Koss DJ100 vs AKG K240 vs HD595
Jan 4, 2011 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

shnitz

100+ Head-Fier
I was doing a portable headphone shootout, so while my bed was covered with headphones and wires, I decided to pull out a few more pairs to compare.  I used a Macbook Pro connected to a udac and then to an Audio-gd Sparrow.  However, I believe that the only headphone that benefits from an amp here is the K240 Studio. Still, I used it since it was there.  The headphone amplifier definitely leads to a fuller sound for the K240.  However, I still stand by my signature's statement that they sound perfectly fine unamped (i.e. better than most anything you'll find up to the same price).  So, if you are just getting into headphones, then don't worry, they will sound fine without an amp.  Anyway, on to the review:

First, the loser here.  The Sennheiser HD595 just don't hold up, especially for their price.  Come on Sennheiser, you want people to pay how much for these?  You really think they're worth $289?  They sound OK.  The instrument separation is amazing.  Being completely open explains why the lows and the lower mids just fall out compared to the other two headphones here.  The bass is high quality, but it's relatively low.  The other headphones here resonate more; they carry more weight behind them.  For example, in the instrumental intro to the Beatles' "Come Together," while you hear everything fine, it sounds flat.  Being so open means that they're unbalanced, the lows don't come through enough.  Sennheiser's engineers EQ'ed out all of the bass.  Plus, these things look flat-out goofy on your head compared to other headphones.  Cliff's notes: If asked to again, I wouldn't even pay $100 for these, compared to what else is out there.

Next, my favorite, the AKG K240 Studio.  What a great can for $100.  There have been a few threads where someone asks for the most comfortable headphone, and invariably people recommend both the K240 and the HD555/HD595.  Sorry, the Sennheisers are definitely above average comfort, but they have nothing on the K240.  Especially the K240 Mk II, which comes with spare velour pads in addition to the pleather ones, it's now no contest.  The sound of these is great.  I have to say that they're probably the favorite headphone in my collection.  Nice long cable for working at my desk, sitting back and relaxing, not ripping the headphones off of my head when I reach for a dropped pencil, etc.  I use them for movies, games, and music.  Compared to the Koss, the sound is equally as good between the two.  The Koss were definitely deal of the year for a readily available purchase (no price mistake, no clearance, just regular old $50 from Best Buy's store or website).  Both the Koss and AKG have the same resonance and clarity, very good for the price.  The Koss has slightly more bass.  The Koss sound is rougher around the edges, with a sharp, articulate sound, while the K240 sound is more rounded (These are just the adjectives that come to mind when listening, I hope they are making sense to you guys).

While they're out, I tested the DJ100 vs the AKG K518LE.  The Koss have greater instrument separation, while the K518 have a more upfront sound.  This means that the Koss is more spacious, while the AKG leads to a more controlled sound.  I want to use the term "compressed" to describe the AKG compared to the Koss, but I don't want it to be taken the wrong way, as I'm not using it in a bad way.  The bass is about the same for both headphones.  On the plus side, I don't think anyone would get tired from wearing the Koss, while the AKG are too notoriously uncomfortable; if you recommend them as a first headphone, it's going to be hard for a new user to get past the comfort issue to enjoy the sound.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 3
Thanks for the review. I agree with most of it, but I myself do think the DJ100 does benefit from an amp. Some may not agree. I still honestly can't suggest someone buy them without one.  I guess if it doesn't sound good enough without an amp, they're easy enough to return. In my area, out of 5 Best Buy stores, only one has them. If anyone hasn't noticed yet, I've been raving about the DJ100 since day one. Best $80 headphone I ever bought and it's my #1 favorite headphone under $150! I prefer them to the SRH-840, HD-555 and M50. I find them amazing for female vocals, especially stuff like Imogen Heap.

Believe it or not the DJ100 and the K240 Studio are also my two favorites under $100. I find the K240 Studio would be quite neutral if it wasn't for it's slight bass boost. It's certainly not bass heavy though. While I had my DJ100 out on loan for a month I used only the K240 and loved them.

The sound on the DJ100 is more forward to me. I find the mids slightly forward, but not as much as say the K601 or my new ATH-AD2000. They are not so forward that they'll fatigue your ears. I've found the DJ100 is good for NOT making my ears tired! The K601's mids can fatigue my ears a bit with some music.

Despite the semi-open design I've found the K240 Studio's soundstage a bit disappointing and prefer the DJ100 for this area. For gaming I actually prefer the DJ100, but sometimes all those details are more "in your face" and I don't always want that so i'll use my K601 instead since it's a bit more neutral, but still has those forward mids and a much larger soundstage. Comfort is also better.

K240 Studio is also great for gaming and movies too.

For those with the DJ100 I suggest the M30 pads. The default pads don't always have enough depth for many people and without a good seal the bass could get reduced. The MDR-V6 pads might also work.

BTW I've found that my first pair of DJ100's didn't need burn-in, but it took almost three days for my 2nd pair to sound like my first. My first pair died due to a mistake on my part. Oops. 24 hours of burn-in is more than enough, but it might not even be needed.

NOTE: The DJ100's were definitely just on sale, but for a very long time. They've been on sale twice for $50 since they've been released. Regular price is $80, which is definitely worth it considering how good they sound. I do wish that for that price they had better pads with more depth. The M30 pads make the comfort a 8.5/10 or maybe even a 9/10!

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 3
Just to voice a different opinion about the Pro DJ100. My wife tried them out for the whole day and said they have a similar trait to the Shure SRH840, with the headband pushing on your head after a while, to the point when it becomes really painful to wear them for longer periods, so now she refuses to wear them at all! :) My personal opinions on them you can read about in my comparison of 7 closed headphones, if you're interested:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/575445/7-closed-headphones-vs-dynaudio-bm15-monitors-srh840-ath-m50-ath-a900-rh-300-q40-hfi680-pro-dj100-etc

Sadly, I haven't tried any of the AKGs so far, mainly because, from what I've read, their phones are too thin sounding, with over-pronounced mids (like grados) and no bass. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. I used to have HD595, and I really enjoyed listening to music and watching movies with those. They have their weaknesses (not enough bass, although it's a quality bass, some blur in the highs (read my review, it is mentioned there), but other than that for music listening or especially movies it does not get much better, IMO. Working with music is another story though. They are little "liars", those phones, and I would not recommend recording / mixing with them.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back