KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Jun 14, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #2,911 of 4,052
Hello,

As were talking about headphone pads and comfort, perhaps I could get your help putting in a request for Koss to do something.

If you have tried the Pro4S Studio Headphones from Koss, the pads are pretty darn good. Seems like some type of memory foam padding in them. I have written Koss a couple of times now asking them to get some of this type of pads made up for the 950 headphones so we can purchase them. Was hoping some of you might prod them as well. Koss parts are priced very reasonable and I expect the pads would be at a great price/performance ratio.

Regards,
Greg

Jun 14, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #2,912 of 4,052
I spoke to the koss folks at an RMAF and they pretty much said it's unlikely anything will be done with the 950 other then selling it. Personally, I don't think Koss has any engineering capability anymore.

Jun 14, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #2,913 of 4,052
Hello,

As were talking about headphone pads and comfort, perhaps I could get your help putting in a request for Koss to do something.

If you have tried the Pro4S Studio Headphones from Koss, the pads are pretty darn good. Seems like some type of memory foam padding in them. I have written Koss a couple of times now asking them to get some of this type of pads made up for the 950 headphones so we can purchase them. Was hoping some of you might prod them as well. Koss parts are priced very reasonable and I expect the pads would be at a great price/performance ratio.

Regards,
Greg
The Vesper pads are a little pricey but they sure are comfortable.

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #2,919 of 4,052
upload_2017-7-11_17-16-39.gif

Aug 23, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #2,920 of 4,052
Given these headphones come with an "energizer," how would I go about using them with my MacBook to stream music? I've been looking for a dedicated classical music headphone, and this looks like a good bet. I considered a STAX, but read somewhere that they offered no warranty outside Japan. So I was simply elated to find this American-made electrostatic headphone with a lifetime warranty.

Aug 23, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #2,921 of 4,052
They have analog RCA input so any DAC will work, or if the Mac has a stereo output you just need a stereo to rca adapter.

Aug 23, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #2,922 of 4,052
Given these headphones come with an "energizer," how would I go about using them with my MacBook to stream music? I've been looking for a dedicated classical music headphone, and this looks like a good bet. I considered a STAX, but read somewhere that they offered no warranty outside Japan. So I was simply elated to find this American-made electrostatic headphone with a lifetime warranty.

The energizer/amp actually has a headphone input on the front (1/8") and I'm pretty sure it comes with a 1/8" to 1/8" cable, so all you'll need to do is plug the energizer into the wall to power it and to your MacBook's headphone out and then plug the headphones in and you're set. I don't think you'll need anything that's not already included.

In my experience, some MacBooks have pretty good sound and other sound pretty bad (the older ones in particular). I noticed a huge improvement in sound with my USB DAC (gamma2) when I bought it a few years ago and used it with an old 13" MBP, but the computers I use now (touchbar 15" rMBP, 5k retina iMac) sound half decent even without a DAC. I find the iPhone pretty half decent, too. So I imagine the current MacBooks have a pretty good DAC built in but it's still worth upgrading if you can IMO. I think the gamma2 is about $200 used or less and I know there are better DACs available but I'm very satisfied with it. It's worth the price.

I have a pair of Stax headphones (used to have two, actually) and I think the ESP-950 is just as good for classical music. If it lacks anything relative to the Lambdas, it's sub bass, which I hear less of in classical recordings, and I think strings in particular sound great with it.

You might have to bend the band in a bit. My copy, at least, had terrible clamping force. I think classical music sounds way better with the ESP-950 than with the HD650, but wow does the HD650 feel more comfortable.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #2,923 of 4,052
The MacBook has a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo headphone jack. The Koss E/90 headphone amp/energizer has two RCA jacks on the back for inputs, so what you need is a cable which has a 1/8" stereo headphone plug at one end, and right and left RCA plugs at the other. You should be able to get such a cable at most hi-fi shops, Best Buy or equivalent stores, or on the internet. Alternatively,, the energizer also has a 1/8" stereo headphone plug on the front and a 1/8" to 1/8" cable which is included that you can use, as noted above.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #2,924 of 4,052

I'm a bit late jumping in, but...

Re connection to a MacBook by analog, I'd start with the 1/8th out headphone jack, and either go with the split to twin RCA or the 1/8th on the other end to the energizer. It accepts analog either way, and the ESP-950 comes with a workable version of both kinds of cable. Already covered, I know. I've done it with my PCs, my Galaxy phones, no real complaint about the sound that way. The manual is available online, it tells you what comes in the box.

You can probably step up using a decent DAC from the USB out, and pipe analog from it to the energizer, as mentioned also. That is what I do most of the time. My DAC/Amp is a FiiO E18, which has a line level out. Uber DACs beat it, and it has a sub-bass rolloff that pisses me off a bit, but it sounds better than the other analog outs that I have.

FWIW, I use mine with Classical, and everything else I get my hands on. I mean, live rock, ELP, Pink Floyd, Jazz, Windham Hill, whatever. When I added a 'bass exciter' (harmonic exciter as recommended by cskippy) to foobar (in Windows), it gives me all the ridiculous bass I get from the Beyerdynamic Street Custom or Sennheiser HD518, without the flab, and keeps the ethereal mids and highs the Koss have without it. Some bass EQ helps too, but not the same. Really, the frequency response of the ESP-950 is pretty damn flat, all things considered. It is just fun to make them sound more like dynamic headphones. The MacBook guys say they have equivalent setups - check Allanmarcus' signature for reference.

Comfort? I love mine loose. I added aftermarket earpads from Vesper Audio after reading the recommendations in this thread. You can get them from Fong Audio / store too, many here share my opinion they improve comfort lots and the sound at least a little. Even with the few extra ounces they add in weight, these headphones weigh almost nothing. I can, and do, listen to them for hours on end and notice only the glorious sound.

I was going to jump in and share the link I had for a real North America Stax distributor, but on checking I see it is done. I read a (to me...) hilarious comment on Reddit about it - "You can only buy from ebay or Price Japan as of now. You will have to wait until a US STAX distributor is established again to buy within the country since the guy who ran STAX USA in the past was a dick and pussied out because his toe hurt too much." heh... Someone saying he'll handle warranty work for a year on the STAX is http://www.smartimports.net. Looks like they don't have the US voltage versions of the energizers, though. The SRS-5100 is probably a step up from the Koss, the SRS-3100 a step down. Complete Lambda kits, though. Some like them better.

Short story, I love my ESP-950, I've even taken them mobile with the calf-skin bag and the c-cell battery pack, my phone and the FiiO. Warranty is good for as long as there is Koss - probably. Some day I'll buy a spare set. Bang for buck is ridiculous. I try other headsets every so often, and I'm trying to convince my buddy to jump and buy those Audeze LCD-3 so we can compare 'notes'. He gets to listen to Infinity RS-1A in his man cave most of the time, headphones not really high on his list, I think a Sony ES UBP-X1000ES is next on his list along with a 4K projector. I'm thinking I'll have to wait a little longer for the high end planar experience...

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #2,925 of 4,052
The E/90 has RCA jacks on the back and a 3.5mm stereo jack on the front. Mine does, at least. Should be able to run a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable from the macbook.

With the battery pack you can go portable, or at least what they called in the day "luggable".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back