KOSS A250 from KOSS eBay thread
Jun 2, 2006 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 701

TheSloth

Headphoneus Supremus
It seems more than 1 of us ordered the $33 KOSS A250 headphones from the Koss corp. outlet on eBay, so I thought we could do with a thread to document the experience.

Mine arrived today, and I'm currently stunned by the performance of these $33 headphones. I read somewhere they retailed for well over $100 and I can see why. These are just initial, pre-burn-in impressions but so far these are smooth and enjoyable headphones, for classical music. They are currently slightly bass shy, and have something of that slight KOSS midrange colouration (less so than any other KOSS dynamic I've heard), but otherwise they are smooth, extended and accurate. I just sent back the new $179 MV1 (though it is closed) which sounds horrible in comparison. The ear cups are quite comfortable - it is indeed the exact same casing as was used for the well regarded ESP-950 electrostatic headphone, so if you've seen one of those you've seen one of these.

So far, there is no question that these are a friggin STEAL. Only 12 left guys...

Edit: some pics!

P10100025.JPG

P10100016.JPG

Note the 4 conductor dual entry cable (4 conductors laid out side by side back to the plug), terminated in full size 1/4" plug.

Edit again: was just looking at the product museum at koss.com and saw a closed back pair of headphone from the 90's called R-10's...

Edit: found the original retail price in the mid-late 90's was $250.

Jun 2, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 701
Mine should be here in a couple days!!
If its slightly bass-shy compared to the porta or KSC75, thats a GOOD thing, both of those phones can be a little bass-heavy IMHO.

GO TEAM KOSS!!

**edit**
Wow those are nicer looking up close, than on the ebay site.

The BIG question is.... Does it use KSC35 drivers?... Hard to tell from the pics, but the driver perforation screens look different.

This is Legit folks, Unleash the wallets!!

Garrett

Jun 2, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Mine should be here in a couple days!!
If its slightly bass-shy compared to the porta or KSC75, thats a GOOD thing, both of those phones can be a little bass-heavy IMHO.

GO TEAM KOSS!!

Garrett

Oh, I have just joined TEAM KOSS! These are just getting better and better. As for the bass, the extension is all there. I suspect these actually have a very flat bass response, relative to the somewhat elevated curves of most of the current high-end open headphones.

Jun 2, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
**edit**
Wow those are nicer looking up close, than on the ebay site.

The BIG question is.... Does it use KSC35 drivers?... Hard to tell from the pics, but the driver perforation screens look different.

This is Legit folks, Unleash the wallets!!

Garrett

I really don't think so about the drivers, just because of how good it sounds. Maybe KSC35 drivers are really so good that when you put them in a circumaural enclosure they really shine. This is a high-end headphone.

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 701
I got mine this evening and i must say I'm impressed..

Out of the box they sound very very good..

and yes they look a lot better than on ebay. They're light but not flimsy, and the little bag is nice.

I'm not much for writing reviews of headphones, but i'll say this. for this price it's a complete steal.
I just listened to Karma Police on these and it sounds better than I've ever heard it.
very precise, smooth delivery of the highs.. and the bass is plenty adequate, in fact i'm thinking the lower end is more accurate than my K240's.

btw this is played through my laptop Echo Indigo heaphones amp. nothing special.. may have to move to the other pc and try the AV710/Go Vibe combo..

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by TempestX
Go Team Koss!

Like I said in my review of the Koss Pro4AA T's vs. AKG K 701's.

The moral of the story here, is don’t judge a phone by their price point.
wink.gif

Well this headphone is an example of the horrific marketing that koss have been guilty of over the years - you'd take 1 look at the packaging and words on the front like 'massive bass' and 'max-out isolation', and see the nasty moulded plastic and think '$10 headphone'. Then you'd see the $250 price tag and thing '$250 for this?'.

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Well this headphone is an example of the horrific marketing that koss have been guilty of over the years - you'd take 1 look at the packaging and words on the front like 'massive bass' and 'max-out isolation', and see the nasty moulded plastic and think '$10 headphone'. Then you'd see the $250 price tag and thing '$250 for this?'.

Agreed.

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 701
TheSloth---Do me a favor as they break-in more. Let me know if they have more weight/substenance/texture in the drums, sounding what drums should sound like up close and live. (snares, all cymbals, kick/bass drum etc.) Chimes like chimes, bells like bells, piano has weight like a piano should and sustains the sound as a piano should like my Pro4AA T's sound to me. This is something that so far only I found Koss to get right to my ears.

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by TempestX
TheSloth---Do me a favor as they break-in more. Let me know if they have more weight/substenance/texture in the drums, sounding what drums should sound like up close and live. (snares, all cymbals, kick/bass drum etc.) Chimes like chimes, bells like bells, piano has weight like a piano should and sustains the sound as a piano should like my Pro4AA T's sound to me. This is something that so far only I found Koss to get right to my ears.

Will do sir. Though, I'm still very surprised by your comments about the AAT's. They are closed headphones using KOSS's latest titanium driver, and having heard the absolute mess they made of the MV1 which might even have the same driver (250ohm titanium) I'm surprised that you are happily comparing them to the K701.

Of course, I would happily compare the 250's on my head to 701's, but they are open and use a completely different driver.

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Will do sir. Though, I'm still very surprised by your comments about the AAT's. They are closed headphones using KOSS's latest titanium driver, and having heard the absolute mess they made of the MV1 which might even have the same driver (250ohm titanium) I'm surprised that you are happily comparing them to the K701.

Of course, I would happily compare the 250's on my head to 701's, but they are open and use a completely different driver.

Understood, but these are still based on the old tried and true Pro4AA's, so not much has really changed except the design a little and the titanium. So same style ear cup/rubber cushion design. Oh and weight.

Plus easy A/B listening for me since my amp has 4 headphone jack's with individual volume controls.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back