KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Jul 4, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #1,876 of 4,052
  Well, it's happened, I'm back to a one-headphone main system. No matter what I buy or try, I can never quite shake the feeling that the ESP950 is as good as it gets for me. After owning an HD650 for a year, I've decided that Sennheiser's former flagship is about as close as a dynamic gets to the E90/ESP950 in terms of sound signature, but the Koss gets rid of the HD650's often frustrating slowness and heaviness of impulse response. The humble ESP950 is like a fusion of all the traits I liked about Grado's PS1000 (speed, air) and the HD650 (warmth, intimacy).

I guess it's time now to start looking into upgrading my E90, since it looks like I'm settled into one headphone for the forseeable future.

ESP950's MSRP is over $1000 (and was even higher than that), it is kind of unfair to compare the HD650 with it.

Try HD700 maybe.

Jul 4, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #1,877 of 4,052

ESP950's MSRP is over $1000 (and was even higher than that), it is kind of unfair to compare the HD650 with it.

Try HD700 maybe.

Wrong. LCD 2's were often compared to the HD650. Anyways, only a fool equates price with anything.

HD700 is a joke.

Jul 4, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #1,878 of 4,052
LCD2 to HD650? How do you compare, they are totally different phones (from comfort level to sound sig to amp requirements).

Anyway, is the HD700 that bad? I have never heard one, but I quite like the HD800 sound, and have always thought the 700 is just a dumbed-down 800.

Jul 4, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #1,879 of 4,052
  MSRP does mean something, provided they are from respectable companies, with normal distribution channels. i.e. not the kind of "dealer only" system Stax uses.

Anyway, is the HD700 that bad? I have never heard one, but I quite like the HD800 sound, and have always thought the 700 is just a dumbed-down 800.

No. MSRP means dick. And I have no clue what you're implying with Stax. They're more niche, sure.
Woo, Headamp, Amazon sell Stax. So..

It's just wonky. Nothing like the HD800. 

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #1,880 of 4,052
What's a decent, cheap cable you can use with that Mouser power supply?

I use a Pangea AC-14 SE that I paid about $6o for. I think the new version is more money. But really I'd just get the power suppy and use a generic cable with it and call it a day.

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #1,882 of 4,052
I use a Pangea AC-14 SE that I paid about $6o for. I think the new version is more money. But really I'd just get the power suppy and use a generic cable with it and call it a day.

What kind of generic cable could work? Sorry I'm not super hardware savvy and I'm not sure what I'd need to fit the port in the supply

It uses just a standard IEC connector power cord. Many amps,preamps, and some Cd players use this if they have a detachable power cord. Your PC probably uses it too.

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #1,883 of 4,052
It uses just a standard IEC connector power cord. Many amps,preamps, and some Cd players use this if they have a detachable power cord. Your PC probably uses it too.

This will do correct? http://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-2-Slot-Non-Polarized-IEC320/dp/B006VZIEZQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436071801&sr=1-6&keywords=iec+power+cords

Thanks for the help!

Jul 5, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #1,885 of 4,052
  This will do correct? http://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-2-Slot-Non-Polarized-IEC320/dp/B006VZIEZQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436071801&sr=1-6&keywords=iec+power+cords

Thanks for the help!

If you're getting this power supply from Mouser, that's the wrong connector. It specifically needs an IEC C13 connector (IEC is a standards organization; there are a variety of different IEC connectors).

I've been getting 15 amp-rated power cables for my equipment, it feels like a reasonable compromise between using any old cable and using whatever's audio-fashionable. Tripp-Lite's are reasonably priced but they're not the only game in town (Monoprice is probably cheaper, even), so you can shop around if you want.

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,886 of 4,052

Try HD700 maybe.

The HD650 is still considered by many to be Sennheiser's best current headphone, especially since the company took a turn towards a flat sound signature when they introduced the HD800 as their new flagship and followed it with the similar signature of the HD700. The HD650 also responds incredibly well to high-end amps, and you'll notice that many people with TOTL setups keep their HD650 around and listen to it often. Just because the HD650 is a good deal in today's market (down from when Sennheiser used to fairly strictly enforce their $500 MSRP) doesn't mean it should be disregarded as a competitor in the high-end realm. It was considered the best headphone on the market by audio presses back in 2003, and it still competes very well today.

Besides, in what I wrote, I was providing perspective based on other headphones I've owned. It wouldn't have made sense for me to compare the ESP950 to the HD700, since I haven't even auditioned the HD700. I used to HD650 as an example because I've very recently owned a pair, and because it has a general sound signature that strikes me as similar to the ESP950. I don't think it's an invalid comparison just because of a disparity in price, just the same as I don't think the comparison to the PS1000 is invalid because Grado's top model retails for $1000 more than the ESP950 based on current Amazon pricing. That's a much larger difference, so I find it puzzling that you didn't mention it as well.

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #1,887 of 4,052

If you're getting this power supply from Mouser, that's the wrong connector. It specifically needs an IEC C13 connector (IEC is a standards organization; there are a variety of different IEC connectors).

I've been getting 15 amp-rated power cables for my equipment, it feels like a reasonable compromise between using any old cable and using whatever's audio-fashionable. Tripp-Lite's are reasonably priced but they're not the only game in town (Monoprice is probably cheaper, even), so you can shop around if you want.

Just ordered that power supply and that cable. I'll report back when they arrive.

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,890 of 4,052

They've completely failed.  That was fun while it lasted...

Unusual. Sucks that you have to avail yourself of the warranty so soon. 

Yeah I shot off an email to koss, back to the takstars.

I'll be at the SF canjam, really want to sample the mid-high hifiman lineup.

Essentially got a free Asgard 2 with the Uberfrost ($350 for both, a steal), so may as well put it to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back