaper tho, 

May 4, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #1,776 of 4,052
I paid $150 for a used complete kit with buzz issues and sent it in for repair, got new drivers and new boards in the amp for cost of shipping. 

Just wanted to rub it in. Some have acquired them cheaper tho, 
That is amazing. Cheapest Ive heard.

May 4, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #1,778 of 4,052
That is amazing. Cheapest Ive heard.

Pretty sure the cheapest i heard was $56. 

I was very patient. I spent something like 9 months looking for them. Combing through craigslist and other online classifieds. iirc i bought them from a professor at some east coast university or something. Took a little convincing to make the deal happen. 

May 4, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #1,779 of 4,052
I'm not in the club yet as I've put the intended SDP 950 purchase on hold for now, not convinced >600USD is what I'm willing to pay for it. OTOH, went ahead with the Denon AH-D7k purchase and liking what I hear. The ESP 950 seller is in no rush to sell his, so I guess I'll wait and see what the future holds with regards to the ESP 950.

May 5, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #1,780 of 4,052
Having owned (and loved) the Denon 7k I can tell you that the 950's sound signature
is far different.  More detail and transparency, less bass impact.
Hibuck...

May 5, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #1,781 of 4,052

Pretty sure the cheapest i heard was $56. 

I was very patient. I spent something like 9 months looking for them. Combing through craigslist and other online classifieds. iirc i bought them from a professor at some east coast university or something. Took a little convincing to make the deal happen. 

That really is amazing.  not to be weird, but what online classifieds did you look through?  I check craigslist all the time.  

May 7, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #1,782 of 4,052
Mostly just craigslist but mr. newmark has gone out of his way to make it awkward to search a large area of craigslist at the same time. from time to time there are craigslist search engines that work but mostly it's just a matter of searching in all the major cities. pain in the butt. I understand why he did this - CL is supposed to be for local transactions. 

in canada they use kijiji. in a few regions of the USA, craigslist has local competition. utah/idaho/wyoming area, craigslist takes a back seat to KSL classifieds in a big way. Why? because they were up and running 5 years before Craig thought we rated a list. 

I don't spend a lot of time searching for headphones anymore. There are so few left that i want to own that i think i will ever be able to afford. My only far-flung search activity lately is to look at ads offering VW/Bombardier Iltis jeeps for sale. which i can't afford. 

May 7, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #1,783 of 4,052
  That really is amazing.  not to be weird, but what online classifieds did you look through?  I check craigslist all the time.  

Before headphones -- audio equipment generally -- became a big phenomenon, there was all kinds of equipment available for what we'd consider these days to be incredibly cheap.

It's not completely unheard of for equipment to go for approximately-free, but it's happening a lot less often now that everybody running a yard sale knows that there's increased public interest in audio gear, and they can always check Ebay to set their prices.

May 7, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #1,784 of 4,052
…but once you live with them, they will grow on you and you'll likely enjoy all the detail that you read about here.  Super comfortable too, although they are a bit cheezy with all the plastic.  I like mine.  
HS

Ditto :)

May 7, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #1,785 of 4,052
The SR-007A's kinds hosed me for keeping the ESP's though....  I think I'll be punting the Koss I'm sad to report.  
HS

Reasonable once you have them, but are they worth triple the price (650 vs 2000)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back