Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 18, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #61,516 of 64,102
Don't buy from this store. They don't have it. They created a tracking number but didn't ship it. I called them out on it and they "canceled" the shipment.
1684423366693.png

May 18, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #61,518 of 64,102
Well, I don't believe anyone has compared multiple sets like this before so this issue could have been present since the beginning, but just flew under the radar.

Can other PR2 owners here chip in with a similar image so we can get a bigger sample size? The way I aligned the iems is by having the 2 pin jacks and the body of the iem both come into contact.

My set also has the mesh on top of the driver. It's from the original batch, purchased via KZ website.

If I had to guess, they took the PR1 driver and tried to dampen it to tame the highs and called that a PR2. PR1pro has a PCB board and 2nd gen driver, according to KZ documentation, hence the price difference. Guess we'll find out once hi-fri gets his set.

The newer PR2 batches would then just be repackaged PR1, with updated face plate, unless they used some foam dampening in the nozzle. This is concerning and I hope KZ can provide some insight into this batch discrepancy.

Attachments

• pr2.jpg
    pr2.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #61,520 of 64,102
My order still has no updates. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a fake tracking number. Anybody else in the same boat. KZ global store

Mine tracking number changed and is finally departing sorting center.

May 18, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #61,521 of 64,102
Soo should I cancel my order or not? Maybe the PR1 Pro is the better option. I'm extremely sensitive to channel imbalance.

Thank you all for your detective work, by the way. Just as we thought KZ was in a redemption arc...cracks.

May 18, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #61,522 of 64,102
First impression of a first time planar experience: Lean and clean, but the visceral sound of a DD is missing.

Now waiting for the brain burn in to kick in.

There's not much of power issue with my Tempotec or AK XB10. 50 and 40/100 is enough for comfortable listen respectively.

How does string instruments sound on pure BA IEMs compared to DD?

May 18, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #61,524 of 64,102
May 18, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #61,525 of 64,102
My set also has the mesh on top of the driver. It's from the original batch, purchased via KZ website.

If I had to guess, they took the PR1 driver and tried to dampen it to tame the highs and called that a PR2. PR1pro has a PCB board and 2nd gen driver, according to KZ documentation, hence the price difference. Guess we'll find out once hi-fri gets his set.

The newer PR2 batches would then just be repackaged PR1, with updated face plate, unless they used some foam dampening in the nozzle. This is concerning and I hope KZ can provide some insight into this batch discrepancy.
No, not really. The PR2 has that PCB supposedly. PR1 is still pricier than PR2 as well. And supposedly gets the 2nd gen driver too
And PR1 pro doesn't have the mesh either
(PR1 pro is nowhere near PR2 tuning either, it's too spicy to listen to)

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #61,526 of 64,102
IMG_20230518_192852.jpg

IMG_20230518_192805.jpg

I think they did change something in the newer batches, mine has front magnets visible while yours doesn't

When and what store you ordered your set from? It is really strange, I really wonder if they really changed it with new batches, or it is another one of those "ups we even forgot to add the mesh that we suppose to with this set" type of thing. Would be interesting to see differences sound and graph wise side by side.

May 18, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #61,528 of 64,102
I love my ASTs. You are right, they need burn in, unusually for an all BA model. They also scale well and benefit from balanced operation. You may like to read my review here:
https://audiosolace.com/kz-ast-review/
Definitely one of the best KZ's I have heard.
Couldn't agree more. After hours of burn in, they sound much better - a really good balanced IEM. Even scale well with a 4.4 cable to my RU6 and EF400. The ASTs could easily be priced significantly higher were they not from a ChiFi brand like KZ.

May 18, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #61,529 of 64,102
When and what store you ordered your set from? It is really strange, I really wonder if they really changed it with new batches, or it is another one of those "ups we even forgot to add the mesh that we suppose to with this set" type of thing. Would be interesting to see differences sound and graph wise side by side.
It makes sense for me to get the very latest batch as I'm only a few hours away from china, it took only 4 days to reach me.
Otherwise, it's a store from china on our local etail website.
Have been buying KZ from them for years, if there's anything funky it'll be very unlikely to be because of them.
I'm now waiting for my friend's copy to arrive. Should be here in a few days

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back