beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #1,414 of 4,054
from an idea by chinsettawong.

I trashed 2 x neutrik male gold xlr's.
which makes the piece above about $20 so far
plus the machined cap

they are exactly the correct size, 3/32 inch

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #1,415 of 4,054
So the question becomes where can you source freestanding 3/32" gold pins of the right length so you don't have to go through the expense and effort of buying and pulling apart Neutrik male gold xlrs, which sounds overly expensive, time-consuming and a general pain. Neutrik must be getting them from somewhere. I bet they'd tell you if you ask nicely.

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #1,416 of 4,054
well these guys
http://www.laddinc.com/images/stories/drawings/0460-220-12--RevB.pdf
from here
http://www.deutschconnector.com/products/deutsch_pins_and_sockets/deutsch_dt_pins_and_sockets/

but they cost more than buying the neutrik connectors and they don't have the umbrella flair that keeps them
in the hole. The pins come out in seconds with an appropriately drilled piece of aluminum and a small bench
vise.

Its not about cost, its about having the perfect connector.
you should know that this is the way I do things.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #1,418 of 4,054
Well Kevin, I get that you're not concerned about cost, and the Ladd pins don't work right so they're not a practical option. And it still must be a pain to pull the Neutriks apart. What about my second approach, asking Neutrik where they source their pins? It's not like you're competing with them--you're clearly not planning on mass producing XLRs.

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #1,420 of 4,054
Anybody interested in a pair of ESP-950s with maybe 100 hours on them and no issues last time I tried them (7 months ago) for $600 shipped anywhere in the continental US should PM me.  I like them, but prefer my LCDs, and need the cash to feed my other habit -- orchard equipment.  Any of you who think this hobby is expensive should be thankful you're not into Italian orchard equipment... (why yes, I DO need a $60,000 tractor...I think... ).  The Koss won't buy me much more than a small part of a side-shifting mower or airblast sprayer, but every little bit will help at this point.

I'll be putting a post up in the FS section over the weekend, but figured I'd give the aficionados a shot first.

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,422 of 4,054
This is copied from the Koss website. Follow these instructions and you will nave no problem. I have been through the process and it's painless. The whole service process took about 2 to 3 weeks.

After you mail everything, give them a PHONE CALL and verify that your part has been received:

Warranty or Repair within the United States

If you have not done so, please register your stereophone by clicking here.

Once you have completed registration, you may send your warranty items to our Corporation and we will repair or replace them in accordance Limited Warranty.

Our address is:
Koss Corporation
Attn: Warranty Return
4129 N. Port Washington Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53212
You may also visit our Milwaukee location if you are from the area.

Include:
$9.00 for the return shipping and handling per stereophone (money order, cashier's check, or personal check: payable to Koss Stereophones), a note describing the failure, as well as your contact information: name, return shipping address, phone number and email.

We recommend that you ship your items to Koss so your shipment is trackable. Please keep your tracking information on file. We will ship out warranty replacements within 72 hours of the product being processed via standard US mail or via UPS. Please allow 10-14 days for shipment delivery.
If you would like to check the status of your warranty, please call Koss Consumer Sales at 1-800-USA-KOSS.

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #1,424 of 4,054
I just got my Koss 950's back and they look like they're brand new. They did some reconditioning and changed the serial number. These babys sound pretty awesome, even with the stock amp. I've finally found a replacement for my beloved AKG K340's!

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #1,425 of 4,054
A word about the infamous squeal. I've had my 950s since 1992, and the squeal has finally reared its ugly head for the first time in all those years. There have been some suggestions here that it occurs due to dust inside the mechanism. So I took a can of Dust-Off compressed air and sprayed it into the perfed metal that sits on the outside of the ear cups. Sure enough, the squeal went away, headphones sound just like they did before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back