KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Dec 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #1,248 of 4,054
Just received a used ESP-950 headphone/amp off Ebay.  Purchased only because of the condition and price- mint like new @ 350.00.
Not sure of age, but the original box and some literature reads 1991/1992!  Anyway, the headphones and amp are perfect but the foam dust covers inside the cups are deteriorating and making a mess.  Hooked them up and wow, I wasnt expecting much but these sound great.

I have no squealing, but I do get the occasional russling/static or rushing water sound if I yawn or break the seal between headphone pad and skin.  Also, they have the similar popping or Stax fart.

This happens only occasionally but dont forget, I may have a really old pair so...

Still cant believe they sound this good for 350.00.  :)

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,249 of 4,054
Just received a used ESP-950 headphone/amp off Ebay.  Purchased only because of the condition and price- mint like new @ 350.00.
Not sure of age, but the original box and some literature reads 1991/1992!  Anyway, the headphones and amp are perfect but the foam dust covers inside the cups are deteriorating and making a mess.  Hooked them up and wow, I wasnt expecting much but these sound great.

I have no squealing, but I do get the occasional russling/static or rushing water sound if I yawn or break the seal between headphone pad and skin.  Also, they have the similar popping or Stax fart.

This happens only occasionally but dont forget, I may have a really old pair so...

Still cant believe they sound this good for 350.00.  :)

I think part of buying new from manufacturer is the lifetime warranty so I never have to worry about squeal problems or deteriorating foam. Still not worth buying for $1000 when you can get it when they have sales for $600 new like they did on Cyber Monday.

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #1,250 of 4,054
Bought mine for $600 as well.  The Koss ESP950 with a really good source does make a very musical combo.   I'm quite impress with the way these sound even with the stock amplifier.  

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #1,251 of 4,054
Wow $350? That makes it officially the lowest I've seen these sell for. Regardless of condition, that's what that lifetime warranty is for given the headphone or amp hasn't been tampered with.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #1,252 of 4,054
I bought a pair new (open box) on that theory.  They squealed.  They've been back to Koss five, count 'em, five times.  Every return pair squealed.  I even took to marking the insides to see if they were really swapping drivers (they were).  I gave up.  I have a pair of ESP/950s in a box waiting for a day when I have time to do destructive testing.

Lifetime warranty is useless when Koss can't fix 'em.  And looking at Koss's financials they may not last another year (which is exceedingly sad in its own right).

[edit: they've been back five times, this is the sixth pair]

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #1,253 of 4,054
Again, the issues I have with my pair are minor and I usually have to try on purpose to make them act up.  Not worth sending them to Koss as they work okay and Im happy with them.

I did email Koss asap about the foam issue when I received, and they said send em in, we will check them out and replace / repair free.  Just send 8 or $9.00 with the phones for return shipping I think.  Thats some service right there...

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,254 of 4,054

The leather they use on the pads is so interesting. They looked really dull brand new, but it seems designed to shine and get conditioned naturally by your facial grease/sweat. The more you use it, the better it gets.
redface.gif

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #1,255 of 4,054
Xiphmont- I wouldn't be happy either, that's got to be frustrating.

Just for something to do, I ordered connectors to make an adapter. Gonna try em with my other amps.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #1,256 of 4,054
Xiphmont- I wouldn't be happy either, that's got to be frustrating.

Just for something to do, I ordered connectors to make an adapter. Gonna try em with my other amps.

Still waiting on mine to get back from Koss ...

Also, ordered a Stax SRM-252S to use instead of the Koss energizer; waiting for it too ... all this waiting. Ugh.

:wink:

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #1,257 of 4,054
Little change in topic here, as I've had my 950s since 1993, luckily with no problems and therefore no reason to send them in to Koss. I'm pretty well aware of what they're capable of, although I'm curious about large and small ways to extend that capability.

One thing I did a while back, for the first time, was to use an external DAC, in my case just getting the adaptor and plugging in the DAC portion of my portable headphone amp, a Fiio E17, for computer listening on a Mac using iTunes. It sounded fantastic compared with the output of my computers.

I then figured I could do better, and got a ODAC. I have to say, for a tiny investment, this is an incredible step up. In addition to the usual things that you would expect to hear--tighter everything, but bass in particular, less digital noise, better instrumental separation, smoother high end, wider and deeper soundstage--I'm hearing far better differentiation of height information. I wonder whether this unexpected result is headphone-specific to the step-up in DAC, or whether 950 owners have heard this in other headphones they own as well when they change DACs.

I have to say, I didn't expect this at all--I don't often listen to vinyl through headphones, and haven't done it much in decades, but I haven't discerned much height information while doing so, even though I do hear tons of it through my speakers.

Dec 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #1,258 of 4,054
I got that 9V 3.00A regulated AC adapter today, and I have to say it does address my biggest concern on the transparency. While it's still not the last word in transparency, it's definitely helped a noticeable amount, especially for fast-paced, congested tracks like rock music. For $30, it's definitely worth considering.

Also for fun, I hooked up a subwoofer and with crossover at 100 Hz to compensate for the bass roll off. Defeated the purpose of headphones not disturbing others, but it sounds pretty good.
biggrin.gif
Only the bass having a much larger soundstage and slower is a bit odd and takes away from the coherency of the overall sound.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #1,259 of 4,054
Has anyone else found the 3.5mm port to have better sound quality than the RCA ports? Seems to remove another layer of veil.

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #1,260 of 4,054
  I got that 9V 3.00A regulated AC adapter today, and I have to say it does address my biggest concern on the transparency. While it's still not the last word in transparency, it's definitely helped a noticeable amount, especially for fast-paced, congested tracks like rock music. For $30, it's definitely worth considering.

Also for fun, I hooked up a subwoofer and with crossover at 100 Hz to compensate for the bass roll off. Defeated the purpose of headphones not disturbing others, but it sounds pretty good.
biggrin.gif
Only the bass having a much larger soundstage and slower is a bit odd and takes away from the coherency of the overall sound.

Where did you buy the upgrade PSU?  Please share link if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back