KOSS A250 from KOSS eBay thread
Jul 3, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #541 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by prona
Internals of an A/130 to compare with the Optimus. (NOT a KSC75 driver).

Yes indeed!!!

Jul 3, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #542 of 701
Kramer, have you opened up your a/250's? If so, do their drivers look similar (or exactly) like the a/130s?

Jul 4, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #544 of 701
ebay purchase of a130 that shipped with TWO loose drivers. Fixed both sides with acid free artists tape. No more rattle here, now to get 50-100 hours burn in time.

BTW, these phones sound good to me and are much easier to drive than my K240M's but no way I would consider having paid MSRP of around $165. Not only is the packaging to pointing to the lowest common denominator, the phone construction is weak.

The sibalance of NIN may drive me away until further burn in has completed.

So far, I'm not unhappy with my $26 purchase. Couldn't say the same of a >$100 purchase.

Koss deserves better marketing and construction decisions than this though.

So maybe I'll open my BKH3 (KSC-55) purchase to compare to 75's now.

Jul 5, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #545 of 701
I decided last week that the A250s would have to be improved upon if they were to keep a place in my collection. They're too bright for me, and with the blu-taked A130s around, I have no reason to listen to them.

My main desire is to try stuffing the cups full of cotton balls. Alas, I pulled off the pads and found that, unlike the A130, the A250 has no screws holding the cup together, it must be glued together. I don't want to destroy them.

My next impulse was to do a sort of reverse-k81dj mod, and find some foam to insert between the driver and my ear to smooth them out a bit. Of course, I didn't really have anything fitting the bill, but a couple of cut-to-size shop towels made a small effect in the right direction. I'm still thinking about where I could get some suitable foam. Any ideas?

Come to think of it, maybe sometime soon I'll try adding some cotton into the A130s for funsies...

Jul 5, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #546 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave al'orange
I decided last week that the A250s would have to be improved upon if they were to keep a place in my collection. They're too bright for me, and with the blu-taked A130s around, I have no reason to listen to them.

My main desire is to try stuffing the cups full of cotton balls.

Ya, I sold mine for that reason. I already have two other open cans that I prefered, and for the most part I found the A/250 too bright...though for some reason with movies it actually worked in their favor. For watching DVD's, I found the A/250 was much better than both my K601 and HF-1...but I don't watch movies with headphones often enough to justify keeping them for that.

You might try some Poly-Fil instead of cotton balls, craft stores carry it in huge bags for a few bucks. I used it in speaker enclosures when I was into car audio. I put some in my Kosby's.

I can't be happier getting the K81DJ's, they are the $hit.
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #547 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave al'orange

My main desire is to try stuffing the cups full of cotton balls. Alas, I pulled off the pads and found that, unlike the A130, the A250 has no screws holding the cup together, it must be glued together. I don't want to destroy them.

My next impulse was to do a sort of reverse-k81dj mod, and find some foam to insert between the driver and my ear to smooth them out a bit. Of course, I didn't really have anything fitting the bill, but a couple of cut-to-size shop towels made a small effect in the right direction. I'm still thinking about where I could get some suitable foam. Any ideas?

Come to think of it, maybe sometime soon I'll try adding some cotton into the A130s for funsies...

Have you tried adding resistance to the A250's? It's well known that adding 75 ohms of resistance to the Koss 60 ohm drivers provides a nice benefit to the sound and the A250's (and probably A130's) are no exception. I am using a 75 ohm adapter cable with a Total Airhead amp which is fairly warm so that is probably one reason that they don't sound overly bright to me (well, that, and way to much loud music when I was younger
tongue.gif
). Of course, a couple of good reasons to keep the A250's, even with the A130's, are:

1) They were the deal of the century
2) There aren't any more
3) Lifetime warranty
biggrin.gif

4) The A130's build quality (
confused.gif
)

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #548 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
Have you tried adding resistance to the A250's? It's well known that adding 75 ohms of resistance to the Koss 60 ohm drivers provides a nice benefit to the sound and the A250's (and probably A130's) are no exception. I am using a 75 ohm adapter cable with a Total Airhead amp which is fairly warm so that is probably one reason that they don't sound overly bright to me (well, that, and way to much loud music when I was younger
tongue.gif
).

Absolute news to me, mate. Where would I get such a thing, and how much do they go for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I can't be happier getting the K81DJ's, they are the $hit.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, congrats. They are the best lil' travelin cans this side of Witchita.

Jul 6, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #549 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Orange
Absolute news to me, mate. Where would I get such a thing, and how much do they go for?

Well, that depends largely on your DIY skills. Some people simply solder the resistors directly onto the drivers. Some make their own cables. My DIY skills are pretty much none existent, so I bought a DIY cable from a fellow head-fi member. If you do it yourself it would probably cost < $5 to make. If you have someone make it for you, well then I guess the price is between you and them. For someone who just has a pair of Koss 60 ohm headphones because everyone else does too, the effort and/or expense may not be worth it. For someone who uses their Koss phones regularly, an adapter is, IMO, essential.

Jul 6, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #550 of 701
I bought some 68 ohm resistors at Rat Shack. They improved my Kosby's.

Jul 12, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #551 of 701
I miss this thread.
frown.gif

Just felt like saying I'm enjoying my A/250s very much. I find them excellent and fun for straightforward rock, such as the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Eagles of Death Metal, and Deerhoof(well maybe they aren't so straightforward :p). At the same time, they have the detail and airyness to deal with more complex music, such as Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, and Pink Floyd. Movies are pretty amazing through them, as others have mentioned, and they also seem to work pretty well for gaming.

Of course, I don't have my DT990s to compare them with at the moment. But I can say they are a big step up from everything else I have working right now.
biggrin.gif

Well worth the absurdly low price.

Jul 12, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #552 of 701
Deal of the century or not people still have preferences and the A250 will not suit all no matter how cheap. I love mine to bits and really enjoy the sound with many music types. Good detail, air and spaciousness to the sound and nice bite when needed. Still the deal of the century for me unless I find a set of SRX 3 /III for $50
lambda.gif

Jul 12, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #553 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimothy
Well worth the absurdly low price.

Agreed. Just be careful of the glue joints that hold together the little boxes that contain the earcup-release buttons. Preventative intervention in the form of some cleverly-applied epoxy is very much recommended.

Jul 12, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #554 of 701
Yes, very much worth the price, but ouch they can be bright sometimes. Not the best phones for poorly recorded modern music. They also need tubes pretty badly, but they do sound terrific with a good old overly lush tube amp.

Jul 13, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #555 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25
IS that a set of ear muffs re framed with a coat hanger?

Close, but the coathanger is made of brass according to the patent i read that's listed on mine.

I just picked up a very similar pair for a whopping 1.99 plus shipping..

I prised the cup apart to see how big the driver is and much to my surprise, its frickin huge. and as it was made in 1962, is actually a paper cone speaker.. I'd guess the diameter is something like 80 mm.

Kinda explains the honkin bass out of these buggers. Oh and the're surprisingly comfortable all things considered

Of course I look like a complete tool wearing them mind you.

Build quality is first rate, considering theyre even older than I am. I only I'd aged as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back