KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Aug 21, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #1,921 of 4,052
6 weeks is too long for a repair. It's my understanding that with most models, Koss simply replaces the headphones with a new set. I understand that since these are not cheap throwaways that it makes more business sense to fix them, but after being in once they should just do a replacement.

If I was in this situation, I would call them and  talk to a manager to understand what they plan to do this time around, pushing for a replacement or a commitment that the turn around time will be quick. Get names, extension numbers, etc. Be firm but be nice. Push to have them issue a call tag to pick them up at their expense.  I've read many posts in the past where people got their 950's back in 2 weeks or less, so this may have been a freak case, since the OP mentioned that Koss may have initially thought they has been lost. So hopefully this is not the new normal for Koss repairs.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #1,923 of 4,052
Interestingly, I have never (yet) had a problem with my set.  While it may be looming on the horizon,
I'm just enjoying the time I have.
Hibuck..

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,924 of 4,052
6 weeks is too long for a repair. It's my understanding that with most models, Koss simply replaces the headphones with a new set. I understand that since these are not cheap throwaways that it makes more business sense to fix them, but after being in once they should just do a replacement.

If I was in this situation, I would call them and  talk to a manager to understand what they plan to do this time around, pushing for a replacement or a commitment that the turn around time will be quick. Get names, extension numbers, etc. Be firm but be nice. Push to have them issue a call tag to pick them up at their expense.  I've read many posts in the past where people got their 950's back in 2 weeks or less, so this may have been a freak case, since the OP mentioned that Koss may have initially thought they has been lost. So hopefully this is not the new normal for Koss repairs.

I've read similar reports of quick turnaround, at least if you're located in the US. International shipping is always going to be slower and that isn't directly a Koss problem. As far as Koss replacing them - they apparently do attempt repair if its feasible, but yes they will replace them if they're unable to repair them for whatever reason. I would assume that if the pair went back a second time they'd be replaced. OFC call the 1-800 # if you want to clarify (IME they are much better on the phone, vs via email or written correspondence).

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #1,925 of 4,052
Agree. Koss email response varies quite a bit. They've always been good on the phone when I've had questions or needed  to order a part.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #1,926 of 4,052
  Interestingly, I have never (yet) had a problem with my set.  While it may be looming on the horizon,
I'm just enjoying the time I have.
Hibuck..

I've never had any problems with mine either, and they're going on ten years old. When I lived in Wisconsin, my visits to Koss HQ in Milwaukee were always positive, and it still surprises me somewhat to hear of freak cases like this since I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,927 of 4,052
I've been interacting with Koss support for various headphones of over 30 years and I've never had an issue.  I'm certain it happens but it has to be pretty rare. 

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,928 of 4,052
I just got the Stax SR-007 MKI along with the SRM-007tii driver, and I am comparing them to the ESP950 right now (driven by the SRM-007tii).

Just looking at cost ($1600 USD for just the Stax headphone, and $600 for the Koss, which includes the amp), I thought this wouldn't be a fair fight, but ..........

Shockingly, and based on VERY preliminary first impressions ,the ESP-950 holds it's own.  It's obviously not as balanced or resolved as the Stax, but we are talking about a third of the cost.

The highs, unsurprisingly, is the biggest difference (well, along with soundstage).  The Stax reaches higher, but isn't as stringent as the Koss.  The Koss, in comparison, seems to be have this elevated mid-highs that adds a little big of zing to the music.

The mids are great on the Koss, but the Stax are just so much crisper, smoother, and natural.  The Koss, shockingly to me, sounds artificial in comparison.

The bass is more natural and clear on the Stax, very clear, reaches very low, but the Koss trumps it by a fair bit in terms of quantity.

I used to have the SRM-001 MkII, and based on memory, actually drives the ESP-950 better.  The SRM-007tii seems to be too much of everything, too warm in the middle, and too squeaky on the high end.  Again, based on memory, the ESP-950 and SRM-001 MkII combo works really well, and is closer to the Stax 007 combo I have right now than the ESP-950+SRM-007tii combo.

Note that I have only been listening to them for about 30 minutes, and these are just first impressions, and I have only been listening to Radiohead right now (Airbag/How am I driving?, and Amnesiac so far).  I will test out some Buena Vista Social Club, Rage Against the Machine, Miles Davis, Red Hot Chilli Peppers (to see how they handle horribly recorded music), White Stripes (to see how they handle garage), and Sigur Ros later.

But I am having trouble going away from Radiohead now, sounds so gooooooood (Yes, I am showing off).

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #1,929 of 4,052
Note that I have only been listening to them for about 30 minutes, and these are just first impressions, and I have only been listening to Radiohead right now (Airbag/How am I driving?, and Amnesiac so far).  I will test out some Buena Vista Social Club, Rage Against the Machine, Miles Davis, Red Hot Chilli Peppers (to see how they handle horribly recorded music), White Stripes (to see how they handle garage), and Sigur Ros later.  
But I am having trouble going away from Radiohead now, sounds so gooooooood (Yes, I am showing off).

Some of White Stripes' catalog is pretty ill-recorded as well; maybe spin some Courtney Barnett or Cloud Nothings in addition to them to get a more complete picture of how each headphone handles the genre. As for Sigur Rós, með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust and Kveikur will probably give you the best combination of production value and musical contrast.

Let us know how your opinion on the comparison continues to evolve!

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #1,930 of 4,052

I'm fairly certain the set they sent me on the first replacement was new.

Too bad the left can totally went nuts.

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #1,931 of 4,052

I'm fairly certain the set they sent me on the first replacement was new.

Too bad the left can totally went nuts.

So did you contact Koss again and ask them to make this right?

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #1,933 of 4,052

Yes, it's been returned to them.  They wanted the E/90 as well this time, not sure why.

That's normal, and i try to tell people that they should just include it. 

When i sent my pair in, i sent it without the e/90. When i talked to them a couple weeks later they said they needed me to send it in. They said sometimes the e/90 needs repairs as well. 

I don't see the downside. They reworked something in the e/90 and sent it back with a new faceplate sticker (screws are behind the sticker). I got back the same headphone frames with a new arch and new drivers. 

I admit i don't understand the history. is it that some of the e/90 boards are defective or something? 

But yeah, whenever you send in an esp950, you should send in the e/90. Dunno why exactly, just do it. 

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #1,934 of 4,052

Yes, it's been returned to them.  They wanted the E/90 as well this time, not sure why.

When i sent my pair in, i sent it without the e/90. When i talked to them a couple weeks later they said they needed me to send it in. They said sometimes the e/90 needs repairs as well. 

I don't see the downside. They reworked something in the e/90 and sent it back with a new faceplate sticker (screws are behind the sticker). I got back the same headphone frames with a new arch and new drivers. 

I admit i don't understand the history. is it that some of the e/90 boards are defective or something? 

But yeah, whenever you send in an esp950, you should send in the e/90. Dunno why exactly, just do it. 

The first time I didn't.

I know it's not the E/90 because the ESP-950 behaves identically whether I'm using the E/90 or SRM-1/mk2 pro.

W/e.

I've been planning on picking up an SR-009 for a while too...

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #1,935 of 4,052

I don't think there's a defective revision of the E/90 (at least I've never heard of such), but they probably just do a checking-over. I also vaguely remember Spritzer saying there were calibration points they could adjust inside the E/90 to better tailor them to the headphones; maybe they're "paired" in some way at the factory and they want to ensure they're "paired" when sent back? idk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back