KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Mar 15, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #1,757 of 4,054
I would hope so...congratulations, enjoy! :)

Mar 15, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #1,758 of 4,054
I like the Koss ESP's and felt they needed a bit more mojo to flesh out their full potential.  Specifically, they were being held back by the E90 amp, especially towards the ends of the frequency range.  For example, I'm listening to Kenny Burrell's Mule from Midnight Blue at this ten seconds.  The KGST gives the ESP's more body when communicating the stand up bass...a more fleshed out sound.

This amp is highly revealing....allows the details to come through more so than the E90.  Interestingly, but not altogether surprising, it underscores both the strengths and the limitations of the ESP's.  I find the Koss cans more satisfying with this amp than with the E90...more substantial.  I still think the ESP/E90 combo is great value for money and pleny good for the average bear.  With the KGST I can hear the rolled off ends more so and any odd noises like hiss the ESP's generate...it's all there good and bad.

I really like these headphones.  I was listening to Larry Carlton and Robben Ford Unplugged last night with the KGST...pretty incredible.  Arctic Monkeys and Hugo Kant's Point of No Return...tasty.

HS

Apr 17, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #1,759 of 4,054
Has anyone modded their E90 to use better RCA connectors? By better, I mean non recessed so that you can fit the cable on it all the way. I modded a few CD players back in the day with some better plugs to get rid of PCB mounted ones and didn't have any issues, but I haven't cracked the E90 open yet to have a look around.

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #1,760 of 4,054
  Has anyone modded their E90 to use better RCA connectors? By better, I mean non recessed so that you can fit the cable on it all the way. I modded a few CD players back in the day with some better plugs to get rid of PCB mounted ones and didn't have any issues, but I haven't cracked the E90 open yet to have a look around.

I didn't change the RCA connectors, but I removed the back panel and enlarged the RCA clearance holes with a reamer.  Now I can use any RCA cable.  A quick and easy mod.

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,761 of 4,054
  I didn't change the RCA connectors, but I removed the back panel and enlarged the RCA clearance holes with a reamer.  Now I can use any RCA cable.  A quick and easy mod.

Ah, I like your idea better....I may need to break out the Dremel this weekend and give it a go. Thanks!

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #1,762 of 4,054
I didn't realize how minimal the contact was with Monoprice XLR to RCA cable. I used a 1/2 in. drill bit to enlarge and now have full insertion into the plug. There's an actual click when RCA is completely seated. Thanks for the tip, WilCox.

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,763 of 4,054
  I didn't realize how minimal the contact was with Monoprice XLR to RCA cable. I used a 1/2 in. drill bit to enlarge and now have full insertion into the plug. There's an actual click when RCA is completely seated. Thanks for the tip, WilCox.

Yep, Ditto. I drilled it out last weekend and now the cables go on all the way easily.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #1,764 of 4,054
I've a chance to get a six month 'old' ESP 950 at about 621USD (local $ converted to USD) available locally in my neck of the woods. I'm curious about estat since I've mag planar and dynamic cans covered......a few times over. Thought? Appreciate feedback and opinions.....TIA!
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #1,765 of 4,054
  I've a chance to get a six month 'old' ESP 950 at about 621USD (local $ converted to USD) available locally in my neck of the woods. I'm curious about estat since I've mag planar and dynamic cans covered......a few times over. Thought? Appreciate feedback and opinions.....TIA!
biggrin.gif

That's about $150 less than new here in the USA - with the amp and carry case. 

So if they come with the whole kit that might be an ok deal, assuming they are hard to get where you are. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #1,766 of 4,054
They do drop to the $6-700 range in the US from time to time, for mine from Amazon that way.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #1,767 of 4,054
They do drop to the $6-700 range in the US from time to time, for mine from Amazon that way.

I noticed that right now Amazon (US) has them for $765, and that's about the cheapest I've seen them for quite a while. I picked up mine last Cyber Monday for $600 from Koss, but I think that deal only comes around about once a year. Also, by signing up for Koss' news letter you get a discount off your first purchase, and that's usually in the 15-20% off range.

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #1,768 of 4,054

That's about $150 less than new here in the USA - with the amp and carry case. 

So if they come with the whole kit that might be an ok deal, assuming they are hard to get where you are. 

Yep, includes everything including the amp and carrying case. Also includes a transformer that he tells me adds body to the sound.....I went 
confused.gif
, really?

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #1,769 of 4,054
LOL...here we go with the transformer.

I think that's a reasonable deal, especially if you don't have easy access to a US shipped product and they are in good shape.  You'll enjoy them.  They sound a bit thin initially when you come from certain dynamics and planars, but once you live with them, they will grow on you and you'll likely enjoy all the detail that you read about here.  Super comfortable too, although they are a bit cheezy with all the plastic.  I like mine.

HS

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #1,770 of 4,054
Like mine too, seems like a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back