KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Jan 28, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #1,651 of 4,052

With that said, I believe the 007/009 is a cut above everything - that is, especially when driven by a BHSE/KGSSHV KG derived amplifier.

cool! i think im getting a firmer grip on what i want now. i'll either have to pickup a set of HE6 to play with or one of the above KG derived amps to start experimenting with.

when u say the 007/009 is a cut above everything, can u elaborate further? ie what is above, how is it above & to what extent?  

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #1,652 of 4,052
Just about everything is better - the speed, resolve, clarity, balance. 

I can go into more detail in PM as to not derail this thread, if you'd like.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #1,653 of 4,052
  Just about everything is better - the speed, resolve, clarity, balance. 

I can go into more detail in PM as to not derail this thread, if you'd like.

yaa that would be greatly appreciated. i'll shoot u a pm to take this further if u dont mind.

that said, i would think any esp950 iowner would want to know where the koss stands in the whole scheme of things. esp how much they can push the performance envelope & what they can expect if they take the next step to the final frontier so to speak. i think besides being a good starter e-stat setup, the koss can also serve as a standard whereby one can have a basis to compare with. 

so long as it pertains to the esp950 directly or indirectly, it should be relevant to this thread.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #1,654 of 4,052

yaa that would be greatly appreciated. i'll shoot u a pm to take this further if u dont mind.

that said, i would think any esp950 iowner would want to know where the koss stands in the whole scheme of things. esp how much they can push the performance envelope & what they can expect if they take the next step to the final frontier so to speak. i think besides being a good starter e-stat setup, the koss can also serve as a standard whereby one can have a basis to compare with.

so long as it pertains to the esp950 directly or indirectly, it should be relevant to this thread.

I once had the 950 driven by the KGST - i had thought this would be end game but boy, was I wrong. The sound improved slightly but it did not scale as expected. All in all, it didn't sound quite right and i think the 950 was struggling to keep up with the performance of the KGST. Everything fell into place once I got the 007s.

Having said that, yes i agree with you that the Koss is a very good starter or introduction into the world of e-stats.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #1,655 of 4,052

thanks. im interpreting your words meaning that the koss no matter how good an amp,  isnt & will not be an endgame headphones. as reference, i do find the HD800 worthy of endgame status despite its flaws. i still find the Senn tonally leaner than i'd like & ofcourse a bigger bottom interms of weight + smooth(er) to more Esp950. the HD800 would be perfect to my ear if it can incorporate the above retaining what it has now.

I know we're in a kind of anteroom of the Stax mafia territrory
tongue.gif
but I will dare to say I do think the HD800 deserves a end game status too. In fact, we are not  alone and there's many examples of people who sold their Stax rig for a totl HD800 rig. There're many people who went the other way. I do thing the Summit of headphone world is large enough to accept many headphones around which we can build a end game rig. it seems many people build a eng game rig with some orthos too.

wink.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #1,658 of 4,052
With the 009 costing somewhere between 3 and 5 times the price of the ESP, and make that closer to 5 to 7 if you factor in the amp, I sould HOPE it sounds better :)

Does it sound 400% - 600% better, though? Because you can get an ESP for around 600-700 (1000 list). An 009+323 will cost more like 4K list. So on sale, 3K?

Someone needs to create a rule of something like

"Quality of audio components rise in logarithmic proportion to price"

confused_face(1).gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #1,660 of 4,052
Exactly :)

Thus, "Avi's law of logarithmic enhancement" :D

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #1,661 of 4,052
  With the 009 costing somewhere between 3 and 5 times the price of the ESP, and make that closer to 5 to 7 if you factor in the amp, I sould HOPE it sounds better :)

Does it sound 400% - 600% better, though? Because you can get an ESP for around 600-700 (1000 list). An 009+323 will cost more like 4K list. So on sale, 3K?

confused_face(1).gif

I think % of improvement do not make sense. If you're after absolute sound, the last subtle improvements to achieve your goal can worth a lot of time and a lot of money. For people who just want to listen music in good enough conditions, that seems absolutely crazy.

One other point is when you have a really Summit Headphone, downgrading to last stellar offers can be really disappointing although going the other way is not so impressive.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,662 of 4,052

confused_face(1).gif

That is generally a well known fact among audiophiles that sonic improvements are nowhere near linear with respect to the cost. The last 10% of performance can cost many many times more at the top end. If you could just tack on 10% of the price to get to 100% audio perfection, everyone would do it.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,663 of 4,052
Absolutely an old adage, "diminishing returns", early improvements are a sort of "low hanging fruit", not as difficult to come by as the last 10% (pick your arbitrary percent...never did figure out how people give numerical values to these subjective attributes, but that's just me). If you're the sort that must have the "absolute best" (which, again, doesn't exist, there are different "bests", no gear reproduces "the absolute sound" as they like to call it. It's not even clear what "the absolute sound" means, unless you were there, and it was acoustic instruments in a live environment, you have no idea what was done in the mix and other manipulations of the sound), you gotta put up the bucks. For most of us, getting most of the way there without breaking the bank will have to suffice.
My $0.02

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,664 of 4,052

confused_face(1).gif

That is generally a well known fact among audiophiles that sonic improvements are nowhere near linear with respect to the cost. The last 10% of performance can cost many many times more at the top end. If you could just tack on 10% of the price to get to 100% audio perfection, everyone would do it.

I know it's well known; my wallet can attest to effect it has had on me this past decade or two. I am just implementing Stigler's law of eponymy and naming the phenomenon
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #1,665 of 4,052
if it was all about bang for the buck, i feel a recabled HD600 with a Gilmore Lite will bring us 80-85% of the way there. its well balanced, solidly capable & resolving enough (& strangely forgiving enough) to be good for almost all genres. best of all, one can easily assemble that setup for <$1k & much less if buying used. if i didnt know better, i think i can live happily ever after. YMMV ofcourse.

however the quest for the best was & is never about bang for the buck and there in lies the rub. yes the logarithmic scale of deminishing returns bites & bites extremely hard. cant speak for others but my journey lies in finding a setup that will not just put a large smile on my face & but that will also allow me to not miss my speakers. not quite so easy esp when there are so much choices esp with the diversity of opinions & passions in these parts.

for me, this quest truly begun when i finally understood my wants & needs. thanks to the words of a headfier, i believe my befuddled wandering has ended. i know as fact, it wont be inexpensive but i do believe that its worth pursuing. afterall isnt that what this odyssey is all about 
beerchug.gif

addon: forgot to thank paradoxper for the invaluable advise given. thanks again Cory 
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back