Koss DJ100's vs KRK KNS 6400 & AMP choice.
Jul 3, 2012 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kaspars

New Head-Fier
I'm having a bit of a struggle deciding between Koss DJ 100's and KRK KNS 6400's.

I listen mostly to rock, dubstep, electronic & ambient music. I've read tons of posts about these two, and I'm guessing DJ 100's would be better for this kind of music because of better mids & bass than 6400's? On the other hand, 6400's have a detachable cable, which I see as a huge bonus (but not that I can't live without it). Which one of the two phones has better isolation?

Another thing is the AMP choice. I know you need one for DJ 100's, but what about 6400's?
ATM I'm looking at FiiO E5, E6, E7 & E11. Which of these would be the best?
I'll be using the phones on PC (integrated sound card) & MacBook Pro (mid 2010), occasionally with HTC Desire.
Would there be any advantages of using DAC (e.g. FiiO E10 or similar) over portable AMP?

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 5
For those genres i'd easily suggest the DJ100 over the KRK KNS-6400, even over the 8400. The 8400 and 6400 are quite good for ambient electronica though. One of my favorites actually.

The KNS headphones don't use a standard cable BTW and you'd have to buy one directly from KRK. It's cable is somewhat annoying.

There is another version of the DJ100 called the Tony Bennett edition and it includes a case, album download and detachable coiled cable. You can get it for about $25 more I believe.

I like the E5 with my DJ100, but the E11 is worth the extra money over the E5 I think.

Not sure where you live, but you can now demo the DJ100 at any best buy in the pro audio department. Guitar Center has the KRKS. Maybe you can get them to let you demo a pair.

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I'm having a bit of a struggle deciding between Koss DJ 100's and KRK KNS 6400's.

I listen mostly to rock, dubstep, electronic & ambient music. I've read tons of posts about these two, and I'm guessing DJ 100's would be better for this kind of music because of better mids & bass than 6400's? On the other hand, 6400's have a detachable cable, which I see as a huge bonus (but not that I can't live without it). Which one of the two phones has better isolation?

Another thing is the AMP choice. I know you need one for DJ 100's, but what about 6400's?
ATM I'm looking at FiiO E5, E6, E7 & E11. Which of these would be the best?
I'll be using the phones on PC (integrated sound card) & MacBook Pro (mid 2010), occasionally with HTC Desire.
Would there be any advantages of using DAC (e.g. FiiO E10 or similar) over portable AMP?

PC's come with low cost DACs (Digital to Analog Converter), Apple products seem to come with decent DACs, HTC ?
I like the combo of the Asus Xonar DG sound card and the Fiio E11 amp.
The Xonar DG gives your PC a half-way decent DAC.
Then you plug the E11 into which ever device your want to use.

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 5
I'm not from the US, and where I live (Latvia), both of them are sold only online, so I don't really have a chance to demo them.

Looks like I can get the Tony Bennett edition from amazon ( not sure if I want to wait 3-4 weeks until they arrive though :) ). Is it basically the same DJ 100's with some mods or do they actually sound different?

As for the AMP, I guess I'll go with the E11, if it's good enough when connected to a PC/MAC instead of a portable media device. Or is it worth going for E7? I would rarely use the phones with my HTC, therefore AMP is a priority for PC/MAC no HTC.

Another thing I forgot to ask earlier - how are the DJ 100's for acoustic music (acoustic rock, alternative), compared to 6400's?
And how are they in general compared to Senns HD 215's. I've listened to 215's (MacBook Pro -> t.c. electronics desktop konnekt 6) and I actually enjoyed them, although they didn't seem very good for rock music. Used standart iTunes rock EQ. Maybe that was to blame, I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back