Korg MR-1: Can this be used as a portable player?
Jun 19, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #106 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if only this korg has optical out or coax, this will become very perfect to beat iriver ihp100+D10
biggrin.gif

Why do you need digital out? It has an internal dac capable of very high resolution file decoding.

-Jim

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #107 of 261
Turns out that Luna commerce is very helpful - Charles, their sales manager, writes that he uses a Korg mr1 himself, and has changed (successfully) to a 80 gb Toshiba MK8025GAL 5mm 4200rpm 80G HDD "by using a flex spared from a cheap HDD enclosure". He also writes that the MK1231GAL will NOT work "because this model is produced for iPods only" - he tried it. He is now trying out a newly arrived 120gb Samsung HS12YHA and thinks it will work. I'll keep you posted.

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #108 of 261
Luna reports that the 120 gb Samsung HS12YHA does not work out, too slow or wrong connection, so i've changed my order to a 80gb tosh disk MK8025GAL that does work ok - still a x4 increase, which in my case at least is valuable.

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #109 of 261
Charles at Luna writes that
"2. Samsung HS12YHA is really slow when installed in MR-1, it took almost 8 Min to copy 900MB of files into it, on the other hand Toshiba MK8025GAL only took 1 Min max. I think it’s compatibility problem because HS12YHA is much faster on computer IDE port."

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #110 of 261
Getting the best vinyl recording - experience so far
- Aesthetix Io at 12:30 volume or so, balanced to the Korg Mr. Whatever your input, good cable matters. I record my source a bit low, rather than too high (not good with anything. and especially not with dsd).
PlaybacK:
- Korg at 55 or so line level out, Audiotalilor Jade at almost full (5:15 or so), my active speakers (sony srs) at 11 or so. This gets the best best sound so far, in terms of desktop speakers, on my own desktop, according to my ears.
- The Jade ,like other dedicated headphone amps, are of course best with headphone. Yet the benign effect on active desktop speakers is reat - an unexpected bonus.
- To my ears, there is no doubt that improved resolution (dsd though the Korg) and improved amplification (Jade OTL) match very well.

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #112 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by oghoter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Luna reports that the 120 gb Samsung HS12YHA does not work out, too slow or wrong connection, so i've changed my order to a 80gb tosh disk MK8025GAL that does work ok - still a x4 increase, which in my case at least is valuable.

I'm thinking the same thing myself! In the long run the Korg MR-1 may actually be happier w/ the 80g drive rather than a 120g drive! At 80g for my use that still would be a least 40 hi rez music files or the equivalent of the same amount of SACDs if I decided I wanted to put that much on it. I don't know of anyone who has 40 SACDs worth of music to listen when they are out. I have a few hundred SACDs & it always bothered me that I had to listen to the CD layer when I was out(as good as the CD layer sounds it still sounds slightly "digital" in direct comparison!)

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #113 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how big is the size of 1 DSD song file?

Songs ,huh thats a little tough for me as I've as always listened to abums or whole CD/SACDs. Where a CD might be 300 to 600mb (give or take 50mb either way) DSD/SACDs might be 1.5g to 2.5g in size. I think the ratio of DSD files are about 4 to 6 times the size of PCM(standard CD)files.

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #114 of 261
DSD file length: songs are usually 1-200 mb each. The average LP length is 800 mb per side, 1.6 gb total. Some are longer, 2gb or more. Transferring 10 of these files (5 albums) from Korg to PC, total 8.49 gb, takes 8 minutes, in my case. Standard DSD files are, generally, ca three times bigger than they are in CD format (and dual-speed DSD twice that again). Of course there is an inconvenience limit somewhere. With these big files everything takes time. Yet the DSD sound is so clearly superior that one doesnt look back.

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #115 of 261
Is 160 to 180gb the max practical hdd size? "The MR-1 is able to recognize only up to a total of two hundred folder and files within this [AUDIO] folder" (Manual p 44) - 200 files x 800 mb = 160gb. This may be changed in a future version of the MR-1 operating system, perhaps, but it hasn't happened so far (v. 1.5.1).

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #116 of 261
Here is a utility I developed to make renaming files transferred from a Korg a little easier. If you find bugs or can suggest a smarter way to do it, please tell.

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #117 of 261
Oghoter, is there a formula that you use to setting the REC level w/ recording SACDs via the line-in input. I'm recording directly from the analog rca outputs of my SACD player & just guessed on reducing the gain level to -7.5db per channel . How well does the auto-gain level perform? the rec level appear to be okay but I won't know till playback in about an hour? I've gotten so used to the convience of transferring files that recording in real time is going to take some getting used to again.

Jun 20, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #118 of 261
My general experience is, go a bit down in record level. I record from vinyl, not Sacds, and my preamp has variable output which works ok at about 12.30 volume knob position. I dont use autogain but stereo with 0db gain (default). It may be I should go back to my -2db gain level (with volume more like 13.30) that I used before. I had to reset the Korg and havent checked the best setting. Usually the best amp should carry most of the load, and in my case, that is probably the preamp, so I will check this further. But, from a SACD, wouldnt it be better to get the digital file direct to the korg, converted to .dsd (or .dsf, .wsd)? Not possible?

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #119 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by oghoter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My general experience is, go a bit down in record level. I record from vinyl, not Sacds, and my preamp has variable output which works ok at about 12.30 volume knob position. I dont use autogain but stereo with 0db gain (default). It may be I should go back to my -2db gain level (with volume more like 13.30) that I used before. I had to reset the Korg and havent checked the best setting. Usually the best amp should carry most of the load, and in my case, that is probably the preamp, so I will check this further. But, from a SACD, wouldnt it be better to get the digital file direct to the korg, converted to .dsd (or .dsf, .wsd)? Not possible?

Believe me if it were possible to go DSD direct to the Korg that is the route I would have taken. I believe the only way to tranfer DSD digitally is through a player that will pass DSD through an HDMI cable. Having said all that ,the recording I just made turned out pretty well. The Korg file sounds pretty much like an SACD. The reason I went directly from the source player to the recorder was to make the signal path as simple as I could to retain as much transparency from the original recording as I could. I haven't had the time to be hypercritical of the whole disc ,but from what I've listened to so far it seems to have retained a good bit of the upper frequency openness that I like about SACDs. The SACD I recorded to the Korg had killer good SQ to begin with(Tchaikovsky,Saint-Saens cello concertos;Pieter Wispelway :Channel Classics) so I guess further SACDs I "record" to the Korg will give me a better indication as to if my settings are correct. Thanks for your input!
Oh yeah, I was worried if I was going to be able to copy the DSF folder to another external hd because it's not Pcm ,as it turns out I was. This is a relief as I won't have to re-record the SACDs when I decide to move them from the Korg.(Which I'll have to do a bit until I increase the capacity on the Korg)

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #120 of 261
Turned out pretty well - nice to hear! Says something of dsd quality and the not-too-bad digital/analog conversion solution on the Korg i guess.
Signal path as simple as possible - yes, the right path.
Not hypercritical - agree, forget it.
Killer good SQ - meaning what?
Does your player have variable output, or fixed?
I was worried if I was going to be able to copy the DSF folder to another external hd because it's not Pcm ,as it turns out I was. - Copying DSF (.dff) files is no more trouble than other files, the Korg performs just like a standard hdd disk, whatever the file type.

I was under the impression that the MR-1 only plays back files (in the AUDIO import folder) if organized as in the recording system (each recording has its own folder and prj file), based on some writing on the net. This is not correct, the Korg will playback any .dff file no problem, but info like marks get lost in that case i think (not tested).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back