Koss Deal on UR55
Nov 23, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 7
These things are amazing when modded. That stupid grill and fabric behind it really holds back the sound quality and soundstage. In fact, my $30 DHP-II sounds better than the un-modded UR-55. But that's a great sounding headphone though. Out of the box the UR-55's bass is kind of bloated. Modded the sound quality improves by like 50%. Seriously. I even compared the un-modded and modded pair side by side.

The UR-55 modded is one of the best headphones I've heard under $100. It's comparable to my modded Grado SR-80 in sound quality. No joke! I have both of them. It's not as good as my DJ100 but it doesn't need an amp.

BTW after modding them, these would be an amazing headphone for $50 for gaming. I've tried it. Imaging, Soundstage and the level of detail is pretty impressive for a $50 headphone.

This is also one of the first cheapies I've had where 128kps Mp3s sound like garbage and you can even hear recording hiss!

Here's my thread on it. Yeah, I was bored and I like talking to myself I guess:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/523930/koss-ur-55-soundstage-and-grill-mod#post_7077038

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 7
Deal's Gone

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 7

I did see them at my local Best Buy today for $39.99. Not the same deal, but still on sale. Kind of.
My Best Buy was sold out of the UR-55, but they never have more than 5 in stock.
Luckily I didn't see any other headphones I wanted despite getting a Best Buy gift card.
Just my luck too, both the items I wanted were out of stock so I had to stick with a CD.

Quote:
Deal's Gone

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 7
I picked one upp today. pretty good, a little clampish on the ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back