Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 19, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #61,546 of 64,137
I'm interested in this too.
Mine seems to be on the move now, behaving like a real order.

Status is now ’Arrived at departure transport hub’. Tracking updates show on external sites like 17track too.

KZ Global took their sweet time and will not get a favorable review. Next order will be from KZ Official again.

May 19, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #61,547 of 64,137
Mine seems to be on the move now, behaving like a real order.

Status is now ’Arrived at departure transport hub’. Tracking updates show on external sites like 17track too.

KZ Global took their sweet time and will not get a favorable review. Next order will be from KZ Official again.

Is yours one of the early ~April 26-27th orders?

May 19, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #61,548 of 64,137
Can anyone contact HBB to ask about the intended design? And maybe a high quality picture of his unit.

Would like to see HBB and KZ response to different PR2's, explaining what is up with set having mesh and some not. Also see how they differ on the graph.

May 19, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #61,549 of 64,137
That's an unfortunate issue you have there...

By the way, here's Tyvan's official reply regarding on this matter as he can't respond here due to some technical issues he encountered:

Hello everyone, this is Tyvan from KZ official. First of all, thank you for your attention to our product, you know there is nothing that makes our day better than getting an email from some random person in the universe who just bought a PR2 in the US and tells us the story of how it's the most amazing planar IEM they have ever brought home in their life, that is what keeps us going. There is nothing better than getting better, that is what drives us. So does PR2.

Everything is the same as the previous one, with the same driver and graphics. But after we improve the PCB, the production efficiency will be higher, and the accuracy and consistency will be better at the same time. The mesh is the damping mesh. We stick a damping mesh on the speaker before, but the previous design with the mesh with potential risks to consistency, which also cause low production efficiency. Now, after we upgrade the PCB, meanwhile, changed the damper position to the outlet nozzle, and the mesh is not required.

-- Tyvan Lam, KZ Representative.

I just relay his message from our private chat in FB. Thanks.

Thank you for this. So this is kind of lottery for many people, who got and will get first batch sets. The question is now, how changes affect the sound and how old and new design graphs side by side, there must be a difference for sure.

In a way, I am now happy that my order took 3 weeks to ship, I hope it is this new "fixed" batch set coming.

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #61,552 of 64,137
I'd personally like to see a photo at the same angle as mine for a possible glimpse of the damper in the outlet tube.

IMG_20230519_183507-01.png
Me too. I thought they may have moved the damper to the nozzle. This will affect FR, just not sure if for the better. Wasn't KZ moving away from physical dampening and going all digital with the Zobel network?

May 19, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #61,553 of 64,137
Me too. I thought they may have moved the damper to the nozzle. This will affect FR, just not sure if for the better. Wasn't KZ moving away from physical dampening and going all digital with the Zobel network?
Did you see the official explanation posted in this thread from Lam? The suggestion is that sound output will be the same, dampener impact repalced by additional tuning via the PCB (Zobel). I'm not claiming the sound output remains the same, just referring you to the "official" explanation.

May 19, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #61,554 of 64,137
Did you see the official explanation posted in this thread from Lam? The suggestion is that sound output will be the same, dampener impact repalced by additional tuning via the PCB (Zobel). I'm not claiming the sound output remains the same, just referring you to the "official" explanation.
In that case, it would technically be a retuned version and they should call it something else instead of tweaking things between batches, which just makes people question what they actually purchased. I'm not too thrilled about the mesh on the driver ("previous design with the mesh with potential risks to consistency") because I can't remove it without opening the shell, only add additional dampening in the nozzle.

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #61,556 of 64,137
On cheap IEM news,

KZ EDXS
(1 DD with circuit tuning/passive filter, $12)
https://www.kztws.com/collections/all-products/products/kz-edxs

Seems to be KZ New 10 mm DD with new "better" circuit tuning or now they refer to it as "passive filter"

1_24cfef32-5075-4922-bbb2-8c1e7903cb08.jpg
5_f7528342-6b1e-4f28-8ca5-0955407eb18a.jpg

---
Early Reviews

actual semi open back with mild sound leak but apparently didn't feel as open back to the listener

and EagleOwl review
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-edxs-10mm-dynamic-driver-iem.26473/reviews#review-30787

---
Graph
MD Jacques Graph

Technically smoother in 2k~8k and with a drop in 10k compared to the OG EDX

EagleOwl Graph

346631250_214759241295211_26847883747944005_n.jpg

Not ordering any more off KZ until they send me the last one i have on order. They can release all the IEM's in the world.

Got a message from KZ. They told me, basically they are out of stock and people have to wait.

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #61,557 of 64,137
In that case, it would technically be a retuned version and they should call it something else instead of tweaking things between batches, which just makes people question what they actually purchased. I'm not too thrilled about the mesh on the driver ("previous design with the mesh with potential risks to consistency") because I can't remove it without opening the shell, only add additional dampening in the nozzle.
Wait a second. So did the original one come with mesh or without? There to many posts to read back. I'm guessing the new version is better than the old one.

May 19, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #61,558 of 64,137
Wait a second. So did the original one come with mesh or without? There to many posts to read back. I'm guessing the new version is better than the old one.
The original has the mesh. I ordered mine on the day of official release from KZTWS; I'm confident that it's the original version because of that.

It should look like the following:

IMG_20230519_183507-01.png

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #61,559 of 64,137
oh hey, my "delivered" PR2 finally tracks.
it was 27th april purchase and finally tracks on delivery now at 20th may.
it will takes another 2 week to reach me... heh not that far from the 1 june estimate by the app at the time of purchase

i still have PR1 Pro with me, so it should be pretty nice time to compare

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #61,560 of 64,137
I got a PR2 on order that just shipped, great to add it to my PR1 Hifi and PR1 Pro arsenal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back