Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 2, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #63,211 of 64,191
I think the most important change on pr3 is sensitivity. 98db is 2.5 times louder than 94db, so it also requires 2.5 times less power to drive(if pr3's really 98db). Pr2 was not actually a budget iem since the dac you need was actually more expensive than iem's itself. But with pr3, a common cx31993 should drive pr3 well and it can be founded for less than 10 dollars on ali.
Hmmm, I use my PR2v1 with KZ AZ09 Pro on the street, no problem. Sure, loudness is set close to maximum.

Dec 2, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #63,212 of 64,191
Oh boy, don't want to scare you off, but IIRC DQ6s was the one that had the big controversy about it concerning glued off and incorrectly wired drivers, with 2 out of 3 DDs basically doing nothing. Have they ever addressed that issue or did they come to conclusion that the fault lies with the person that discovered it and made it public? (like they recently responded to TDM when he complained about horrible channel imbalance in his review sample of PR3).

hmmm that sucks to hear, i knew a rushed buy might come to bite me.
Still, the actual reviews and graphs told me what i wanted to hear about the sound so i'm still hopeful.

In the ZSR v1, BAs in the nozzle completely blocked the DD and its still all my all time fave. Maybe KZ lucked one onto another good one lol

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #63,213 of 64,191
Yep, I'm not saying that it can't sound good if you just look at it as a single DD. Just felt the need to mention that DQ6/DQ6s played a major part in why the KZ brand is considered controversial and is avoided by many people.

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #63,214 of 64,191
Yep, I'm not saying that it can't sound good if you just look at it as a single DD. Just felt the need to mention that DQ6/DQ6s played a major part in why the KZ brand is considered controversial and is avoided by many people.

My general assumption regarding Chi-Fi hybrids is that some drivers are basically doing nothing.

If those guys actually implanted 5 drivers, each responsible for about 20% of the sound, what are the chances for the IEM to not sound horrible?

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #63,215 of 64,191
So after some years out of the game i felt compelled to buy something on Black Friday so i ordered the HBB DQ6s, hoping that it would fit to my very "unique" taste of smooth not-offensive-midrange IEMs.

I hope my ZSR v1 would finally have a partner in crime :)
You can look after CCA Polaris or KZ D-Fi if you are looking smooth not offensive midrange. Those two are very cheap nowadays.

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #63,216 of 64,191
My general assumption regarding Chi-Fi hybrids is that some drivers are basically doing nothing.

If those guys actually implanted 5 drivers, each responsible for about 20% of the sound, what are the chances for the IEM to not sound horrible?
Nah a lot of chifi brands have came on a long way since then. They've realised they can make way more money getting close to matching the western brands for build quality and undercutting them on price plus beating them on performance.

Chinese quality and IP is as good as any countries in the world, when they choose it to be. Also because they have a shared patent system that works exactly the opposite to the western world, where new ideas must be shared so others can copy and I proved things move very fast in china

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #63,219 of 64,191
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:I tried to work out the low pass frequency but it seems it is always about 2khz above the input frequency? So it actually doesn't work? But only reduce the resistance as the frequency goes up? I might ne wrong thou.
I think it is more like low and mid pass filter, with 2 layers that cut the high frequency, starting from 2k - 3k Hz.

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #63,220 of 64,191

That only true on low end IEM, once you get to kilobucks IEM, that’s not true anymore.

Kilobucks IEM sounded a thousand times better. I would suggest you to safe up and get one of those.

I would suggest to get Mest MKII which can be had for $650 used. Saving up 2 years of not buying Kz or CCA, you will thank me later. Once you hit the kilobucks, going up from there will be very miniscule change.

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #63,221 of 64,191

because they use passive crossover, generally the frequency for bass, mid, and treble are not entirely separated (assume that the iem uses 3-ways crossover). It means that the sub-drivers also play some mid and high-frequency, but not too much. If the system is not implemented well, it can have significant phase distortion and sound even worse than a single driver.

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #63,222 of 64,191
I would suggest to get Mest MKII which can be had for $650 used.
Do the pieces of gold foil mixed with the resin and carbon fiber contribute anything to its audio performance or is that just an unnecessary gimmick that only raises the price? Makes me question whether it's really worth what they ask for it.

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #63,223 of 64,191
That only true on low end IEM, once you get to kilobucks IEM, that’s not true anymore.

Kilobucks IEM sounded a thousand times better. I would suggest you to safe up and get one of those.

I would suggest to get Mest MKII which can be had for $650 used. Saving up 2 years of not buying Kz or CCA, you will thank me later. Once you hit the kilobucks, going up from there will be very miniscule change.
But this is not the end of the story.... I can elaborate on it a bit.... and fantasize a bit:

See the Mest II cost more than $1,000, and someone is already selling it for $650. That means he lost almost half his money at the time of purchase. Soon it will turn out that the Mest 4 will come out. Or 10 other flagships, which reviewers will praise to high praise. In the meantime, you will find that your flagships in one of the 21 armatures have suffered a malfunction and completely lost their value. After that, you'll buy cheap KZs again and find that they actually play pretty well too....

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #63,224 of 64,191
CCA Rhapsody by the graphs is so Moondrop-like... It is close to Variations by Paul Wasabi graphs.

1701569563569.png

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #63,225 of 64,191

Really not a believer in that. Maybe if sometime i'll get to audition something of that nature then i will.

Also, there's something to be said about taking a 1000$+ outside. I wouldnt feel comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back