KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Oct 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #1,156 of 4,052
Let me understand you here G.  You only heard the 950s on the stock amp - not on a BHSE or a KGSSHV?  If this is the case it an unfair fight from the start.  If you want to sell them I'll be your huckleberry 
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,157 of 4,052
You understand correctly:  I have only used the stock 950 amp, but since Koss designed and sells the system together as a package, I consider that to be a completely fair fight.  They could have included a Stax-terminated extension cable instead of an amp, and sold the 950s for significantly less... but they didn't. 

As far as I am concerned, the ESP-950 slots perfectly into the $600-750 price range, with the E90 amp. As shipped, it can't compete with the big boys, but it isn't priced like them either. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #1,158 of 4,052
Thank you guys for your comparisons, especially G in MD. This makes my purchasing decision much more difficult. I wanted to get an emotiva  mini X + HE6 as a possible endgame for a couple years until I thought maybe my first pair of electrostats might well do it for me. Now that I know where the Koss stands, I might have to debate everything a bit. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #1,160 of 4,052
  I have been browsing this thread (read about twenty pages) and didn't find too many recent posts regarding the Koss ESP-950 vs. the SRS-2170. If there are some posts, I apologize!

I am debating about getting the Koss currently, but someone recommended the SRS-2170 to me.

Here is what I have heard about the ESP-950s: 

Bass slam/impact is the most out of basically any electrostatic headphones
Mid-forward headphones
The bass extension rolls off
The upper end also rolls off

Is this accurate? What should I expect as far as differences in the two headphone systems? I plan to use the amps that come with each one, so keep that in mind.

Side note - do I need a different DAC than the Schiit Modi (for either set up)?

Did you read the 2nd. post over at the Stax entry level thread?
Why dont you read---instead of double posting,all over the forums?

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #1,161 of 4,052
  Did you read the 2nd. post over at the Stax entry level thread?
Why dont you read---instead of double posting,all over the forums?

I posted this before I read the reply on the other one. It's okay.

I'll edit this post to reflect this new knowledge, and also to focus on my second question.

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #1,162 of 4,052
  Thanks for the reply. So what do these sound better than in every way? The LCD2? HD650? HE500? Give me a somewhat rough place marker if you have done direct comparisons before. This can isn't in the battle of the flagships thread so I'm very lost with the lack of information about what kind of performance to expect from these bad boys.

I have only heard the LCD2 a couple of times, it definitely has better bass than 950, resolution is maybe about the same. Very brief auditions at meets.
I have not heard the HD650 and HE500.
Someone once claimed the 950 SQ is roughly at the same level as HE5 (the original wood phones, not LE), though of different flavor of course, so I would guess it is probably around the HE500 level as well.

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #1,164 of 4,052
  Let me understand you here G.  You only heard the 950s on the stock amp - not on a BHSE or a KGSSHV?  If this is the case it an unfair fight from the start.  If you want to sell them I'll be your huckleberry 
biggrin.gif

I plan on re-purchasing the 950 and trying with KGSSHV.  Heard the 950 on the Electra prototype and was surprised at the size and heft of the sound...
  They could have included a Stax-terminated extension cable instead of an amp, and sold the 950s for significantly less... but they didn't.

At RMAF, I asked Koss to pass on that we'd like a Stax-terminated cable option as well as a "premium pad" option.  We're a niche market, but we can ask (and hope)!

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #1,165 of 4,052
Cee Tee:

Certainly no harm in asking, but Koss already sells extension cables for ~$15.  If we can afford a quality Stax amp, we can afford to pay somebody to mod that cable... and voila, problem fixed for the few of us interested in the upgrade, without Koss having to do anything special.  That seems like the best approach to me... and probably to them too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back