KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Feb 1, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #1,681 of 4,054

KGST = KGBH? if so, then it should a great amp. im sure u can tube roll to find something that goes with the 009. with the low yen right now, its <$3k shipped!!! thats like $2k less than when the 009 1st came out. u know u want it so mites well get it done & over with 
o2smile.gif

KGST.  The 009 is going to be too bright for my tastes.  If I step up, it'll be a 007.

HS

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #1,682 of 4,054
  I have a KGST,coming in,in a few days
I have the 009,s & I am hoping this is end-game for me
Very interested in picking up a pair of the Koss,as a back up pair
Please let me know,if it is worth it..PM me if you like-OK?

Thanks,
Mike

hi Mike, congrats on the KGST. i too have a KGSSHV coming but def not in a few days. lols. u should post in the stax thread & let us know how 009 goes with the KGST. im sure there'll be many whos dying to know.

as for the 950s, i cant comment on the pairing with your KGST but based on all ive read, it should be very good. from all i know, the 950 its more a 007 type sound than 009 so im thinking it should be a great complement to your 009. 

as for whether the 950s are worth it, the 950 + e90 pairing has a sound that is leaner than i'd like. bottomend is all mid bass & not very defined (ala hd800) at that. i didnt pay the $1k koss is asking but if i had to, i dont think its worth it for me. however another headfier whos ears i trust has a 009 & the 950 as well. according to him, with the KGSSHV, the 950 is on par with any of the dynamic cans (yes including the hd800).

so IMO if u can pick up a pair of 950 for btwn $5-600, it mite be totally worth your while. dont forget u will have to either diy a koss2stax adapter cable or buy one premade (about $150). indeed i ordered a stax 5pin plug from moon-audio & a 950 extension cable (direct from koss) to diy my own cable for when my amp comes.

alternatively, some headfiers here have had success with an aftermarket psu + powercord combo to use with the koss amp. they posted the links in the last page it i believe. however IMO that would redundant since u have the KGST.

KGST.  The 009 is going to be too bright for my tastes.  If I step up, it'll be a 007.

HS

with amp like the KGST, it would be crime to not step up!  

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #1,684 of 4,054
OK, I got the Stax 323 today, but, being the worlds most indecisive guy, I haven't gotten around to deciding how I should proceed with the adapter cable. The ones made for you are about $150, not cheap. But, my past history with DIY is, I order all the parts, put them somewhere, and never actually complete the project for time/inclinations reasons. Likely I'll bite the bullet and order one of these adapter cables, then be able to see what it does for the 950. May not be significant, but the Stax amp weighs about 50 times more than the Koss (and, it's not all that heavy, does feel solid).

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #1,685 of 4,054
OK, I got the Stax 323 today, but, being the worlds most indecisive guy, I haven't gotten around to deciding how I should proceed with the adapter cable. The ones made for you are about $150, not cheap. But, my past history with DIY is, I order all the parts, put them somewhere, and never actually complete the project for time/inclinations reasons. Likely I'll bite the bullet and order one of these adapter cables, then be able to see what it does for the 950. May not be significant, but the Stax amp weighs about 50 times more than the Koss (and, it's not all that heavy, does feel solid).

Next a stax headphone? :)

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #1,686 of 4,054
Update-just ordered one, hopefully won't take too long, check out the Stax amp...

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #1,687 of 4,054

Next a stax headphone? :)

Seems to be the natural progression...

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,688 of 4,054
So, I was curious about whether there's a recable option for my Etymotic ER-4Ps, and found this guy, who I've never heard of before and who not only sells an adapter at the (roughly) same $140 price point that we've seen elsewhere, but also does a full recable on 950s. Has anyone here done this, bought his adapter or had any other experience with him?

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #1,689 of 4,054
Update-just ordered one, hopefully won't take too long, check out the Stax amp...

congrats on the 323s. the Stax Mafia says its amoungst the better inexpensive stax amps. i think spritzer mite have some mods for it as well. while an additional stax headphone cant hurt, i've read that the 950 scale very well too. im also waiting for my amp to try it out with the koss.

So, I was curious about whether there's a recable option for my Etymotic ER-4Ps, and found this guy, who I've never heard of before and who not only sells an adapter at the (roughly) same $140 price point that we've seen elsewhere, but also does a full recable on 950s. Has anyone here done this, bought his adapter or had any other experience with him?

if it were me, i wouldnt go anywhere near apuresound if it still exists. do a search here & u'll find a long complaints list. seems alex of apuresound ran off with quite a bit of money & also some very expensive headphones (think Sony R10)  sent to him for recabling. darin fong has a stax2koss adapter cable for sale but its not cheap. try emailing him or pm here & see if he'll do a recable for u.

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #1,690 of 4,054
Good to know, I had searched and found apuresound, I went with darin fong (just by luck, think I had actually read his name here somewhere). Hopefully, get the cable soon, hook it up to the Koss. wonder if there will be much difference.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #1,691 of 4,054
Good to know, I had searched and found apuresound, I went with darin fong (just by luck, think I had actually read his name here somewhere). Hopefully, get the cable soon, hook it up to the Koss. wonder if there will be much difference.

Thanks for the order! Your cable was shipped today. You should have it in 4 business days according to FedEx.

-Darin

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,692 of 4,054
:beerchug:

Thanks for the order! Your cable was shipped today. You should have it in 4 business days according to FedEx.

-Darin

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #1,693 of 4,054
Ok Head-fi, I haven't posted in a while. Not since I was one of the early adapters for the HE-400 and the whole mess that came with it. But yesterday, I came across this. I couldn't help myself and just went for it. I don't know if they work, but boy they sure are in great great shape aesthetically. Doing some research I came up here, but I am stuck as to what to do next. Should I contact Koss for a replacement e90? is the DIY approach fairly easy for just making an adapter? Any input is appreciated!

EDIT- I'm going back reading all of the messages that have come before me too, so I'm not totally lazy. I'm getting excited here! I'm seeing Darin Fong's work, and I'm seeing the APuresound website for recabling. I never thought I'd own a pair of headphones like this and be searching for a potential Stax amp! Wow!!!

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #1,695 of 4,054
Whoa! No I had not. Just how difficult would it be for me to get the moon audio adapter and do it myself? Any idea where I can figure out how to do that? 

I've been jumping back and forth reading up on these cans. This is an entirely new world to me. I'm now looking at going for a Woo Wee, but I am still so green...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back