KOSS ESP-950 Thread
May 26, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #1,321 of 4,052
I just picked up a pair of ESP-950's and I must say they are shockingly good!!!!

I am hearing a little of the squeal everyone talks about once in a while. 

I am also finding that the bass volume doesn't seem to increase at the same level of mid's and highs with higher energizer volumes. I'm thinking this may have something to do with the Energizer. I am listening to them at this very moment and I must tell you they are blowing my mind right now. The balance between mids, highs and lows are outstanding. I listened to a pair of Stax 007's MK II at a shop a few weeks ago and I must say that I think I may like the overall sound signature of these over what I heard in the shop. 

I have Audeze LCD2's and a the NAD Viso and I would have never believed these Koss Electrostatics would sound so sweet, so rich, so full. 

In terms of build quality they are worse than the NAD's (which I think feel cheap), but at the end of the day headphone are for listening to music and these ESP's really deliver. 

These things are a serious bargain at $1000.00 delivered to my door including the Energizer and a nice leather bag. I had the entire thing setup and playing music through my iDecco (as a DAC) in less than 10 minutes. 

If you can.....do it!!

P.S. Thanks Jude for the recommendation!!!!

May 26, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #1,322 of 4,052
I really need to share what just happened with my 13 year old son. He saw me typing on the computer with the ESP's on. He asked what they were, I asked him to take a seat and put on the next track which happen to be a classical piano piece, he sat there in shock.....and then (I kid you not), he started to cry. WOW!!!!!! that's a first. Way to go Koss. 

May 27, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #1,323 of 4,052
  I really need to share what just happened with my 13 year old son. He saw me typing on the computer with the ESP's on. He asked what they were, I asked him to take a seat and put on the next track which happen to be a classical piano piece, he sat there in shock.....and then (I kid you not), he started to cry. WOW!!!!!! that's a first. Way to go Koss. 

"Introducing the Koss 950: it makes children cry."

May 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,326 of 4,052
So, now that it's 2014, is there an electrostatic combo that betters the 950 at its own game, i.e. warmth and body, along with good detail and transparency, lack of fatigue, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?  Seems like the consensus is that the older Stax cans are warmer than the current models.  

Likewise, is there a general preference among those who use Stax amps to drive 950s, whether tube or solid state work better?

Lastly, is anyone using an 'energizer' connected to a speaker amp to drive their 950s?  what amp did you use, and did it beat a direct-drive amp?

lots of questions, I know - but thought they might be useful to a number of readers.

May 27, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #1,327 of 4,052
I have my stock energizer connected via RCA to RCA to the direct out of my iDecco, this way the iDecco is only being used as a DAC for my iPod. Is there a better way to hook this up with my current setup?

I also have a Lyr amp. I used to connect the same direct out from the iDecco to the Lyr, and the Lyr was my LCD 2 amp.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

May 27, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,328 of 4,052
I also wanted to mention how happy and gracious I am to belong to the Head-Fi community. Without this group I wouldn't have my LCD2's or my Lyr and I would never have purchased the Koss ESP-950 because I didn't know they have been in existence for over 20 years!!

P.S. I have to give credit to InnerFidelity for my NAD purchase.

May 28, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #1,329 of 4,052
I have had the ESP-90's for almost 2 days now, and I must say they are getting better. The squeal that I heard the first day is gone, and they seem to be getting better in every regard. Even the bass I complained about at higher volumes seems to be much better. They have been running for about 40 hours. 

I know we have heard this next part many times, but this is the first pair of headphone that I've had that have fooled me at least 3 times into thinking that there was some sound coming from in my room, which makes me take of the headphones and then realize it's something in the recording.

I will keep posting my impressions on this ever so great investment. 

beyersmile.png

May 29, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #1,331 of 4,052
I would love to live with a pair of 009's for a week. Will they really be so much better? I wouldn't be happy with any less bass than what I'm getting from the Koss, and the Koss has the largest surface currently available on an electrostatic headphone which makes me doubt that the bass on the 009 could be better.

I'll tell you this much, if the 009's where seriously better than the Koss....I would buy them in an instant.

A Stax loaner program would be amazing.

May 29, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,332 of 4,052
I don't know how to break this to you but the bass on my o2's and lns are much more pleasing to me than with the esp950 even driven from Stax amps.  The esp950 is a superb electrostat, don't get me wrong, but I would not doubt that the 009 would be the victor.

May 29, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #1,333 of 4,052
I'm sure the 009 would be sweeter.

I'm am so in love with the electrostatic sound that I may just pay a kings ransome if it were that much better.
BUT,,,It would really need to be soooooo much better to justify the price.

May 29, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #1,334 of 4,052
I do love the ESP950's but I sadly let my most recent pair go - thankfully to a friend.  Part of the decision that did them in for me was that I became more and more entrenched into the Stax realm - at first I got owned pretty hard financially by making some bad calls but I must say but it eventually paid off, a few months later and right now I'm pretty satisfied with my Stax setup.

The lower end of Stax and the vintage stuff is really good gear when you are ready to take the next step!!  Just make sure to do your homework better than I did.

May 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #1,335 of 4,052
I was so close to buying a pair of 007 MK I or a 009. But then I started thinking about the amp and DAC. At that point I knew I would be into a room stereo investment. My biggest concern was wondering if I would really notice a huge difference, would they be better than my Audeze LCD2. Many things I read said electrostatics and Audezes are very close etc etc. (I think they are totally different) I was at a point where I didn't want to think about it anymore. Then I saw Jude's video on the buyers guide and he said the Koss was so amazing for the money. So I did it and he was so right.
I am happy to pay for prime sound, I have spent a fortune in my audio room, but it has to be well worth it for me. I need to really hear the difference and not just think I'm hearing a difference.
I would love to know what gear you finally decided on in the stax world. Knowing that you owned the Koss makes your opinion very valuable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back