Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 28, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #61,696 of 64,036
My PR2 arrived yesterday in good condition. Ordered April 27, delivered may 27. No surprise the promised ‘12 day delivery’ was not even close to being met. Arguably, once it got actually sent it got here fairly fast.

The PR2 sounds great and I am sure I will enjoy it. Mine is the version without the mesh.

I have now ordered the KZ 784 cable. Not from KZ Global though.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #61,698 of 64,036
Could you give me the link of this cable please? I don't know if you are referring to the silver or to the gold version
The regular silver blue version.

I've tested it for placebo by letting a few non audiophile friends compare it blind. They couldn't quite articulate what they heard but they mentioned it is definitely noticeable, and the general consensus is that it's clearer with the 784.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #61,699 of 64,036

I've tested it for placebo by letting a few non audiophile friends compare it blind. They couldn't quite articulate what they heard but they mentioned it is definitely noticeable, and the general consensus is that it's clearer with the 784.
Thank you very much!!! Do you know if the gold version also has low resistance?

May 28, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #61,700 of 64,036
May 28, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #61,701 of 64,036

I think someone graphed an objective slight difference earlier in this thread (or maybe it was on ASR?). The only time cable rolling actually makes a difference is when you go from a low impedance cable to a higher one or vice-versa (lower is better if you want the magnitude response from the IEM to be unaffected). My guess is the stock cable has a high amount of impedance. Did you also find that there was a volume difference at the same relative output power on the DAC when you switched cables?

May 28, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #61,702 of 64,036
I think someone graphed an objective slight difference earlier in this thread (or maybe it was on ASR?). The only time cable rolling actually makes a difference is when you go from a low impedance cable to a higher one or vice-versa (lower is better if you want the magnitude response from the IEM to be unaffected). My guess is the stock cable has a high amount of impedance. Did you also find that there was a volume difference at the same relative output power on the DAC when you switched cables?
Yes, I was the one who graphed it. And yes, it is definitely higher resistance and will require more power than the upgrade cable to reach the same volume.

Ie why I said the stock cables are garbage.

I'll reserve judgement on anecdotal evidence for now.

And while I do subjectively think it sounds better, I can't link it to the fr graph. In fact the differences I mentioned hardly even show up in the measurements.

Quote:
Bass is tighter and more punchy. Mids gain a bit more resolution. It sounded grainy with the stock cable.

I've seen far smarter people try to correlate it to some measurable characteristic like distortion but it's never conclusive.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #61,704 of 64,036
So while we are discussing the cable impedance, can anybody share how to measure it? What tools might be required?
@RikudouGoku might be the most qualified to talk about it

May 28, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #61,706 of 64,036
Well, they've arrived. Meshless version. My first impressions are:

1. The tuning is gorgeous. Just enough of everything for my tastes. I think I'll probably slightly tone down the presence/lower treble region and slightly boos the bass, but that's about it.
2. Resolution is 100% competing with my $730 Monarchs, and that smooth sort of timbre giving way to treble incisiveness from the planar driver is noticeable, in my opinion. I like it. The physicality of the driver leaves something to be desired, however.
3. There is unfortunately a noticeable channel imbalance above 10kHz. I had to EQ in a 6dB boost on the right side at around 16kHz to get the stereo image to not skew to the left. I think from using other IEMs that the way my right ear curves usually results in a 2-3dB mismatch in the treble, so this is just skirting the industry-standard maximum tolerance of 3dB (which I think is far too much, but that's a convo for another day)
4. The cable is terrible and switching cables (to one with the wrong connector, mind you, but just to test the difference) results in cleaner bass, sparklier treble, and maybe better detail retrieval. I think the planar timbre also comes through more in the highs. I actually prefer the tuning that the crappy cable provides, but I don't listen to anything without EQing anyways.

Overall, it absolutely is worth the 30 bucks I spent at this point, and even once I buy a cable and add that to the price it's still a good value. I just wish QC was better and it came with a better cable.

UPDATE: Here's the EQ profile I came up with using AutoEQ to a custom target I made and then tuning by ear. There was supposed to be one more band at 14 kHz reducing the highs by 3dB but I needed that band on the right side for the aforementioned channel imbalance correction. Anyways, feel free to try it out. Band 8 is the ear resonance correction, so adjust that for your unique anatomy.
Screenshot_20230529_125817_Qudelix.png

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #61,707 of 64,036
Experimenting with the changing the nozzle mesh to the 500 mesh, not pretty. The whole tuning changes significantly.

1685287753901.png

Nozzle filter removed
1685288242286.png

Tried the CRA Nozzle mod

1685289043477.png

Flatter curve but faster dip from 8 to 10k. Rolls off the air quite a bit, close to the bad unit.

speaking of which, i've combined the warm units (PR2 IV L and PR2 III R) which im going to call the bad unit from now on.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #61,708 of 64,036
May 28, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #61,709 of 64,036
UPDATE: Here's the EQ profile I came up with using AutoEQ to a custom target I made and then tuning by ear.

I'm running what could be considered a close approximate to the IEF '23 target from 1.5 KHz upwards to good effect. I almost always have to attenuate the upper midrange and presence regions, though, on whatever IEM I'm using. If not, I find the tonality too biting.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #61,710 of 64,036

Users who are viewing this thread

Back