KOSS A250 from KOSS eBay thread
Jun 20, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #452 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
damn. well considering $6 ain't bad for a brand new set. I am surprised you are so annoyed with them, when they are selling these cans for virtually nothing. To each his own.

You see, I already paid $25 for what was supposed to be a "brand new" set.
rolleyes.gif

Are you saying that the price justifies their sending me a defective product and expecting me to pay extra for servicing it or getting a replacement? I really don't understand your logic on this.

___

And it appears we have a 3rd defective A130. Maybe we can start a Head-Fi group soon!
redface.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #454 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghingus
2) the driver is clipped into the headphone loosely, thus they rattle if you shake them or when the bass frequency is just right.

I noticed this as well when I popped the hood. I would imagine that a simple dab of Loctite where the driver housing and the frame touch should be all you need to fix it.

Or maybe some secret Grado glue
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #455 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Giving my 250s a quick listen now and everything checks out nicely. I already prefer these to the MS1 and way more than the Senn 580/600. Very nice, especially for rock/metal. A definite steal, I likes them.

going by that, the A130s with the tac mod suppose to sound better then the A250s....What....you telling me those cans are getting close to the HD650??
basshead.gif

my A250 haven't arrived yet and you guys are making me wanting to buy the A130
icon10.gif
could this all be over hyped cos they're cheap?

Jun 20, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #456 of 701
Update: I took the tak out (i added too much and the soundstage suffered a bit) and let it burn in for another 18 hours (total of 50+ now). My goodness, they sound completely different! The highs are back but they are just right! The bass is very quick and reasonably precise. Even last night, I was thinking to myself that these headphones were good but still not better than my KSC-75 and my KSC-35. Today, I'm pleased to say my A130s sound much better than the KSC's! So yes, burn in is the secret. They change radically after extensive burn in. This sort of reminds me of my old HD280s, where they really shaped up after 200 hours of burn in. If you haven't gotten a pair of A130s, what are you waiting for???
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #457 of 701
Don't go by anything I say about the Senns as I really dislike them anyway. However, these are really nice irrespective of price. I'd still like them a lot if they were $300 which is a lot less than I paid for a set of HD 580s years ago. They are just a good sounding fone and more comfy to me than the Senns too. They seem to be better balanced overall than the MS1 and have a nice 'bite' to them which I enjoy for a lot of music. I find Senns way too relaxed and bland for my tastes. Great soundstage too, lots of air around them. Awesome for stuff like 'the lens' prog rock.

*EDIT* Just tried some Miriam Stockley new age stuff... YOWEEEAAAAARRGH!! my ears just got singed to little crispy nubs with the searing sibilance of a certain track!

If there's strong sibilance in the recording these can be painful.

Jun 20, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #458 of 701
I did the tak mod, and they sound a LOT better. I also had the rattle thing going on and glued it up while I was takking, and it fixed it. Fixed easily enough, save your 6 bucks...

The tak rolled off the bright highs nicely and did bring out more bass. Perhaps after some extended hours of break in I will take the tak out to see how they sound, but it sounds great with the tak in and about 3 hours of use... Great can for the money! I'm excited to give the A250s a run. So many cans, so little time...

Jun 20, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #459 of 701
Ok, sonofa B I am amazed by all these rattly drivers. I just fired up my A250s and they were rattling with Norah Jones playing, not a whole lotta bass there. I'll open them up and glue them and hope that fixes it.

Jun 20, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #460 of 701
The A130s + 80 hours of hard burn-in + blu-tak = very very niceness.

Even after a lot of burn-in they were still too bright for me (but I'm sensitive; if you like Grados, you'd have no need to tak-mod these,) but the blu-tak really laid them back a little. The tak nearly completely eliminated the mid-bass dip, and the highs are now just about right. I'm still debating adding a little more tak...

Jun 20, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #461 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
I did the tak mod, and they sound a LOT better. I also had the rattle thing going on and glued it up while I was takking, and it fixed it. Fixed easily enough, save your 6 bucks...

The tak rolled off the bright highs nicely and did bring out more bass. Perhaps after some extended hours of break in I will take the tak out to see how they sound, but it sounds great with the tak in and about 3 hours of use... Great can for the money! I'm excited to give the A250s a run. So many cans, so little time...

Sounds good. What kind of glue did you use?

Jun 20, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #462 of 701
To all those with rattling drivers: I had the same problem with my UR40's when I removed the foam pad from behind the driver. Sounds like the A250/130 use the same system for holding the driver in place. The way I fixed my UR40's was by taking a very small amount of poster tack and rolling it into a very, very thin bead. I then laid the bead of tack into the "tray" where the driver sits and then just seated the driver down into it. No more rattle and it's reversible ('cause you just never know). Thankfully, my A250 is not rattling (yet).

a250smile7tw8pb.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #463 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave al'orange
The A130s + 80 hours of hard burn-in + blu-tak = very very niceness.

Even after a lot of burn-in they were still too bright for me (but I'm sensitive; if you like Grados, you'd have no need to tak-mod these,) but the blu-tak really laid them back a little. The tak nearly completely eliminated the mid-bass dip, and the highs are now just about right. I'm still debating adding a little more tak...

Just be careful, you wouldn't want to lose much soundstage with these cans... I'm still wishing these had a tad more bass, but I guess that makes them a good counter to my A900LTDs which are quite a bit more bassy. Still sounding pretty nice though.

Jun 20, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #464 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by cclragnarok
Sounds good. What kind of glue did you use?

I also just used the blu tak for the rattling. I shouldn't have said glue...

Jun 20, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #465 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
To all those with rattling drivers: I had the same problem with my UR40's when I removed the foam pad from behind the driver. Sounds like the A250/130 use the same system for holding the driver in place. The way I fixed my UR40's was by taking a very small amount of poster tack and rolling it into a very, very thin bead. I then laid the bead of tack into the "tray" where the driver sits and then just seated the driver down into it. No more rattle and it's reversible ('cause you just never know). Thankfully, my A250 is not rattling (yet).

a250smile7tw8pb.gif

Mektarus - that's a good solution. For those without tak, I slid tiny folded up paper into the space between the driver and plastic holding it in place, producing a snug fit. They were audiophile quality paper inserts, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back