KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Jun 13, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #271 of 4,054
RE:  LCD2  & ESP950

LCD2 has the most amazing bass quality, very natural midrange to just over 1000 Hz and OK treble.   They're good overall, but it's the quality of the bass that amazes.

ESP950  has more bass impact than other electrostatics- it has the largest diaphragm of any electrostatic headphone.  It's certainly no slouch, but it's not an LCD2 when it comes to bass.

ESP950 offers more mid and treble detail than LCD2.  It's got the electrostatic sound- that transparency of mids and treble.  LCD has smooth treble, and OK detail, but does not have the transparency of an electrostatic like the ESP950.

ESP950 has a unique sound- kind of like Stax in that it offers transparency, but quite unlike Stax in it's midrange presentation and extra bass impact. There's just something different about the mids in the Koss. Is it mid-forward? Well, maybe a little.  But I wouldn't say the ESP950's have a "hot" midrange.  It's more to do with something in the time domain- midrange transient detail and midrange texture richness?  Coupled with a 'smooth' sounding treble, which Purrin's waterfall curves show is admirably free of ringing. Yes, different from Stax but still electrostatic.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #273 of 4,054
     I've never seen them below $550 for new, and camelcamelcamel says the same.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Koss-160416-ESP-950-Electrostatic-Stereophone/product/B000056ULH

Ditto!  Not only Koss, but Amazon also list them retail new for $999.00 .... anything below $550 is good fortune, provided you get a relatively good set.
And, they're worth every penny - an outstanding and classic electrostatic with their own unique and lauded signature.

+1 to this as well. Koss will sometimes put them on sale on their website (they did for New Years or Christmas last year and they were 20 or 25% off the $999), Amazon seems to run them around $600-$700 typically, but I've seen them drop under $600 a few times in recent memory. It's absurd how good these are for their price.

And I agree with milosz's description of the sound, although I've never heard the STAXen; I agree that the mids/treble are more or less perfect and the bass impact is *quite* satisfying. This is relative to other cans I've heard, including some of the other Koss ESPs.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #274 of 4,054
Anybody have a chance to compare the Stax SR-507 with the Koss? I've been really enjoying the ESP-950s (actually, enjoying them more than my Omega IIs), but am now curious about the 507 -- is it a big improvement over the SR-404?

Jun 14, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #275 of 4,054
Quote:
Curious: have you compared E90 energizer to more expensive amps like KGSS?

No.  Have not compared the E90 even to my SRM-T1 or SRM-1/mk 2, just haven't gotten around to it.

And besides although I am building a DIY T-2, I don't have any access to KGSS, Blue Hawaii, etc.

One day I will post a comparison of the E90 to the SRM-T1 and SRM-1/mk 2, and when I finally finish the DIY T2   I will compare that too, providing it WORKS when I lay aside my soldering iron.... 
rolleyes.gif

I will also compare the E90 when driving Stax 'phones, since I have a cable adapter for that.  Just haven't gotten around to this.

Jun 14, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #276 of 4,054
Quote:
RE:  LCD2  & ESP950

LCD2 has the most amazing bass quality, very natural midrange to just over 1000 Hz and OK treble.   They're good overall, but it's the quality of the bass that amazes.

ESP950  has more bass impact than other electrostatics- it has the largest diaphragm of any electrostatic headphone.  It's certainly no slouch, but it's not an LCD2 when it comes to bass.

ESP950 offers more mid and treble detail than LCD2.  It's got the electrostatic sound- that transparency of mids and treble.  LCD has smooth treble, and OK detail, but does not have the transparency of an electrostatic like the ESP950.

ESP950 has a unique sound- kind of like Stax in that it offers transparency, but quite unlike Stax in it's midrange presentation and extra bass impact. There's just something different about the mids in the Koss. Is it mid-forward? Well, maybe a little.  But I wouldn't say the ESP950's have a "hot" midrange.  It's more to do with something in the time domain- midrange transient detail and midrange texture richness?  Coupled with a 'smooth' sounding treble, which Purrin's waterfall curves show is admirably free of ringing. Yes, different from Stax but still electrostatic.

Most of my listening was done with Stax SRM-T1 amp,  FYI

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #279 of 4,054
I have both and use them with an SRM-007tii amp. I prefer the Koss by a fairly large margin. To my ear the SR-507 sound kind of closed in and lacking in transparency in comparison to the ESP-950.  The Stax are definitely good headphones too but if you already have the ESP-950 and Omega IIs I'm not sure what the SR-507 will bring to the party.

Quote:
Anybody have a chance to compare the Stax SR-507 with the Koss? I've been really enjoying the ESP-950s (actually, enjoying them more than my Omega IIs), but am now curious about the 507 -- is it a big improvement over the SR-404?

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #280 of 4,054
Funny how we all hear differently.

I have both and prefer the 507 by a small margin. Both are excellent headphones. I think Milosz description of the ESP950's is spot-on. The Koss has a slightly less resolution and detail, yet has a smoother, deeper, and  slightly lush (for an electrostatic) midrange that is very attractive, especially if you're an analog fan. Sort of reminds me of a "baby brother" to the original Omega.

The 507 has the well documented Stax "house sound" of precision, detail, resolution, speed, etc..  Like  most Stax,  it can be a little edgy, thin, and cool for some tastes. Never heard the SR-404, but I own an SR-303, and the 507 is a major improvement.

You should listen to both.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #283 of 4,054
This thread perhaps?

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #285 of 4,054
Anyone know why the price on these just shot WAY WAY up?

Demand is through the roof, a lot of it having to do with how much they're being discussed around here. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back