KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Apr 5, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #2,793 of 4,052
  Should be the largest one. The Polarity inverter comes in a separate zip bag and is white colored (which doesn't seem to be present in the picture).

Oh, wait, you're right. I can see on their website that the polarity inverter is white. Then I did have the power/socket converter you mentioned. Here is a photo:

...And neither of them fit. (Unless I needed to push it in really hard?)

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #2,797 of 4,052
I'm hearing the bass roll off now. Sub bass. Seal matters a lot but nothing brings it back totally. Maybe an EQ boost is for me after all.

Any small cheap hardware EQs? 

Depending on source, your music player may have an eq.

I have one of these for room that needs equalization. It works fairly well

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Minifbq-Ultra-Compact-Graphic-Equalizer/dp/B000MJ406Y

Not sure how small is small to you.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #2,798 of 4,052
Depending on source, your music player may have an eq.

I have one of these for room that needs equalization. It works fairly well

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Minifbq-Ultra-Compact-Graphic-Equalizer/dp/B000MJ406Y

Not sure how small is small to you.

My source is a gamma2 DAC through a bottlehead crack with speedball tube amp into the energizer then the headphones. Sounds good with some nice warmth and electrostatic detail but the thick bass is missing with the ESP-950. With HD650s that detail is back, big time. I want that slam back. I'm terrified to try the HE-1 and hear everything I want but can't afford in one place.

That's not a bad price.... maybe I should give it a try. :/

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #2,799 of 4,052

My source is a gamma2 DAC ...

snipz..

Pardon, but a DAC is part of the chain from the source. That is a nice DIY DAC, if my search is right. Are you using an OPPO, a VPI, a DAP, a PC, a Mac - what is the source? My Onkyo player on my Android phone has a parametric equalizer. My PC player is foobar2000, there is a 30 band EQ plug-in that works wonders. They don't add harmonic distortion, but that's why you've got the speedball tubes in the chain, yes? Anyway, I think that's why Allanmarcus stated "Depending on source, your music player may have an eq." For myself, fixed 9 band EQ is not very subtle. That Minifbq even has a switchable 75Hz filter - wha? So... What is your source? Can the EQ be addressed in the digital domain, before going through to the analog stuff? 

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,800 of 4,052
Well this is a fine how-do-you-do...

So far I've compared the ESP-950 to the following:

Hifiman HE-400i
Oppo PM-3
Audeze LCD-2 (pre-fazor)
Monoprice M1060

And in each case I found the ESP-950 superior once EQ'ed, especially when run off the Stax SRM-1/Mk-2. I would have liked to have spent more time with the Monoprice 1060, but the manufacture quality was apalling... depending on what Monoprice fixes for the second run, I may revisit them as the bang-for-the-buck is insane.

But I wanted to try a set of better closed headphones, looking for a bit more impact and bass.

Enter the original Fostex TH-X00 (Mahogany). I picked up a set second-hand on eBay. Damned if it doesn't hit a lot of the sweet spots. Much better than I was expecting.

Treble was harsh as a mofo and way too high until I EQ'ed it down (makes me think that had I ever auditioned Sennheiser 800/800s I would have run from the room screaming). The X00 is nowhere near as detailed or analytical as the ESP-950, but I'll be darned if it isn't more "fun", for lack of a better word. Definitely not a flat headphone, but whatever they're doing makes the music seem more alive, especially on music with a lot more dynamics (rock, metal, dance). They've got my head bouncing more than the ESP-950. The soundstage isn't as large as the ESP-950; the music is more immediate and "in your face".

On classical and acoustic material though, I still prefer the ESP-950, genres where the detail shines and soundstage plays more of a factor. But for sheer sound presence on modern music, I greatly prefer the Fostex.

Comparing the vastly different sound signatures and presentation makes me wonder if it is truly possible to have a single set of headphones that excels in all areas. Right now, I'm listening to the Fostex about 80% of the time, but there's that 20% of material that has me reaching for the ESP-950.

