Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere:
Oct 7, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #454 of 1,681
Just got mine today with Lin's gracious help
biggrin.gif

Yeah, he's a top bloke that Lin character...
wink_face.gif

I swear Kogan must be scratching their heads with the sudden spike in their sales numbers for the DAP lol

Thanks to the legendary uncle H20...
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #456 of 1,681
Well, I've spent a little while trying the Kogan out with the Senn IE800, and while it's still fun to listen to, it feels like something is lacking. I'll probably use my vsd3 with it primarily.

Oct 8, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #457 of 1,681
Well, listening to the Kogan w/an AX35, I feel the duo can decently keep up with Rachmaninoff on his 2nd piano concerto. Actually makes for a decent portable setup.

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #459 of 1,681
Ok so i’ve just received both the X1 and Kogan and have been doing some A/B’ing between them. Without any EQ applied, the X1 bass sounds bloated, it has more punch than the Kogan, but the bass starts to creep into the mids and highs, creating a veil over clarity. The Kogan on the other hand, sounds a lot more analytical, vocals are clean and crisp and it appears to extract more detail out of my tracks than the X1. Transparency is the word that comes to my mind upon first listen. Sound staging is also wider than the X1. Now i’m not saying which is the better DAP, that’s for you to decide, but for my tastes I should have saved myself $100 and skipped the X1.

So, having decided that Kogan > X1. I then pitted it against something waaayy higher in the price bracket - my GeekOut IEM DAC. A/B’ing them, I was immediately struck how the detail extraction of the Kogan was nearly on par with the GeekOut. The only thing noticeably lacking was the bass response on the Kogan - its rather bass light and doesn’t rumble like the GeekOut. The GeekOut bass is tight, deep and has a good decay with decent punch, but not overly done as in the X1. 

Comparing it to something even sillier, my HM-901 (balanced amp card). Now obviously the Kogan can’t hold up against it. Everything is better across the board with the 901. But seriously though, as i’m sitting here still listening to the Kogan, the same thought keeps repeating in my head - “What are we paying so much more for other DAC/DAPs when the Kogan can perform this well at only $29?!” H20, I could not thank you more for stumbling upon the Kogan, you’ve done all of us a great favour. Good on ya mate. 

*Tracks were tested using FLAC format, auditioned with my UM Miracles. 

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #460 of 1,681
Hi Lieon, is it bass light overall, or just for comparison wise ?

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #461 of 1,681
Hmmm

I've been in need of some kind of Work out Rig, this might be just what I was looking for! Just need to find a Super Taut, yet V Shapped Close Back to pair with it and I'll b set! 
  Ok so i’ve just received both the X1 and Kogan and have been doing some A/B’ing between them. Without any EQ applied, the X1 bass sounds bloated, it has more punch than the Kogan, but the bass starts to creep into the mids and highs, creating a veil over clarity. The Kogan on the other hand, sounds a lot more analytical, vocals are clean and crisp and it appears to extract more detail out of my tracks than the X1. Transparency is the word that comes to my mind upon first listen. Sound staging is also wider than the X1. Now i’m not saying which is the better DAP, that’s for you to decide, but for my tastes I should have saved myself $100 and skipped the X1.

So, having decided that Kogan > X1. I then pitted it against something waaayy higher in the price bracket - my GeekOut IEM DAC. A/B’ing them, I was immediately struck how the detail extraction of the Kogan was nearly on par with the GeekOut. The only thing noticeably lacking was the bass response on the Kogan - its rather bass light and doesn’t rumble like the GeekOut. The GeekOut bass is tight, deep and has a good decay with decent punch, but not overly done as in the X1. 

Comparing it to something even sillier, my HM-901 (balanced amp card). Now obviously the Kogan can’t hold up against it. Everything is better across the board with the 901. But seriously though, as i’m sitting here still listening to the Kogan, the same thought keeps repeating in my head - “What are we paying so much more for other DAC/DAPs when the Kogan can perform this well at only $29?!” H20, I could not thank you more for stumbling upon the Kogan, you’ve done all of us a great favour. Good on ya mate. 

*Tracks were tested using FLAC format, auditioned with my UM Miracles. 

I've asked my self that alot, and at this very moment I've got a $30 beringher Dac and my Big NFB 10ES 2, the biggest differance between the two... tactility. The same differance also exists in my HE 4 an Senn Grado, both have a nice tone and sound great, but there's a tactility to the HE 4 that makes it... well "magical" makes the hairs on my neck stand up and boggles my mind, the Senn Grado for like 1/5 of the price has a VERY simmilar sound, but lacks that level of tactility

So, in response to you question. I've found that at the end of the day, high end gear and cans simply offer a more tactile sound, and that tactility is what makes live an in person music so great!  When you have a friend who can sing wonderfully, it's not just the sound of the voice that you remember, but how that voice felt as it hit you physically. 

Still though, if I'm at the gym I too busy PUMPING IRON to care or even notice that "tactility" I'm too busy feeling the burn lol. so that said... gym rig me gustah Kogan! 

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #462 of 1,681
Hi Lieon, is it bass light overall, or just for comparison wise ?

I'd say its light in comparison to my other sources. Perhaps the closest I can draw to in terms of bass is my Fiio E17 DAC. I suspect bass lovers may wish for more. To put things into perspective, I liken the Kogan sound to the Etymotic ER4S and the X1 to the Shure 535.

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #463 of 1,681

Comparing it to something even sillier, my HM-901 (balanced amp card). Now obviously the Kogan can’t hold up against it. Everything is better across the board with the 901. But seriously though, as i’m sitting here still listening to the Kogan, the same thought keeps repeating in my head - “What are we paying so much more for other DAC/DAPs when the Kogan can perform this well at only $29?!” H20, I could not thank you more for stumbling upon the Kogan, you’ve done all of us a great favour. Good on ya mate

Oh yeah...HE DA MAN!!!

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #465 of 1,681
Big YES. H2O brought forth joy and anxiety. Joy of ownership and anxiety to those who can't Haha. But just this one though and will somehow find a way to get one if I can. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back