KOSS A250 from KOSS eBay thread
Jun 25, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #511 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
I still prefer 'massive bass'. 'Turbo bass' is just trying too hard. Everyone still enjoying their a250's? I'm wondering how people's impressions have changed now they have had some time with them - mine were completely destroyed by my dismantling effort, so I don't really remember what they sounded like except for 'very good'.

They still sound awesome! However, I have discovered that I have to be careful what I listen to with them because they are so detailed that they make bad recordings and low quality rips sound...well, bad and low quality. On the flip side, though, they really make good recordings shine. My only complaints are: 1) the release mechanism for the driver units is too easy to hit accidentally and 2) the "poophy" headband is not really "poophy" enough and I find it a bit uncomfortable. But those are very minor things. All-in-all I still consider this one of the rare deals of a lifetime.

a250smile7tw8pb.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #512 of 701
Well, we haven't had any activity for a few days so I just wanted to see if any of the new A130 owners cared to share their impressions. Or if anyone whose been using the A250 or A130 for a while now would care to post an update?

a250smile7tw8pb.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #513 of 701
Honeymoon over, still a great can for the price, but they still don't trump my LTDs for closed or K701 and HD600. They will be my bargain stand bys and my travel cans. Not regretting my purchase, I have just gotten over them.
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #514 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
Honeymoon over, still a great can for the price, but they still don't trump my LTDs for closed or K701 and HD600. They will be my bargain stand bys and my travel cans. Not regretting my purchase, I have just gotten over them.
biggrin.gif

How do they compare to the DR150's?

Jun 28, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #515 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
How do they compare to the DR150's?

Haven't made a comparison yet. I will do that and get back to ya. Stay tuned...

Jun 28, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #516 of 701
I just got an A130 yesterday and I have the rattle problem in both sides.
basshead.gif
mad.gif
I used acoustic paper (ok paper towel actually) and some silicon. The rattle is gone. I took some pictures but there isn't much to it. Just put padding at the 3 prongs holding the driver down.
k1000smile.gif

Now I've got another A130 on the way for my wife. They are great for work.

Jun 29, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #517 of 701
What is with all the A/130 problems? I am starting to see why they were selling them off at so much less than the A/250. The A/250's I bought had ZERO problems. Sounded great, everything worked, the detachment mechanism's had no problems, and even the foam over the drivers took several tugs without a tear. I think the A/130's are much older stock or were not stored in the proper environment. Maybe it was some over heated/cooled warehouse somewhere and they forgot about them?

Speaking of the A/130 and closed cans, who can tell me about the A/130 compared to the K81DJ?

I am very interested in that AKG, but I have not heard it yet. Considering people said the A/130 sounded similar to the A/250 (which I am familiar with), I figured I could use this to extrapolate some feelings on the K81DJ.

Jun 29, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #518 of 701
Mmm, AKG K81DJ and Koss A130...
Add in the KSC-75 and you have the ultimate trifecta of bargain listening power.

The A130 and the k81 actually sound quite similar. The A130 is more detailed and revealing than the k81, I'd say, and is more comfortable, but is much larger and has poorer isolation, so is less of a train-riding can for me. Also, it seems much much less durable. The k81 is indestructible, I would trust it to stop a bullet to the ear.

The A130 stock signature is sort of like the k81 with the foam pulled out, and the k81 stock signature is very similar to the A130 with some blu-tak added in. I like the darker sound for each, personally.

In the latter configuration, the A130 is still more lively feeling and crispier. The k81 seems darker and more laid back. The soundstage on the A130 is noticably wider, but the k81 really does hold its own in that department (unless you somehow manage to buy one of the ones that doesn't...)

This is all off-the-cuff, I really haven't pitted them against one another yet (been too busy). Because I have been so busy, I still haven't put more than maybe 30 hours of on-head time on the A130s, but I am quite certain that (after the blu-tak mod) they are the best headphone I've ever heard (almost all the phones I've heard are listed in my sig.)

Jun 29, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #519 of 701
My A250s rattled right out of the box as well...

Jun 29, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #521 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
My A250s rattled right out of the box as well...

Maybe I just got lucky with my pair then. Hopefully their new owner will enjoy them too.

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #524 of 701
Ugh. Frankly, I'm disgusted with this eBay seller. Absolutely amazing how many defective A130s have popped up. I won't quite go as far as to judge Koss as a company based on my eBay purchases, but koss4129 is either getting neutral or negative feedback from me. If I really felt like wasting my time, I'd start a Paypal dispute over this. He/she simply can't lie about the item's condition and waive all responsibility when the buyer finds out that something is wrong with it. But hell, the seller is getting off easy, saving $7.20 (my cost for shipping back to Koss) at the expense of one negative/neutral feedback.

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #525 of 701
I got two pairs of A250s and neither rattles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back