It really does appear that "there can't be only one"... which I hate. There's nothing more annoying than having to choose different cans for different recordings/genres. If I had never heard the ESP-950, I would have been perfectly fine with only the Fostex... and vice versa. Not to mention the cans above that led me to these two. Oh, the journey...

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #2,801 of 4,052
  Well this is a fine how-do-you-do...

So far I've compared the ESP-950 to the following:

Hifiman HE-400i
Oppo PM-3
Audeze LCD-2 (pre-fazor)
Monoprice M1060

And in each case I found the ESP-950 superior once EQ'ed, especially when run off the Stax SRM-1/Mk-2. I would have liked to have spent more time with the Monoprice 1060, but the manufacture quality was apalling... depending on what Monoprice fixes for the second run, I may revisit them as the bang-for-the-buck is insane.

But I wanted to try a set of better closed headphones, looking for a bit more impact and bass.

Enter the original Fostex TH-X00 (Mahogany). I picked up a set second-hand on eBay. Damned if it doesn't hit a lot of the sweet spots. Much better than I was expecting.

Treble was harsh as a mofo and way too high until I EQ'ed it down (makes me think that had I ever auditioned Sennheiser 800/800s I would have run from the room screaming). The X00 is nowhere near as detailed or analytical as the ESP-950, but I'll be darned if it isn't more "fun", for lack of a better word. Definitely not a flat headphone, but whatever they're doing makes the music seem more alive, especially on music with a lot more dynamics (rock, metal, dance). They've got my head bouncing more than the ESP-950. The soundstage isn't as large as the ESP-950; the music is more immediate and "in your face".

On classical and acoustic material though, I still prefer the ESP-950, genres where the detail shines and soundstage plays more of a factor. But for sheer sound presence on modern music, I greatly prefer the Fostex.

Comparing the vastly different sound signatures and presentation makes me wonder if it is truly possible to have a single set of headphones that excels in all areas. Right now, I'm listening to the Fostex about 80% of the time, but there's that 20% of material that has me reaching for the ESP-950.

It really does appear that "there can't be only one"... which I hate. There's nothing more annoying than having to choose different cans for different recordings/genres. If I had never heard the ESP-950, I would have been perfectly fine with only the Fostex... and vice versa. Not to mention the cans above that led me to these two. Oh, the journey...

If I had to pick just one of my cans, it would be the Utopia. For second choice it's a toss up between the PMx2 and the Fostex TH900. Obviously everyones testes are different.

I've only listened to the first rev of the TH-X00 and compared to a lawton modded TH600, the TH600 was much tighter. Bass was downright flabby on the TH-X00. Again, this was an early version. Still, I recommend you try the TH610. If the treble is too much, try some MrSpeakers Doggie Treats.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #2,803 of 4,052

Pardon, but a DAC is part of the chain from the source. That is a nice DIY DAC, if my search is right. Are you using an OPPO, a VPI, a DAP, a PC, a Mac - what is the source? My Onkyo player on my Android phone has a parametric equalizer. My PC player is foobar2000, there is a 30 band EQ plug-in that works wonders. They don't add harmonic distortion, but that's why you've got the speedball tubes in the chain, yes? Anyway, I think that's why Allanmarcus stated "Depending on source, your music player may have an eq." For myself, fixed 9 band EQ is not very subtle. That Minifbq even has a switchable 75Hz filter - wha? So... What is your source? Can the EQ be addressed in the digital domain, before going through to the analog stuff? 

Gotcha, my misunderstanding. It varies occasionally but generally my source is my MacBook Pro (15" touchbar 2016) feeding the DAC via USB. I didn't like the software EQ I tried, but I haven't tried a lot of options

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #2,804 of 4,052

Gotcha, my misunderstanding. It varies occasionally but generally my source is my MacBook Pro (15" touchbar 2016) feeding the DAC via USB. I didn't like the software EQ I tried, but I haven't tried a lot of options

What player are you using? What EQ did you try? What didn't you like? We might be able to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back