Korg MR-1: Can this be used as a portable player?
Jun 15, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #76 of 261
Upon making a search for "zitek" I received an "Invalid Username" message. Do I put a "Kibutz" on the ugrade plans for now?. I'm going to have to sleep on this!Has anyone else actually changed to flash on the Korg?(I still want to change to a higher capacity HDD. But I think it might be easier to find someone who changed to flash, just to confirm a change is possible. What a bummer! This should be easier to find out than it's turnning out to be!!)(I was googling Zif-cables & this thread was one of the listings;hope we can get some fresh knowledgeable posters from the exposure!)

Jun 15, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #77 of 261
If it works with the 32gb disk, it should work with other disks also (formatted to fat32, i think - perhaps the Korg will do that itself, if you select "format hdd".) Also, zif cables to the toshiba drives seem easy to find on ebay etc., unless the connector at the korg end is non-standard (seems to be standard - ?).

My question is: will the Korg accept a 8 mm thick disk (in that case, toshiba has models up to 240 gb), or only 5mm height (max 120 gb)?

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #78 of 261
Yeah, all this "pipe dreaming" is well & fine, but my point is was that 32gb cf conversion really a conversion someone did, or was it someone "just blowing smoke"? Why people do that is beyond me, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility that the poster was just trying to impress people by claiming to have done something he never actually did. Sorry for all the pessimism,as I just don't know what the truth might be!

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #79 of 261
I was just about to try the mod to sdhc card using a cf to sdhc adaptor I have but I dont have any zif adaptors, so once it arrives I'll let ya know how it goes.

I believe its been done, the amount of players that have been converted to cf or had larger hdd's installed, I cant see it being impossible on this machine, ive put a 120gb hdd into an iriver h140 body using a h120 motherboard before now and its just a case of formatting the drive and installing the firmware so I think it will be the same procedure for this, just a case of finding the right adaptors and ribbons etc for what you want to do.

Of course, things may not be "that" simple, but I seriously doubt its going to be a massive challenge?

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #80 of 261
Oops!! I did'nt notice the posting the posting from faichiu. Did I miss something on the link site that will translate this page into English? Well , I was able to get a Yahoo translation, but I'm having a hard time understanding the comments from step 6 & the information w/ the asterik. Faichiu, could you try to explain what is said a bit differently as the Yahoo translation might not be correct on this part. I believe he is talking about the Korg OS being recognized after the install, but I don't know whether he is saying we have to take certain steps or it is being done automatically by the Korg! Thanks

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #81 of 261
what the link said is:

just format the CF card to fat32 before connect to korg mr-1.
the korg mr-1 will automatically create file system/folder to the cf.
there's no need to precopy the file system from the old hard disk.
and do not precopy songs to the cf.

at least 3 people from that forum did the cf mod sucessful already.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #82 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok here are some pics, apologies in advance for the size of them (if they are huge) and for the camera work, but anyone is free to save them to their hdd and resize then reupload to this thread, at which point I'll remove the offending ones from this post.

Thank you very much for posting the pics, dazzer1975!

-Jim

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #83 of 261
you're very welcome

actually, tomorrow, if I can be bothered I might take the 120 drive out of my iriver and see if it will go into the korg... the 120 I have is an 8mm and I wont be faffing about with with reformatting etc as I will be keeping the drive in the iriver but I might see if the cabling and drive fits ok.

I might anyway and I will report back on my findings if I give it a go.

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #84 of 261
ok, well the mk1214gah 120 gb connects upto the player but is too thick at 8mm to close properly and I didnt want to spend much time trying to force it etc, so I think 5mm is the limit perhaps for this player.

But, I just took it from my iriver and connected it up to the korg, the korg booted up but obviously didnt find any files or anything, this is going to be a dead simple reformat job imo.

I noticed when I put the drive back into my iriver the korg had written some folders to the hdd and all I did was turn it on for 5 seconds before turning it back off.

I think this is a prime candidate for the mk1231gal when it gets in stock, (coming soon at span, prob/poss in stock already elsewhere)

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #86 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upon making a search for "zitek" I received an "Invalid Username" message. Do I put a "Kibutz" on the ugrade plans for now?. I'm going to have to sleep on this!Has anyone else actually changed to flash on the Korg?(I still want to change to a higher capacity HDD. But I think it might be easier to find someone who changed to flash, just to confirm a change is possible. What a bummer! This should be easier to find out than it's turnning out to be!!)(I was googling Zif-cables & this thread was one of the listings;hope we can get some fresh knowledgeable posters from the exposure!)

It does seem to be real, I mean he does have a Korg MR-1 at least, he posted a pic here
And his last post was two weeks ago
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #87 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psykosis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does seem to be real, I mean he does have a Korg MR-1 at least, he posted a pic here
And his last post was two weeks ago
wink.gif

Thanks, wow ,is the case to his Korg MR-1 really flat black or grey or is that just lighting? It's much better looking than chrome finish on mine. (Just a bit of "How come his Korg looks better than mine?" It's not a big deal! (unless I'm in Moscow, & I just happen to see it lying around unattended, just kidding!)

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #88 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by JDUBS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great news! Any issues with using the existing cable?

-Jim

I used the existing cable attached to the drive in the iriver which was a white one one end and blue on the other, where as the ribbon used in the korg is blue on both ends.

Both of these ribbons are freely available on ebay for a couple of dollars, so my advice is to buy one of each (sometimes they come in a pack of two one of each) and then you have a cable suitable for whatever drive you use.

to detach the ribbon from the korg motherboard, simply gently pull or push backwards on the small black piece on either side of the ribbon holder, one side, then the other and it simply slides out.

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #89 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, wow ,is the case to his Korg MR-1 really flat black or grey or is that just lighting? It's much better looking than chrome finish on mine. (Just a bit of "How come his Korg looks better than mine?" It's not a big deal! (unless I'm in Moscow, & I just happen to see it lying around unattended, just kidding!)

just lighting
smily_headphones1.gif

any questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back