Originally Posted by kramer5150
Yikes!

Thanks for pointing this out.

Yeah, even as a recabling nut I wouldn't recommend it
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #437 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
They refund the shipping cost for one of the items to your account.

Rather late, but thanks a lot.
tongue.gif

The seller never answered my email
mad.gif
so you really helped.

I just placed the orders for A130 and BKH3 today. Hopefully I'll get the headphones (and the refund) soon.

The Blu-Tack mod looks promising. I'll do it if I find the phones too bright, which is likely since I seem to find a lot of headphones too sibilant for my tastes.

Jun 19, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #438 of 701
My A250s have already broken. And I barely got 15 hours of use out of them. The release button on the left can seems like it lost a spring or something to keep the button pushed out to keep the it connected to the headband.
frown.gif

Guess I will have to take advantage of the lifetime warrenty on these. But hell the shipping is going to cost me almost as much as the cans did originally.

Jun 19, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #439 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust
My A250s have already broken. And I barely got 15 hours of use out of them. The release button on the left can seems like it lost a spring or something to keep the button pushed out to keep the it connected to the headband.
frown.gif

Guess I will have to take advantage of the lifetime warrenty on these. But hell the shipping is going to cost me almost as much as the cans did originally.

Had you removed the phones from the headband or did it just break through regular use?

Jun 19, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #440 of 701
I removed the headband to put the phones and all in the leather bag they came with. When I pulled them out of put together and listen to them is when I knoticed this. I looked in the bag and saw no spring or anything. So no idea what happened it it.

Jun 19, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #441 of 701
Just got both pairs today. It's true, the packaging is rediculous, something I would expect to find at a dollar store. I'm listening to the A130s now. They need to break in, no where near my A900LTDs out of the box, but that doesn't matter. They seem to have a decent soundstage for closed cans.

These are super comfy. One problem so far, the material the earpads are made out of sucks! It rubs against my hair and makes a lot of noise.

Jun 20, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #445 of 701
In regard to the extra pairs of KSC55s showing up in packages, here's the reply I got from Koss:

"Dear Bryan,
Thank you for contacting Koss Stereophones.
The extra KSC55 was an error on our part, so please keep it!

Thank You,

Customer Support
Koss Stereophones
1-800-USA-KOSS
www.Koss.com"

Jun 20, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #446 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thade
I just received A130 and I also have a rattly driver...maybe 2 but the right side is much more pronounced
frown.gif

So far in my talks with Koss:

My first e-mail:
"Hello! I recently received my shipment for the items I purchased from you (1 Koss A250, 1 Koss A130, and 2 BKH3's.) I also received two pairs of KSC-55's in the box. If this was a mistake, please provide me instructions on how to go about returning these to you. If they happen to be a gift, then I thank you!

Now, upon testing my headphones for proper operation, I found that the A130's drivers are rattling inside the enclosure. The sound is not affected, but whenever I lean my head slightly to the left or right, I can noticibly hear the click-clacking of them. It was in this condition when I received them, so I would interpret this as a defect in the product. As such, I would like to either receive a replacement pair of A130's or a refund (out of the two, I would prefer a replacement.) Anywho, if you would like them returned in either instance, I would like to reimbursed for shipping them back. Please reply with how you would like to go about this. Thank you."

Koss's reply:
"The KSC55's were a mistake on our end. You may keep them. All koss products are covered under the lifetime warranty:
http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/cs-warrepair"

My response:
"You sent me a defective product, I don't see why I should post shipping at my expense AND send Koss a $6 check for repair/replacement/refund (a ~$12 loss on a $25 item.) This is a perfectly sensible warranty when purchasing from a retailer, because if it was defective the second I got it I could simply return it to them, and if anything went wrong later I could use Koss's warranty.

Say if I bought a pair of Koss headphones on eBay from an unaffiliated seller and they were stated to be in 'new' condition, and they turned out to be defective upon arrival. Now say when I report this to the seller, they simply waive responsibility and say just to send it to Koss under their warranty. Would you consider that to be fair to me? That theoretical situation is no different from the current state of this transaction. I'm asking you to take responsibility for your defective item and make this right. Thank you."

I would be careful before buying anything from this seller. Chances are that you'll receive a properly working set (although there's at least 2 defective A130's out of ~20,) but if they continue to insist that I incur an over $10 loss on something that's entirely their fault, then just know what you could be in for.

Jun 20, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #447 of 701
you sure it isn't just the sound of the pleather? i noticed the pads make a lot of noise with very little movement. you should see if it does it, with the pads not touching your ears. hold the cups about an inch away and move them, see if the sound you describe still occurs.

Jun 20, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #448 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
you sure it isn't just the sound of the pleather?

Absolutely certain. They click and clack around in there, plus my A250's are fine in comparison.

Jun 20, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #449 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
Absolutely certain. They click and clack around in there, plus my A250's are fine in comparison.

damn. well considering $6 ain't bad for a brand new set. I am surprised you are so annoyed with them, when they are selling these cans for virtually nothing. To each his own.

Jun 20, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #450 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt

Disiskurt is right - my A130s that I just received today do the same thing. I also had the misfortune to recieve a pair that after 2 minutes (literally) stopped working out of the right can. I opened the right can up to see what the problem was and found two things - 1) the soldering is very shabby work and 2) the driver is clipped into the headphone loosely, thus they rattle if you shake them or when the bass frequency is just right. Madness. Interestingly enough, I lightly touched the wires close to where they are soldered to the drivers and wallah! the right can is working again. I put everything back together and the headphones are working for now. I guess I have the magic touch. There's no scientific explanation. Its a spiritual thing, I guess. Send your broken headphones to me if you want me to lay my healing hands of power on them.

Regarding the rattling, if you wanted to you can open up the cans and superglue the drivers down so they are no longer loose. This should solve the problem. I'm going to do this once I am annoyed enough at the rattling to go to the effort. So far, sound wise, I'm fairly pleased. Right out of the box it competes with my SR60s, and that isn't bad. No where near the detail of my K601, though. I'll revisit their sound after more burn in.

One thing is for sure, these things are very poorly put together. It's all about the sound / low price tag ratio. They are very comfortable, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back