Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere:
Oct 9, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #467 of 1,681
I really should dust off my Ety HF5 and see how it sounds on this. Both seem to be budget detail kings, could make for an interesting listen. I would tonight, but I'm listening to my new toy with much joy.

Oct 9, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #470 of 1,681
Oh, sure do. Words are out to those I know that I need something from Australia.
Anyway, can fellow Australian mates let me know how many days for shipment to a hotel from Kogan. Thanks.

Depends on which part of Australia. I'm in Melbourne CBD. Placed my order on sunday night, order was processed and dispatched on Monday morning. Arrived to me on Tuesday afternoon.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #472 of 1,681
I'm in the states and got a 4gb version of the player as a sample from Chinese dist. I had to jump through hoops and have a retail shop with confirmations to make it happen. Never planned on keeping it but curiosity got the best of me. Headfi
rolleyes.gif
. Had the back off and it's identical to the inside pic in this thread. Outside as well except it's white which I think it looks even better with less contrast to the chrome edge. Menu is identical as well. It seems to like some phones better than others but I can see what you guys like about it. The right pairing can be pretty impressive. Got it as a lark and will be moving it on. Cost me about $50 because of crazy expedited shipping so somebody in the US will get it for that.

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #473 of 1,681
  Ok so i’ve just received both the X1 and Kogan and have been doing some A/B’ing between them. Without any EQ applied, the X1 bass sounds bloated, it has more punch than the Kogan, but the bass starts to creep into the mids and highs, creating a veil over clarity. The Kogan on the other hand, sounds a lot more analytical, vocals are clean and crisp and it appears to extract more detail out of my tracks than the X1. Transparency is the word that comes to my mind upon first listen. Sound staging is also wider than the X1. Now i’m not saying which is the better DAP, that’s for you to decide, but for my tastes I should have saved myself $100 and skipped the X1.

So, having decided that Kogan > X1. I then pitted it against something waaayy higher in the price bracket - my GeekOut IEM DAC. A/B’ing them, I was immediately struck how the detail extraction of the Kogan was nearly on par with the GeekOut. The only thing noticeably lacking was the bass response on the Kogan - its rather bass light and doesn’t rumble like the GeekOut. The GeekOut bass is tight, deep and has a good decay with decent punch, but not overly done as in the X1. 

Comparing it to something even sillier, my HM-901 (balanced amp card). Now obviously the Kogan can’t hold up against it. Everything is better across the board with the 901. But seriously though, as i’m sitting here still listening to the Kogan, the same thought keeps repeating in my head - “What are we paying so much more for other DAC/DAPs when the Kogan can perform this well at only $29?!” H20, I could not thank you more for stumbling upon the Kogan, you’ve done all of us a great favour. Good on ya mate. 

*Tracks were tested using FLAC format, auditioned with my UM Miracles. 

Shut up and take my money 
biggrin.gif
  Btw, thanks for the comparisons.

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #474 of 1,681

So...Let's face it...probably I'll never listen to this player. Looking for an upgrade from my clip+, how's colorfly c3 compared to kogan?

Colorfly C3 is more natural and closer towards neutral (whereas Kogan leans slightly cool / thin), C3 sounds a little more refined too, it will not match the raw detail Kogan pushes out however has its own aspects and vibe. In short, Kogan sounds cleaner / clearer but C3 has a worthy personality of its own.

Pushing Kogan aside as you said getting one yourself is awkward I can tell you C3 is a fabulous player, one I've never sold. Many players have come such as Cowons (S9, D2+, C2 J3) Hifiman HM-601, several iPods but I sold them all because I personally feel C3 sounds better. Just remember C3 is a very basic player, you'll only play by folder one at a time, though it's price to performance ratio is impressive. (it will make a good alternative)

Btw: Members might have seen I have ordered FiiO X1, I want to see how Kogan fairs too.. Even though we now have two people submit impressions its no match for Kogan.

Those who have heard both X1 and Kogan, do you feel X1 can pull away when amping from line out?

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #475 of 1,681
I am looking for a fellow Aussie head-fier who can send me one. Please pm me.

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #479 of 1,681
  I'm in the states and got a 4gb version of the player as a sample from Chinese dist. I had to jump through hoops and have a retail shop with confirmations to make it happen. Never planned on keeping it but curiosity got the best of me. Headfi
rolleyes.gif
. Had the back off and it's identical to the inside pic in this thread. Outside as well except it's white which I think it looks even better with less contrast to the chrome edge. Menu is identical as well. It seems to like some phones better than others but I can see what you guys like about it. The right pairing can be pretty impressive. Got it as a lark and will be moving it on. Cost me about $50 because of crazy expedited shipping so somebody in the US will get it for that.

Just curious... what's the brand/model # for the Chinese version?

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #480 of 1,681
I suppose it is Ritmix RF-7650. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back